Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292531 times)

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #7110 on: January 07, 2017, 02:00:19 pm »

I got a sick 13 hit combo on a cyborg reindeer and beat it without needing to heal my party at all, though that may have been because all my healing items were on my main damage dealer and I didn't realize that inventories were character-specific.

Mother 3

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: January 09, 2017, 06:25:29 am »

(Not much of an own, just impressed myself because of how much I suck at the game)

Started my first play through as Spain, just looking to learn how the game works and fully expecting to get beaten in any wars I get dragged in to.
I start in '36 and start making a mess of everything, randomly placing factories and assigning production and generally being clueless. This proceeds for about 6 months until the Civil War pops (which I'd completely forgotten about whoops). I pick the Nationalists because I feel like I need the historical advantage and assess the damage. We've lost 4 ports on the north coast and 4 on the east to the Republicans, all but one of our operational air bases and control roughly half the country.
Thrown in at the deep end I split my forces in 3 and set up the front line, with each section ordered to gently push to recapture territory, which proves to be incredibly costly and ineffective. We manage to push through a gap in their line in the north and take back Bilbao with the help of a German volunteer division, but all along the rest of the front is stagnant. At this point my air force is already too crippled to continue fighting for air superiority, which the enemy hold from 2 months in until the end of the war.
I reassign units to different armies and alter their orders. Our line in the north will just try to hold against the superior Republican forces while the middle section of the front will attempt to push to the coast, as it's only about 4 territories away from the port of Valencia. Finally, a concentrated force in the south will aggressively push along the coast, flanking their front line and taking their ports to hurt their supplies. I also remember I own a navy at this point and set them up raiding convoys in the Med.
The strategy pays off big time and, while we take some losses in the north our southern force quickly pushes through Murcia and takes Valencia within 3 months. As the troops secure the city I see the Republican navy flee the docks and sail out into the Med. Didn't realise they had a navy. Ah.
All my raiding fleets join into one, only 12 ships strong, and begins a search and destroy mission to find and sink their fleet. We find them within the month, but I've underestimated their strength. They are also 12 strong, and it takes time for all of my ships to join the battle and we lose a destroyer and light cruiser in the initial skirmish. The fight looks tight, so I bring an extra 5 destroyers down from the north who arrive just as my battlecruiser comes into range. Steaming in, they make short work of the Republicans subs and then close in on their battlecruiser, sinking it after a short fight.
Meanwhile on land the fighting has reached a bit of a stalemate again. Having taken the large airfield at Madrid, the enemy no longer hold air superiority and their forces are weak, but they have the mountains and river to defend if I want to push on Zaragoza. Looking at the battle tab confirms my victories, the enemy are 90% of the way to capitulation due to losses of territory and cities. To save a long, bloody war pushing over the mountains I tell my men to just hold the line while 5 of my best divisions assemble in Valencia. From there, they will sail out and perform a naval assault on Barcelona. While this was far behind enemy lines, there was only 1 division defending it as all the Republican armies were busy holding the front. They begin the assault, and units begin peeling off the front line to run back and defend. In the next couple of weeks we push through to Zaragoza and reach the river Ebro before my naval assault team finally manages to take Barcelona. This gets us the last victory points we need, and Republican Spain surrenders to us. With 200k casualties overall and the war over by August 1937, I think it could've been a lot longer and a lot bloodier. Long live Generalissimo Franco.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: January 09, 2017, 11:38:42 am »

I managed to activate an Outsider in my first crashed UFO and, in the same turn IIRC, kill it with three soldiers. One of whom had 55~% and another with 45~% to hit.

XCOM: Enemy Within (with Long War mod)
Black lives matter.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: January 09, 2017, 03:40:36 pm »

Two owns for me over here.
The first is pretty standard, I simply went 17/0 as Luna. Absolutely murdered them, with quite a few great ultis, my favorite two best being one where they ganked me without creeps, I ultied; killed one, then ran around some trees and killed the other when my ally came to assist me. The second was they were teamfighting my allies and were strung out quite a bit, and I ran in the side and hit them with my ulti on their flanks, killing two of them and completely turning the fight (which had mostly been my allies running away and would have soon turned into them getting murdered) around.
The second is much more impressive, in that that my team managed to overcome the other side getting megacreeps. The match was extremely annoying even though we had better teamfighting (and had a ton more gold thanks to having a bounty hunter), they had much better split pushing, to the extent that even when we won teamfights were still often unable to push. At the end they got overconfident when they got megacreeps, and we wiped them  about a minute later. After that we all pushed mid, and killed them even though they had 3 buybacks and won the game.

