Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167094 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2580 on: October 26, 2011, 04:03:25 am »

I've tried to keep the identities separate from their users, so you could have multiple critters use the same identity later on, either as a sequential hand-me-down or in competition at the same time.

Oh, this is going to be a lot of fun.  I can just imagine a couple of historical dwarves claiming to be the same guy or something.  How do you know who's the evil one when they all have beards?

Bekat the Adorable Skull

That's a go getter if there ever was one right there.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: October 26, 2011, 05:52:05 am »

I've tried to keep the identities separate from their users, so you could have multiple critters use the same identity later on, either as a sequential hand-me-down or in competition at the same time.

Oh, this is going to be a lot of fun.  I can just imagine a couple of historical dwarves claiming to be the same guy or something.  How do you know who's the evil one when they all have beards?

that kinda sets up a historical precedent for a Dread Pirate Roberts situation. Maybe later you could even intentionally leave a historical figure open in adventure mode, and then make a new character to take over that persona. I like this new side-track. A lot.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: October 26, 2011, 06:02:03 am »

It seems to me that the wheel has turned from criticizing feature creep to embracing it. I'm glad. I suppose it depends on the features comprising the creep and how extensively they're written about in the devlog.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: October 26, 2011, 07:32:02 am »

I've rarely seen people complain about feature creep in this game. I mean feature creep seems to make up most of the game.

It would be nice if toady ironed out more of the bugs before going into long releases but he does come up with such cool features.

Toady could probably deal with the Zoom To Death problem by delaying the death until a while after a vampire has fed.
If they killed the moment they fed I'd just lock all the doors in that section of my dormitory and then send in a military squad or something to find the vampire.

If on the other hand they inflicted a syndrome which prevented healing, caused permanent sleep and left the dwarf bleeding slowly then it could be quite some time before a dwarf bled to death leaving the vampire time to get back to his room.

I hope that the behavior of vampires and similar will be moddable in the raws because some lower level creatures which act similarly but feed on pets would also be cool.

If you could specify the type/species/classification of the victims and what is done to the victims  it would allow us to mod in psychopath dwarves. Think a Dexter type character who works as quiet members of the fortress guard but occasionally disappears... and then one of the caged goblins is found butchered in a quiet corridor.

I'd mod in The Phantom. A "curse" passed from fathers to son, all members of the family claim the same identity, all strong and skilled. They take it upon themselves to murder goblins.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:52:22 am by HungryHobo »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32:03 am »

Blaw blaw spoiler blaw. My entire post is in the spoiler

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2585 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00:53 am »

The Dread Dwarf-Pirate Roberts!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: October 26, 2011, 10:06:35 am »

Adventurer Role: Thief, here we come. :P

More varied skill lists for immigrants? I found them already pretty varied, unless Toady means adding the unused skills.

I'm assuming that the assumed personas have the usual likes and dislikes of the generated dwarves, rather than the lack that historical dwarves show - though I guess that since historical dwarves might immigrate as well, they don't need to yet. And some of those historical figures just might be good enough that they could act as "false positives" for the vampire immigrant detection goblin...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: October 26, 2011, 10:14:26 am »

Currently, we get "Urist has drowned!", "Urist has bled to death!", etc. It is often possible to fast-zoom to the location using the stocks menu or a combat report, or an auto-pause setting. The cause of death, such as an attacker, is often just standing there next to the body.

How will a blood-drinking vampire murder be announced? Will it be obvious who the attacker was?

I'd hope that I can't simply identify the vampire because he's the only dwarf standing in the room next to the guy who just died of blood loss.
I'd guess they'll be using some variant of the sneaking system, like undetected thieves and ambushes, so they'll probably be invisible to the player.

I've rarely seen people complain about feature creep in this game. I mean feature creep seems to make up most of the game.

It would be nice if toady ironed out more of the bugs before going into long releases but he does come up with such cool features.

Toady could probably deal with the Zoom To Death problem by delaying the death until a while after a vampire has fed.
If they killed the moment they fed I'd just lock all the doors in that section of my dormitory and then send in a military squad or something to find the vampire.

