Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169152 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3420 on: December 17, 2011, 05:14:09 pm »

. . . It now keeps track of all the former positions of historical figures by start/end year . . .
Does this mean that items in an abandoned/killed fortress don't wander around the site when reclaimed or visited?
Even if it is just the corpses that keep their stuff/don't move around, that would be cool.
I think you are misunderstanding what Toady said there. He's talking about positions of people, not of items during play (and I'm not fully certain, but he might be talking entity positions rather than location - though the game already tracks the former, he might make it more clear in legends mode or something).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's entity positions and not "Lived in Fishtown" per se.
He did also write he fixed a problem with adventurer equipment in the dungeons. . . I can't think of another problem besides it wandering away from dead adventurers on its own.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: December 17, 2011, 05:30:16 pm »

Urist Rustytongues (b. 612 d. 629)
Named Broker of Maimedchannels on 12 Felsite 627
Replaced as Broker of Maimedchannels on 24 Felsite 627 (when the usual broker finished his nap)
Drowned 3 Malachite 629

Kinda makes me wish accidental death was actually put into legends mode.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: December 17, 2011, 05:37:21 pm »

He did also write he fixed a problem with adventurer equipment in the dungeons. . . I can't think of another problem besides it wandering away from dead adventurers on its own.
From the top of my head - The generated equipment might not respect the adventurer's skills. The quality might not reflect the adventurer's skill level as it does with living adventurers. The equipment might be generated from a wrong entity definition (potentially according to local culture rather than home culture if adventurer traveled there from elsewhere). The armor and clothing might be generated at the wrong size. Then there might be problems we might not quite perceive as problems, such as not reflecting the adventurer's history properly (such as wolf bone crafts for an adventurer who slew tons of wolves before being gutted by a sewer kobold).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: December 17, 2011, 08:35:57 pm »

such as wolf bone crafts for an adventurer who slew tons of wolves before being gutted by a sewer kobold.

That was always my favorite part of resuming a retired adventurer.  They always had a boat load of crafts from all their previous kills.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: December 17, 2011, 11:43:45 pm »

RE: Devlog

Alright, Toady just called for mid-January release, which pushes my personal prediction to mid-February :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: December 17, 2011, 11:49:45 pm »

Take your time Toady!

If it takes a bit longer us sane people will understand :D

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: December 18, 2011, 01:12:54 am »

As optimization is coming, after fixing new bugs and before fixing old bugs - I may wait till February 2013.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: December 18, 2011, 07:35:11 am »

As optimization is coming, after fixing new bugs and before fixing old bugs - I may wait till February 2013.
Not unless Toady finds a way to optimize optimization.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: December 18, 2011, 09:06:36 am »

So, first april then. It would be fine tradition, major release on this particular date. :D
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Zahariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: December 19, 2011, 12:13:20 pm »

Is there anything that (has been|will be) done about whips, lashes, and scourges? It's still a little ridiculous that my full-adamantine-plate-champions have to cower in terror from a common goblin lasher because he has a lightsaber.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: December 19, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »

Is there anything that (has been|will be) done about whips, lashes, and scourges?
AFAIK nothing and probably nothing will be done with it any time soon. If you get lucky, maybe it will be taken care of in some bugfix round after this major release. If not, well, you can wait year or two, right?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: December 19, 2011, 04:53:01 pm »

Is there anything that (has been|will be) done about whips, lashes, and scourges? It's still a little ridiculous that my full-adamantine-plate-champions have to cower in terror from a common goblin lasher because he has a lightsaber.
We might see some combat fixes to the raw numbers when we goes in for the more combat stuff in Release 8. With the combat move/speed split. But nothing for this release.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: December 19, 2011, 09:18:50 pm »

Not unless Toady finds a way to optimize optimization.
Multithread the optimization code, then run it through a profiler and WinRAR it (double compression) a few times. Guaranteed to squeak out a solid 10 FPS gain

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: December 19, 2011, 10:19:27 pm »

Toady after reading the latest devlog entry i was wondering if only the blood of intelligent creatures work or if you could suck out a bunny or a boar. Secondly i wonder what would happen if you suck the blood of a creature that has an interaction linked to its blood?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: December 19, 2011, 10:48:05 pm »

Will drinking someone's blood instantly declare you hostile toward their civilization, or do they have to catch you in the act for it to be flagged? I'm pretty much assuming that it's an instantly hostile thing, and planning to pick an adventuring place that is nestled between two human civilizations: I use one as a source of blood coming only at night to feed, and I use the other as my friendly place of business. I just have to make sure not to get my towns mixed up...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 298