Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169318 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1800 on: August 09, 2011, 08:49:27 am »

Actually...no. There is something possibly even better than necromancy or that sort of stuff. If we can get interactions to change a body part, we could possibly create a crude evolution.
That'd presumably mostly fall under the body part/tissue layer changes that won't be possible yet, unfortunately. I'm not clear on whether interactions would be able to act as "genes" in the necessary manner, either.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 09, 2011, 09:55:26 am »

Oh, probably not total genes, I'm talking stuff like occasionally switching the head to a firebreath head or whatever. Yeah, probably not going to happen anytime soon, but we can hope.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 09, 2011, 07:54:15 pm »

Consider this: if you play as a dragon, you will be able to breath fire. [...] Actually being able to breath fire as a dragon is just plain cool.

I'm not sure why people are talking like dragonfire is a sure bet:
Quote from: devlog
Fire breath hasn't been integrated yet.

And there's no guarantee that it'll be integrated before the release.

Bah!  Humbug!  I thought it had been.  Oh, well.  There goes pretty much all my reason for wanting adventure mode interactions. *pout*
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 09, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »

Even if it isn't implemented (which I don't see why it wouldn't be) you could still mod in a super hot breath attack with essentially the same characteristics.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 09, 2011, 10:28:49 pm »

For anyone attempting to do that, I would recommend making the breath in the form of a mist, which transmits heat better than a true gas.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 09, 2011, 11:29:14 pm »

A while back I tried all sorts of varying combinations of things that could go in a breath attack to find one that could set things on fire or at least cause heat damage, but never succeeded. Closest thing I got was a dragon that spewed goop all over things that made them freeze to death.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:54 pm »

A while back I tried all sorts of varying combinations of things that could go in a breath attack to find one that could set things on fire or at least cause heat damage, but never succeeded. Closest thing I got was a dragon that spewed goop all over things that made them freeze to death.

Check the genesis mod.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 10, 2011, 02:04:58 am »

Six days without development updates after two months of almost daily updates... maybe we will have a release soon?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1808 on: August 10, 2011, 02:43:34 am »

I wonder if the next version is going to bloat more. If not then we might have soonish update.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 10, 2011, 06:08:21 am »

Six days without development updates after two months of almost daily updates... maybe we will have a release soon?

I hope so. And it will be glorious.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 10, 2011, 06:49:38 am »

I was thinking that maybe making interactions work with adventurers took a long time to implement, but maybe it's a bunch of uninteresting loose ends being tied up for release :D
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 10, 2011, 07:02:26 am »

Yeah, with the past few big releases, Toady mentioned that it should come "in the next few days" when it was a few days to the release and he could tell. He hasn't said that yet, so I wouldn't expect a release. More so because he hasn't even said that he's done with the interaction interface.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 10, 2011, 07:11:55 am »

I've resigned myself to it being another few months yet, to be honest. Off on holiday soon, it'd be a pleasant surprise if it was here when I came back. :D
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 10, 2011, 07:41:59 am »

I've resigned myself to it being another few months yet, to be honest. Off on holiday soon, it'd be a pleasant surprise if it was here when I came back. :D

I went on a road trip for the last few weeks thinking the same thing. I hope you have more luck than I did

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 10, 2011, 07:53:06 am »

At this point, it'll probably be weeks rather than months (and rather than days, for that matter). Stalkers (which might make the other likely night creatures easier to implement, so those might come in as well), sponsorship animals (I'm uncertain whether Toady actually wants to try and make proper beaver dams, but other than that, he might do little things here and there), preliminary testing and bugfixing at the very least. Emergent features could always happen, and I might be forgetting things.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 298