Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292562 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10215 on: February 19, 2022, 12:34:41 pm »

I didn't expected this after all the trashing the final boss gave to my character in Salt&Sanctuary multiple times , but looks like i was lucky once and the boss decided to only use his grabbing attack once in that fight, and so ... i won !

Spoiler: Victory at last ! (click to show/hide)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: February 19, 2022, 10:38:43 pm »

Congrats on the win, Salt & Sanctuary is a great game. Probably my favorite 2D souls-like.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh right, almost forgot. Apparently they're making a sequel, Salt & Sacrifice iirc.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 11:16:18 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: February 20, 2022, 07:18:48 am »

Thank you, it was a very good game and the lore was rather interesting .
I'm going to try to get the 2nd ending by jumping in that well , so far NG+ hasn't been as awfully harder as i thought from various reading, but bosses are noticably more resilient so my "won with a few pixel of health left" in the normal game against some of them does not bode well :D

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: February 20, 2022, 11:58:58 am »

Coming back to Where They Cremate The Roadkill after half a year meant that I'd forgotten what I was doing, or perhaps I never knew. But for the game's duration, going forward is the only option. I did luck out and find a merchant that sold a Bowie Knife, a high level weapon, and an aptly named accessory called "Break the Game" both of which I could afford because I'd been killing everyone and everything I met. With these, I was able to slaughter the remaining quantity of people who had wronged me, then finish the game allowing me to immediately uninstall it. It's a good experience, but not a good game, and my quality of life is significantly improved by never having to think of it again. I'm sure there was some moral or political message to the game, but it was drowned out by the amount of pretentious, meaningless word salad I had to read through.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: February 21, 2022, 04:31:11 pm »

Beaten up Freja, Sinner and Iron King without deaths. Now i need to get 400 thousands souls somewhere, because i'm NOT screwing myself over trying to jump down the pit. And fastest way to do so is... kill Iron King few more times. So fucking stressful, trying to not fall down that hole.  >:(

Dark Souls 2.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: February 21, 2022, 04:53:06 pm »

Slay the Spire
KILLED THE HEART OF THE SPIRE!!!
A defect run, started with Ice scream, got tempest early on and meteor strike in first boss, which basically made me extremely deadly later on, and at some point I got aggregate, put lightning in a bottle on it, and made a massive 40 cards deck, which gave me almost unlimited energy for the game.

I almost lost the fight, which would have sucked because there were several points I could have played better, even early on I used hologram on aggregate instead of sunder which would have probably shaved a round of combat.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: February 21, 2022, 05:28:38 pm »

Beaten up Freja, Sinner and Iron King without deaths. Now i need to get 400 thousands souls somewhere, because i'm NOT screwing myself over trying to jump down the pit. And fastest way to do so is... kill Iron King few more times. So fucking stressful, trying to not fall down that hole.  >:(

Dark Souls 2.

I was about to recommend farming The Rotten because he's the most fun of the four great souls to fight, then I remembered he was at the bottom of the hole you didn't want to go down. I love Dark Souls 2 but ugh platforming puzzles.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: February 22, 2022, 10:59:31 am »

Elden Ring is highly unlikely to even launch at my computer, but at least i'm a pro of Dark Souls 2 now.  ;D No death run completed on fourth try. Two tries ended in Iron Citadel, one at Earthen Peak. Still have trouble making a female character that looks like female rather than trap wannabe, altough this one is relatively decent. Behold, a tank!
Will gather some junk that i skipped then will go on NG+ to try no bonfire run. Should be simple enough unless muscle memory damns me. After that, and servers going up, i will go spook some people in pvp.  :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 11:01:02 am by MCreeper »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: February 22, 2022, 12:34:28 pm »

Well, I can't say I've ever done a no death or no bonfire run on any Souls game. Good luck!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: February 22, 2022, 05:27:21 pm »

Got shot in the eye with an arrow. Didn't kill me, or even particularly hurt that much. I pulled it out and threw it back at the shooter, landing it in their eye.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: February 24, 2022, 03:25:28 pm »

The reason of this silly one shotting is that despite it looks like it (as you get there by simply continuing to move to the right) , this is absolutely not the next area you should go, there's a NPC that appear temporarly after you clear the boss is supposed to give you a hint about that before disappearing, but i guess i may have pressed the wrong button and skipped its lines :D.

Let's just say that i got slashed to oblivion by this multi-sword maniac, then i remember how i finally got to beat the 1st boss : my shield, good shield use it instead of your weak roll and jump , you're too heavy anyways with your Paladin armor to do that, so block and block again. 

I just took out the Sodden Knight earlier and didn't see any hints about where the 'right' place to go next is... though heading into the woods to fight those goblinoids that did half my health in a single hit was a pretty good indicator to say 'COME BACK LATER.' I found. Oof.

On the other hand, I'm taking pretty much the exact opposite route that you did: When in doubt, pack a bigger sword.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: February 24, 2022, 04:59:19 pm »

Thing for me is that i had no idea there was another path, so after getting constantly one shot-ed i decided to just go play something else.

I wish i didn't abandonned there and looked for another path because the game is really lots of  fun when you follow the correct zone progress.
Since then i'm now +50 hours in that game in NG+1, i'm currently in the Salt Alkymancery (2 more zone to complete the game again) and still having lots of fun.

That said, NG+1 is not as a big difficulty upgrade as i had read previously, maybe because unlike the popular "heavy armor is useless in Salt And Sanctuary" opinion, i decided to insist in using only heavy armor in NG, and now that i'm in NG+1 absolutely nothing is able to one shot me.

