Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167090 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3165 on: December 05, 2011, 11:09:02 pm »

CAUTIONSAURUS LIVES

Quote from: devlog
Next up will be a series of market stall tweaks, then some adv trading interface stuff, then reenabling hunger (and thirst if I do wells and river tweaks).

Adv Mode is gonna be righteous.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:11:24 pm by Footkerchief »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: December 05, 2011, 11:27:11 pm »

CAUTIONSAURUS LIVES

Quote from: devlog
Next up will be a series of market stall tweaks, then some adv trading interface stuff, then reenabling hunger (and thirst if I do wells and river tweaks).

Adv Mode is gonna be righteous.

Awesome. This has been a good day.

And I wondered what had happened to Cautionsaurus...

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: December 05, 2011, 11:27:43 pm »

Oh, goody.

Cautionsaurus?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: December 05, 2011, 11:30:24 pm »

Having just taken a basic economics course, I'd suggest implementing a basic supply and demand economy (although, worldgen seems a bit lacking in the demand area at the moment).

That is one of the major goals of the current set of releases.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: December 05, 2011, 11:54:17 pm »

"Bone Folders" were used in book making and to mark fabric.
Bone char can be used to filter water and to whiten sugar at a refinery.
Bones can be used as fish hooks and all kinds of needles (knitting, sewing, awls for leatherwork).
They can be used to make buttons, or sent to a furnace to make calcium-phosphate ash which can be used to make bone china.

They can of course be used to make woodwind instruments like bone flutes, or even bone china instruments for the wealthy.

The bone meal though, that one is still probably your best bet for using large piles of bone for one purpose.  As fertilizer.
Better use is as fuel. Many Stone Age sites in wood-poor regions show signs of bone being used as a substitute fuel. Even though there's not a working system for heating yet, allocating a demand in worldgen for bones to be burned for the purpose should be possible.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: December 06, 2011, 01:02:43 am »

I think I'd just prefer any non-hackish solution to account for the bone crafts not replacing adventurer-related items; although to be fair, simply ranking adventurer related items as having higher priority in markets might not be so bad.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: December 06, 2011, 08:02:33 am »

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: December 06, 2011, 08:22:37 am »

Cautionsaurus?

I saw the Cautionsaurus and immediately transferred money to my paypal to get ready for a christmas donation.

Also, can't wait for Adv mode. gunna spend whole days in some sewers.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3173 on: December 06, 2011, 08:28:32 am »

I think I'd just prefer any non-hackish solution to account for the bone crafts not replacing adventurer-related items; although to be fair, simply ranking adventurer related items as having higher priority in markets might not be so bad.

Bone armor pieces and bone bolts/crossbows seem like decent adventurer-related stuff...

Bone bolts could be consumed in world-gen as training material.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: December 06, 2011, 12:34:06 pm »

Bone armor pieces and bone bolts/crossbows seem like decent adventurer-related stuff...

Bone bolts could be consumed in world-gen as training material.

Or we could have the option of buying all those bone bolts in adventure mode.  Or making them from the bones we get from butchering our kills.  Then we would have a much easier time using crossbows in adventure mode.

Though I think the primary obstacle is that while in caves, or at night, we cannot see very far.  So a bow is not very useful.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: December 06, 2011, 02:14:37 pm »

From the sounds of the devlog, it seems like there is already some kind of supply/demand worldgen activity, and that what's being worked on is tightening it up.  Realistically, yeah, people need mugs, but I can imagine that in worldgen, unless production goes to 0, people are actively throwing crafts which have no use whatsoever, then you're going to end up with shops full of them. 

As many have mentioned, there are plenty of useful things that can be made from bones, but if we zoom out and look at the big picture, then a few releases from now, when there are dwarven worldgen settlements, they will undoubtedly do the same thing with the stone crafts.  It may (eventually) spell the end to forts whose economic productivity is the equivalent of a macaroni-art factory.  I would be in favor of dwarves being forced to export weapons and armor (or at least something useful), though I realize that's still a long way off. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:27:54 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: December 06, 2011, 02:53:41 pm »

From the sounds of the devlog, it seems like there is already some kind of supply/demand worldgen activity, and that what's being worked on is tightening it up.  Realistically, yeah, people need mugs, but I can imagine that in worldgen, unless production goes to 0, people are actively throwing crafts which have no use whatsoever, then you're going to end up with shops full of them. 

As many have mentioned, there are plenty of useful things that can be made from bones, but if we zoom out and look at the big picture, then a few releases from now, when there are dwarven worldgen settlements, they will undoubtedly do the same thing with the bone crafts.  It may (eventually) spell the end to forts whose economic productivity is the equivalent of a macaroni-art factory.  I would be in favor of dwarves being forced to export weapons and armor (or at least something useful), though I realize that's still a long way off.

I hope it's not too far away. It's sort of necessity if trading is to lose its status as a win button.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: December 06, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »

Re-enabling hunger oh yeah! I just got that much more excited for the next release. There is nothing like having to stock up on food before going down into a cave or dungeon, it just makes it that much cooler and more immersive :D
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #3178 on: December 06, 2011, 04:48:21 pm »

What's with the buildings that are filled with just tables? Are those shops or something?
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: December 06, 2011, 04:51:01 pm »

What's with the buildings that are filled with just tables? Are those shops or something?

Warehouses.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 298