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: January 09, 2017, 04:48:05 pm »

I got the Buzzsaw weapon in Far Cry 4.  Its has ridiculous damage and great accuracy.  I shot a bear and killed it and the yak behind it.  I just spray armored vehicles and everyone inside just dies.  Even helicopters die to its mighty power.

I'm actually thinking of giving it up because it seems to be making the game a little too easy.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:56 pm »

Finished Dishonored 2 as Corvo, blind (my first playthrough of the game), on hard, without any powers, on High Chaos.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: January 09, 2017, 06:03:45 pm »

Holy shit. Mad props.
Black lives matter.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: January 09, 2017, 06:17:03 pm »

As a Phoenix (Medic with average speed and low-ish health), I ran over to a room with an ammo stash in it (this was the railroad map). A Proxy (Engineer with high speed but low health) followed me inside, and we traded shots. I'd came out worse in the exchange when both my SMG and pistol ran out of bullets, and I immediately rushed the Proxy with my cricket bat.

I killed her in one hit and finished her with the second.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: January 09, 2017, 06:39:24 pm »

I got the Buzzsaw weapon in Far Cry 4.  Its has ridiculous damage and great accuracy.  I shot a bear and killed it and the yak behind it.  I just spray armored vehicles and everyone inside just dies.  Even helicopters die to its mighty power.

I'm actually thinking of giving it up because it seems to be making the game a little too easy.

The Buzzsaw is basically a cheat weapon lol. It's hilarious though.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: January 09, 2017, 06:42:39 pm »

It is a little absurd, it even reloads quickly, maybe it should have been unlocked for purchase after taking down all the fortresses instead of just the radio towers, the towers were so simple that I finished the last five by just floating a buzzer up to the top and landing there.
Meanwhile I'm still trying to get the bloody Bushman special but the arena is so grindy, it's infuriating.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: January 09, 2017, 08:14:20 pm »

Meanwhile I'm still trying to get the bloody Bushman special but the arena is so grindy, it's infuriating.

Yes, super grindy.  I've gotten to level 8 so far, but its taking forever.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7121 on: January 10, 2017, 10:30:37 am »

Played Heroes of the Storm for the first time in ages.  Played as Lunara.  Spent the entire match dominating, never died.

Got awarded MVP, got top hero damage, siege damage, and kills, as well as got a postgame note saying I inflicted 50% more hero damage than the average Lunara player.

Somehow I'm better at this game when I'm out of practice and don't know what half the enemy team is capable of (what with new characters) than when I scrape all the rust off.

Heroes of the Storm
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: January 12, 2017, 06:31:28 pm »

Figured out how "Overwatch Mode" for artillery units works. Select a gun, and then an area, and any enemy units in that area get fired on. It bypasses the usual cooldown time on 25lb guns, and also uses airburst rounds to saturate the area with damage instead of fairly inaccurate big shots. Pointed a 25lb gun right at the German HQ, and kept them from spamming Pioneers long after they should not have had the resources to spam Pioneers.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: January 12, 2017, 07:01:01 pm »

Figured out how "Overwatch Mode" for artillery units works. Select a gun, and then an area, and any enemy units in that area get fired on. It bypasses the usual cooldown time on 25lb guns, and also uses airburst rounds to saturate the area with damage instead of fairly inaccurate big shots. Pointed a 25lb gun right at the German HQ, and kept them from spamming Pioneers long after they should not have had the resources to spam Pioneers.

http://www.youtube.com/v/MaF_dkuGLjE?start=28&end=32&version=3

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7124 on: January 12, 2017, 10:43:57 pm »

After a successful raid on the Super Doubles Battle Tree by Alolan Sandslash and Ninetails, I have just tonight completed the Super Singles route in the Battle Tree, successfully kicking out that elf, Red.

Now only Super Multi Battle Tree remains... And I can call myself victorious!

Pokémon Moon
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 709