Adding Iron Rempart that once upgraded has 100% resist to everything (despite not being the highest class shield, but highest class does not mean best oddly in S&S), NG+1 really does not feel harder than NG was.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: February 25, 2022, 11:23:57 am »

Oh, I think the NPC that shows up that gives the hint about where to go is the the guy who asks if you have a quest-- I just met him again (after the Tower of Storms), and the first time, he comments about wanting to head east... then if you talk to him again, he talks about how it looks really hard to the east, so maybe exploring under the tower first is a better idea. I don't think I realized the NPCs had multiple lines when I first encountered him so I probably missed the tip about zone order the first time.

One thing I'm finding quite interesting is that is actually seems quite non-linear. I ended up finding (though not fighting) the Mad Alchemist before the Queen of Smiles, then turned around and fought the Kraeken Cyclops from behind right after the Mad Alchemist. I'm betting a lot of these bosses are actually optional, assuming you know where to go, and you're not terrible at it (Like myself. Or maybe it's because I play KBM, and it feels like the only way to use a shield is to break your wrist first, so I'm pure 2h.)

Edit: And this time, I did the boss in the Dome of the Forgotten, then looped back and did the Hager's Cavern and Mire of Stench. Because I couldn't find the boss in Hager's, despite walking right past the platforms that led to him for about two of the seven hours on my file.

Gravity: The #1 cause of death. Partly related to "Is there a platform down theeeereeeeeee--- nope."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 09:15:16 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: February 25, 2022, 04:44:54 pm »

About to close out Chapter 4 with pretty much my entire army at or past level 18. My original goal was to get everyone to level 20, and thus promoted with maxed stats, but the Seabats in Balbazak's fight don't quite give enough experience at level 18 to be worth the time. The only characters left are Arthur and Guntz, as well as Domingo(who is already promoted when he joins) and Jogurt, who I still can't figure out how to even recruit(and is explicitly a useless character anyway). Max, and all three healers, have actually already had their promotions at level 20, as the healers still gain 10+ experience per Heal spell, regardless of level.

All I can say is, all this grinding really isn't necessary to complete the game and I don't really know why I'm going through with it.

EDIT: Played a medium-sized map as MA Ulm. Started closer than I liked to the one other opponent, Nazca. Oddly enough, we both had the same Pretender, the Great Enchantress.

Went for a dominion push, focusing on pushing divine influence out and erasing the enemy's. I conquered pretty close to the Nazcan capital, and got a huge boost from claiming the Throne of Law - the other two thrones were inaccessible without some way of crossing or entering water. The conquest strategy was simply moving a force forward and dumping most of my gold on building up the provincial garrison. Then I set about building a ton of temples and watched as those black candles disappeared, province by province.

Nearly lost it all when the Nazcan army attacked my main force of about 160 metal bois + garrison with an army of 220, with a combination of their bird-people and undead. The result of that battle: over 120 lost, with only one fatality on my side. Not counting the garrison; as the game doesn't track those losses. The replay of the battle showed just how badly they screwed up. The very first action was a volley from all the archers and crossbowmen that wiped out almost a third of the enemy force. Then their fliers surrounded my main blob. All of whom were in box formation(ie, best suited to defend against flank attacks). They died quickly. The bulk of their undead were smited by one of the commanders, who was also my prophet and therefore could smite undead like it was his job to. The rest fled.

After that, there were only a few, desperate attempts to attack before the last of their dominion was snuffed out.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 02:34:43 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: March 01, 2022, 08:58:18 pm »

More Disgaea 1 madness:  I acquired the Hyperdrive!

This involves (in this PC release) going through all 100 levels of a max-rank item's world and defeating its Item God 2, without ever leaving the item to save!

You might think that this is a grueling test of endurance where you must fill your inventory with 15 restorative items (and finally the max-rank item).  You'll need to build a highly optimized team with a healer, a mage for range and AoE, a tank, and a brawler for shifting enemies a-la Into The Breach.

Nah one reasonably-ground character is plenty, especially armed with the epitome of swords (which mysteriously grants a massive 5 tiles of ranged attack and a ton of defense).  It helps to have a second character with three accelerators in their teeth (don't ask, they don't explain) to sprint through the item realms.

So why was this a challenge?
BECAUSE each level is so easy.  Item running in Disgaea 1 is extremely easy and formulaic.  The only real break from the monotony is an invincible geo-symbol protecting an exit-guardian, and even that just means an extra 30 seconds or so to throw the symbol or use a brawler to nudge the guardian.  It's the sort of thing you do while watching a TV show, or even a movie.

And therein lies the trap.
Every 10 levels there's a miniboss, but they're optional.  They might not even be on screen from your start.  So you move your Divine Majinn or Thief-With-3-Accelerators to the exit, and reflexively start tapping the button to skip past whatever dialogs-
"Do you want to return to the Overlord's Castle?" [Defaults to yes]

Twice I got to level 80-90 before accidentally returning to the castle because I was too engrossed in a podcast or show.  Mostly it happened much earlier.  Very frustrating.

Regardless, I did it.  Considering I'm playing around with perfected ultimate weapons, I'm pretty sure even Prinny Baal isn't a threat to me anymore.  I could probably even finish the main story if I chose~  This was, I'm almost certain, the most difficult Steam-achievement of the game.

Like... I'm a fan of hypnosis stuff sometimes, but it all feels a little bit silly until you press a button you've been taught to press and realize "that wasn't something I chose to do".  it's kinda cool Scary, it's scary.

Disgaea 1 PC
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 709