Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1168088 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2550 on: October 25, 2011, 07:20:12 am »

I wonder if it will be possible, when discovering a vampire has been preying on their fellow dwarves, to place them upon a golden throne, sacrificing masses of migrants to sate their unholy thirst, all dwarves bowing in worship of the Great Thirster?

Will it be possible to actually choose to 'feed' your vampire-dwarf, possibly establishing them as your ruler?
And will dwarven vampires be able to feed on enemies, like goblins and kobolds? Or, for that matter, tame animals?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2551 on: October 25, 2011, 07:53:48 am »

It will also depend on how 'trustworthy' witness accounts work out to be, independent of gameplay mechanics; that is, in the opinion of players, are witness accounts generally 90% accurate? 50%?

I expect that mental attributes - observer and memory in particular - may have an effect on that.  And we may see a use for the Liar skill now too.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: October 25, 2011, 08:18:03 am »

Welp, there goes the hope of getting this release soon.
The ten-and-a-half pages of notes might have already done that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: October 25, 2011, 08:39:54 am »

A small price to pay for such glorious features!

Don't forget that it also means a longer period of post-release brokenness.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: October 25, 2011, 08:50:37 am »

Personally, I plan on having a vampire fortress.  No point fighting the inevitable, if migrants can be vampires.
If your whole fortress becoming vampires becomes a losing condition, then I will wall off one farmer/brewer/miner/engraver into an independent section of the fortress, to keep the fortress "alive".  Let the rest become a horde of vampires, striking fear into all who dare lay siege.
Although the sole mortal never sees anything outside his cave, he will engrave the stories of the tragic vampire fortress.

Until he dies of old age.
Hmm.  Maybe wall in a family.  Wonder how many generations that could last.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: October 25, 2011, 12:00:25 pm »

Hehe now that we have vamps and wers in the fort we need cults springing up around them. Also rejuvinating by draining time from a fellow being would be nice.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: October 25, 2011, 12:06:41 pm »

I'm sensing burrows will be the death of vampires.  Just give each suspect a burrow with an expendable migrant and see who still has blood in them after a few weeks.  Or just give them a burrow in the sun.

The worst situation that could arise is that the long histories of vampires result in them having high skills in useful areas.  That legendary weaponcrafter/dodger/axedwarf?  Yeah, they're so good because they have hundreds of years experience.  Quarantine or punish them, and you lose a valuable asset.  Let them go free, and you risk losing dwarves to a vampire.  Whereas the useless migrants you don't care about are much less likely to be vampires...

And of course, some players would just lock said weaponcrafter in the cellar and feed them threshers and fish dissectors.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: October 25, 2011, 12:32:54 pm »

It would be nice if vampires could feast on animals too. It would be rather creepy (in a good way!) to get mangled cat remains or even vampire cats.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: October 25, 2011, 01:24:59 pm »

we're going to revamp the justice system a bit so that you can have crimes that have been committed (in the Justice screen, say) where the perpetrator is not known.
Oh god Armok. Feature creep alert! This is not drill! Feature creep alert!

There goes my January prediction.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: October 25, 2011, 01:45:30 pm »

.-. I think I may actually graduate highschool before this release releases. Huh.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: October 25, 2011, 01:57:57 pm »

Just give each suspect a burrow with an expendable migrant and see who still has blood in them after a few weeks.
Could work, but could have its own pitfalls.
"Urist McExecutioner was angered at having proper procedures ignored lately."
"Urist McPeasant was scared due to hearing about a random execution lately."
Or just give them a burrow in the sun.
No day/night cycle in fortress mode. And some vampires aren't killed by sunlight.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: October 25, 2011, 02:49:38 pm »

Feature creep alert!
Absolutely ... work with veins was supposed to be in Caravan Arc release 2.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: October 25, 2011, 03:13:31 pm »

Feature creep alert!

I really just don't care anymore. Feed us awesome devlogs and I'm cool up to 1.0.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: October 25, 2011, 03:49:10 pm »

Feature creep alert!

...I c wat u did thar

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: October 25, 2011, 07:23:04 pm »

A small price to pay for such glorious features!

Don't forget that it also means a longer period of post-release brokenness.

There is always the chance the stars will align and the next release doesn't have too much brokenness.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 298