Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169367 times)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3060 on: November 27, 2011, 09:19:16 am »

Anyone else thinks that wall towers are placed too densely?

In my opinion it would look better with half as much of them.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:22:37 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: November 27, 2011, 09:50:47 am »

The walls could do with some variance in a number of ways, tower density included, but that density isn't unrealistic, from what I see on Google Images.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sevi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: November 27, 2011, 02:07:44 pm »

Will you be able to walk around in those town maps at some stage ?
This is a catsoap

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: November 27, 2011, 02:51:55 pm »

Will you be able to walk around in those town maps at some stage ?

No, you will not be able to walk around the maps.

The towns that they are maps of? yes.

geneisnotlame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: November 27, 2011, 03:14:52 pm »

ya but i wanna FAST TRAVEL through these huge cities

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: November 27, 2011, 03:32:48 pm »

ya but i wanna FAST TRAVEL through these huge cities

The city travel map was implemented some months ago:
Quote from: devlog
07/21/2011: I jumped in on the town travel map. It is used in place of the old travel map when you are in a city, since many of your moves on the old travel map would not match with the road network. A full-sized town on this map is 51x51 instead of 17x17, so it is zoomed in three times (I should have usable pictures in a few days). There's room to show a list of nearby shops/buildings/sewer entrances as well, and once we're done it should also be able to help you navigate to a specific known building of your choice on the other side of town.

07/26/2011: Here are a few preliminary pictures (day, night). In the brown part with the paved white roads, you can only move along the roads themselves. In the green part you can walk anywhere, ignoring the lines. It isn't ready to navigate you to specific buildings at this point, just to show what's around you as you move.

07/27/2011: Here are a few more (three, four). This shows the larger scale travel map instead of the building list, and then moving out into the forest to the point where the zoomed in city map vanishes.

And you can of course still travel in the fully zoomed-in mode (i.e. the screen where combat occurs).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:34:54 pm by Footkerchief »

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: November 27, 2011, 03:40:43 pm »

Are there any pictures of the new cities/towns in the zoomed in city fast travel screen? Perhaps we could see one of the maps already shown compared to the in game city travel screen if it's not too much trouble.

I'm actually fairly excited to see how they compare since I find the maps that are being put up now to have a strange kind of beauty and I hope at least some of that's carried over.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: November 27, 2011, 03:51:05 pm »

Are there any pictures of the new cities/towns in the zoomed in city fast travel screen? Perhaps we could see one of the maps already shown compared to the in game city travel screen if it's not too much trouble.

By "new cities/towns" you mean "the very latest cities from today's build," not just "the cities in the upcoming version," right?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:56:53 pm by Footkerchief »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: November 27, 2011, 04:09:17 pm »

Anyone else thinks that wall towers are placed too densely?

In my opinion it would look better with half as much of them.

There's one for every 16x16 square, or one tile on the zoomed-in travel map.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

ribosom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: November 27, 2011, 04:13:57 pm »

yay toady
new villages and towns look awesome  :D
keep up the good work

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: November 27, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »

Animal breeds  :o finally i was waiting forever for that and i think i may have had a mental nerd-gasm. Now i can breed my wiener-hotwardogs faster even thought i would still have to do a mass-murdering of perfectly fine puppies.

Do the "Breeds" only apply to actual breeded animals or do they extend wild animal-populations? Say all wildhorses in a certain region looking similiar? 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:14:06 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: November 27, 2011, 10:20:24 pm »

Dwarf fortress doesn't track the individual ancestry of each pig in a population?

The game is being dumbed down for console kiddies.

When you get such things done, how much interbreeding between different breeds/populations do you anticipate their being? How much variance is there in a cat (or any other domestic animal) population at the moment, and how much would you see as ideal? I know such things would be influenced heavily by the size and age of the population, but I'd appreciate some general thoughts on the situation.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:23:23 pm by Cruxador »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: November 27, 2011, 10:46:28 pm »

Actually for breeds to work in you just need the actually just the traits of a creature (and maybe some recessive genes as backup) so you can get actual breeds. I agree that tracking the linage would be cool but for the sake of keeping the memory-usage down just saving the data of the actual current existing individuals is sufficient. Also i asume toady did some (gene-)pooling to cut down the memory even more althought this would also cut the genetic variance of the population. But these are only guesses and i also would like to hear the answer.

What would interest me is if and how the pet keeping species decide which traits they favour and want in a animal? I could see Humans for example keep atleast 3 kinds of horses 1 each for light and heavy cavalery and one as work-horse.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: November 28, 2011, 12:29:57 am »

The breeds I put in a while ago seem to be working, now that I can finally look at the animals -- the cats in the first town I looked at were all large and slate gray with dark brown ears.
Are there going to be any gene variances (in cats) from inside a town, or is it going to be mostly one kind per town? Are there going to be any ways for animals to travel between towns besides trade? What are (will be) the triggers for a trade in these animals?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: November 28, 2011, 01:13:25 am »

Actually for breeds to work in you just need the actually just the traits of a creature (and maybe some recessive genes as backup) so you can get actual breeds. I agree that tracking the linage would be cool but for the sake of keeping the memory-usage down just saving the data of the actual current existing individuals is sufficient.
I was being facetious.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 298