Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167084 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3480 on: December 24, 2011, 09:20:09 pm »

That town sounds incredibly amusing, in the "Oops, I duplicated the RAWs and now I'm embarking as living trees that eat wagon meat" way. I bet the inhabitants were just glad the river was frozen.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: December 25, 2011, 04:21:32 am »

I see that toady encountered the flying frozen river bug. I've met that one.

I don't think I have seen that bug, but it sounds amusing in the extreme.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: December 25, 2011, 07:40:13 am »

Well, I made a fortress in a tundra once, and there was a pair of stone walls reaching into the sky, with a block of ice suspended between them I made that the entrance to my fortress.

Here's the map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8566-domainmirrored

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: December 25, 2011, 11:48:17 pm »

The Christmas devlog entry brings good tidings!  The steady progress through the dungeon issues has been really encouraging. 

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: December 25, 2011, 11:55:59 pm »

The Christmas devlog entry brings good tidings!  The steady progress through the dungeon issues has been really encouraging.

Indeed it has! It gives me hope for the mid-January release date, despite my cynicism.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: December 26, 2011, 01:22:48 am »

Indeed it has! It gives me hope for the mid-January release date, despite my cynicism.

Bug 0003169:
Players retain hope for an on-schedule release. 
where is up?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: December 26, 2011, 02:02:22 am »

Bug 0003169:
Players retain hope for an on-schedule release.

An on-schedule release would have been in July.  At this point it is more "players hope for release soon."  Then again, I do sometimes wish this were all a dream and it were July.  On the other hand, finals were evil and I don't want to go through them again.

In any case, I enjoy the progress through dungeon issues and the tackling of an unexpected bug(the flying frozen river thing).  I look forward to finding humerous bugs in the next release.  And by humerous I mean things like the magma spawning above pits thing from a couple years ago.  I wish I knew where a video of that one was.  It was most amusing.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: December 26, 2011, 03:25:53 am »

Quote from: Devlog
Then I test-embarked in a different town, and bandit leaders were embedded in the walls, dungeon rooms came up through the street and into the center of stores, the sewers were completely inaccessible, amphibian men were hanging out in a farm house and a gigantic frozen river of ice raised up from the ground and partitioned the town except where the bridges cut tunnels through it. I fixed all of those problems to get back where I thought I was when I started.
I've read this several times and I still can't find these problems you men- Oh. Those things were unintentional. :P

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: December 27, 2011, 12:50:17 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
Then I test-embarked in a different town, and bandit leaders were embedded in the walls, dungeon rooms came up through the street and into the center of stores, the sewers were completely inaccessible, amphibian men were hanging out in a farm house and a gigantic frozen river of ice raised up from the ground and partitioned the town except where the bridges cut tunnels through it. I fixed all of those problems to get back where I thought I was when I started.
I've read this several times and I still can't find these problems you men- Oh. Those things were unintentional. :P

Sounds like Dwarf Fortress.  Who else wishes they could see towns like this?  It's totally unplayable sure, but it'd sure be fun to visit.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3489 on: December 27, 2011, 02:02:51 pm »

Ice wall right in middle of town pierced by tunnels sounds like awesome sight.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: December 27, 2011, 02:09:37 pm »

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this, but I'd like to have an option to 'turn away' waves of migrants. Sometimes, a dozen idle craftdwarves is enough, you know?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: December 27, 2011, 02:25:16 pm »

I wonder how many times future features are shaped by past bugs.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this, but I'd like to have an option to 'turn away' waves of migrants. Sometimes, a dozen idle craftdwarves is enough, you know?

First, you can already do this in game- set the population cap lower in the .ini file. Second, the Suggestions forum would be more appropriate. Third, reformed immigration has already been suggested multiple times, so if it's really important to you you could go vote for it in the Eternal Suggestion Voting. Dwarven INS (which would make Immigration Control a noble-related function) is currently 84 (out of ~350, that's pretty good) and Slow Down Immigration (which would just cut down size/frequency of migrant waves) is at 30. Note you get 3 votes, so go ahead and spread them around to worthy causes!

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: December 28, 2011, 05:37:56 am »

Hmmm, I don't know if this has been asked yet, but do vampires necessarily require fresh blood? Of a sentient being? Because merchants have barrels and barrels of various types of blood, but I don't know a single use for any of it. Maybe I could, in future, stock up on it for the sake of my potential night-dwelling population?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: December 28, 2011, 08:16:39 am »

You can throw them into a pond and have your dwarves bathe in the bloody mess.
(or have them drink from it)
Besides that, I've not thought of any other use for barrels of blood either. :)

Will you add bleeding out animals into barrels to the butchershop chores?
Will harvesting blood from forgotten monstrosities be possible via such a job?
Will symptoms (*)syndromes be carried by blood harvested into barrels?

(*) I forget the word used for effects caused by contact poisons etc.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:42:33 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: December 28, 2011, 10:28:48 am »

Hmmm, I don't know if this has been asked yet, but do vampires necessarily require fresh blood? Of a sentient being? Because merchants have barrels and barrels of various types of blood, but I don't know a single use for any of it. Maybe I could, in future, stock up on it for the sake of my potential night-dwelling population?

I believe it's the actual drinking-warm-blood-from-a-sleeping-person thing that quenches the bloodthirstiness, not just ingestion of blood per se.

Will you add bleeding out animals into barrels to the butchershop chores?
Will harvesting blood from forgotten monstrosities be possible via such a job?
Will symptoms (*)syndromes be carried by blood harvested into barrels?

1, 2: there's no timeline for these features.  Definitely not in this release.
3: If the slaughtered creature has a syndrome attached to its blood material species-wide, or if the creature is a historical figure and had a syndrome attached to its blood via interaction, then the drinkers will be subject to the syndrome.  If you mean a syndrome of which the slaughtered creature is a victim, e.g. a cave spider injected venom into the cow's bloodstream, the contaminant (venom) would not end up in the barrel unless the code specifically checked for it.
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 298