If on the other hand they inflicted a syndrome which prevented healing, caused permanent sleep and left the dwarf bleeding slowly then it could be quite some time before a dwarf bled to death leaving the vampire time to get back to his room.

I hope that the behavior of vampires and similar will be moddable in the raws because some lower level creatures which act similarly but feed on pets would also be cool.

If you could specify the type/species/classification of the victims and what is done to the victims  it would allow us to mod in psychopath dwarves. Think a Dexter type character who works as quiet members of the fortress guard but occasionally disappears... and then one of the caged goblins is found butchered in a quiet corridor.

I'd mod in The Phantom. A "curse" passed from fathers to son, all members of the family claim the same identity, all strong and skilled. They take it upon themselves to murder goblins.

I'd definitely prefer the implementation of such a syndrome as HungryHobo presents, as opposed to say, some wider-scale mutilation tweaking of the current alerts system to accommodate instant vamp-caused deaths.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: October 26, 2011, 11:20:34 am »

How does a being decide to assume an identity, and when does it decide to abandon the ruse?

I have to assume that this is not the introduction of AI into the game, but it would be hilariously annoying for your lazy dwarfs to walk slower than they could, or to fake injuries.  If a vampire tantrums, I'd assume they drop the ruse, but what if they're just hungry?  What if the entire fort becomes vampires, or as some have suggested, a vampire cult forms around them?

This is beginning to have some of the features of ai, In particular it's starting to look like a knowledge system...

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: October 26, 2011, 12:38:44 pm »

Just wanted to chime in to say that sneaky vampires spreading false accusations sound awesome. Now if only the military was back to a usable state...

I have to assume that this is not the introduction of AI into the game (...)
err... what? This game already has the most evolved AI of all the games out there, with each dwarf going about his own business with his own set of goals and all. This would just be an extra behavior layered on top of all the existing ones.

Unless for some reason you've convinced yourself that AI only means neural networks and other kinds of "machine learning".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: October 26, 2011, 01:02:59 pm »

err... what? This game already has the most evolved AI of all the games out there, with each dwarf going about his own business with his own set of goals and all. This would just be an extra behavior layered on top of all the existing ones.

Unless for some reason you've convinced yourself that AI only means neural networks and other kinds of "machine learning".

Dwarves don't have personal goals and ambitions.  They have personality traits and preferences with very limited effects on their actions.  The AI overall isn't terribly sophisticated -- while certain actions can affect their happiness, they generally just react to stimuli rather than deliberately seeking out positive stimuli and avoiding negative stimuli.  For example, a dwarf can become unhappy as a result of wounds sustained from being on fire, but will not attempt to extinguish the fire.  I think the Sims series wins over DF in the AI department.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: October 26, 2011, 02:02:25 pm »

Now if only the military was back to a usable state...

You are a troll. I won't bite...this time.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: October 26, 2011, 02:14:46 pm »

Not yet implemented. That's the objective, but the game isn't there yet.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #2593 on: October 26, 2011, 02:18:10 pm »

True, but The Sims still lack in the lovely human ability of planning and time management. I doubt it will change since the basis of gameplay and the majority of user interaction is in telling your Sim what to do, but I would prefer watching my Sim instead of directing him.

Will the real Erith Delershorast please stand up? Does this mean we can accuse two dwarves with the same name as being vampires and order them to be executed?

Quote from: isatanos
Now if only the military was back to a usable state...
I'll bite! :) The military works fine for me, I've tested every melee style (including wrestler) and archers and both work better than I had expected. That includes archers in towers and soldiers patrolling with food/water rations. I think the real problem here isn't the military system, but your inability to understand/use it. Now I'll quit trolling if you quit trolling :p
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:22:49 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2594 on: October 26, 2011, 02:33:55 pm »

I sent an email to Toady One some months back suggesting a very simple improvement to the current military system- simply adding an option on the "v" screen that would assign the current dwarf to a new squad/ a squad from a selection menu. That alone would make the new military system practical.

It would make creating a basic squad as simple as finding a dwarf, pressing v, going to his labor screen, selecting the squad you want him to join/create, and pressing enter. A vast improvement when we're dealing with massive immigrant waves, anyway.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 298