Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169385 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3780 on: January 14, 2012, 08:05:01 pm »

And finally, what do werewolves have to do with any targetting at all ?
They can be... um... targeted??
Sometimes (targetable during werephase by dwarves/tagetable by everuthing else during dwarfphase? And wereturtle will attack wereelephant, but it will leave different wereturtle unharmed)

EDIT: Praise FPS increase!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:07:14 pm by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: January 14, 2012, 09:35:46 pm »

I'm assuming that all of the new interaction code (used by vampires, and other assorted things) links into the targeting code to allow you to do some precision things with it in melee. In order to link it in, he probably had to make it do checks for the interactions. This checking likely slowed it down in some way that he now has to fix.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: January 15, 2012, 08:34:11 am »

Is the problem of dwarven civs and to a lesser extent goblin civs tending to go extinct/near extinct (perhaps due to humans and elves doing so well because of farming) going to be fixed at some point? Perhaps in the next update cycle?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: January 15, 2012, 08:41:26 am »

Is the problem of dwarven civs and to a lesser extent goblin civs tending to go extinct/near extinct (perhaps due to humans and elves doing so well because of farming) going to be fixed at some point? Perhaps in the next update cycle?
The next version should do this.
01/07/2012 Toady One More random issues today. I put iron back into the weapon stockpile menu were it was erroneously excluded, corrected manual typos, checked out how books/pages interact with reactions, tested all of the interactions in the interaction example folder, and forced world gen to check out farming races more closely so there'd be fewer worlds generated with starving dwarves (due to a lack of underground plants at their starting location).
06/09/2011 Toady One Found my first tower-cap bed in a human's bedroom. It had an image of the foundation of a dwarven mountain hall in giant toad bone. An iron scourge made by the goblins made it to the back of the warehouse as well -- it commemorated a skinless demon becoming the law-giver of the goblin civilization. I also put in some extra precautions and tweaks so that dwarves form markets properly and are more survivable in world gen. Kobolds as well.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: January 15, 2012, 10:33:04 am »

Am I the only one worried by the sentence "Targetting [has gotten slow] too, in all modes, something to do with the werewolf/necromancer checks" ?

Not sure if it's too technical to be asked, but Toady : how can a necromancer line of sight affect a non-necromancer targetting something ? Do you mean targetting as in chosing which body part to attack or the "fire crossbow"-type targetting ? And finally, what do werewolves have to do with any targetting at all ?

I didn't read that as necromancer line of sight - I read it as "Targeting is slow in all modes, and it seems to be due to targetting checking for necromancer/werewolves".  That's the only thing that makes sense.  The slow code isn't necromancers/werewolves targeting others, it's X targeting Y and all the code that runs to tell if X or Y are necromancers/werewolves.

This might be related to the new interactions - necromancers and werewolves are only types of people who use the new framework as far as I know.

The news about markets is really awesome.  I'm excited for non-starved kobolds and dwarfs. :)
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: January 15, 2012, 11:30:51 am »

Am I the only one worried by the sentence "Targetting [has gotten slow] too, in all modes, something to do with the werewolf/necromancer checks" ?

Not sure if it's too technical to be asked, but Toady : how can a necromancer line of sight affect a non-necromancer targetting something ? Do you mean targetting as in chosing which body part to attack or the "fire crossbow"-type targetting ? And finally, what do werewolves have to do with any targetting at all ?

I didn't read that as necromancer line of sight - I read it as "Targeting is slow in all modes, and it seems to be due to targetting checking for necromancer/werewolves".  That's the only thing that makes sense.  The slow code isn't necromancers/werewolves targeting others, it's X targeting Y and all the code that runs to tell if X or Y are necromancers/werewolves.

This might be related to the new interactions - necromancers and werewolves are only types of people who use the new framework as far as I know.

The news about markets is really awesome.  I'm excited for non-starved kobolds and dwarfs. :)

Another possible problem is that checking to see IF a creature (this include player characters) has a interaction as/attached to an attack.

I say this is because there is no reason to check to see if the targeted creature is a werewolf anymore more than it checks to see if the creature is a chicken.

But the fact that a creature can have several various targeting interactions (some of which might be randomly generated), the targeting system needs to check through any attached syndromes/interactions for attacks and to check the attack for which type of targeting it uses (assuming that all interactions are treated as attacks for targeting).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:33:36 am by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: January 15, 2012, 05:46:03 pm »

The only time I notice combat REALLY slow down is when your knocked unconscious.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: January 15, 2012, 07:35:27 pm »

I guess its the Material-weakness-check that slows combat down. But it shouldnt be that troublesome?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: January 15, 2012, 08:04:26 pm »

Ooh, yeah, hadn't thought of material weaknesses... But still, why does it affect targetting ? I'd expect it to affect the damage resolution. Maybe the targetting AI ?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: January 15, 2012, 09:27:02 pm »

Not to mention mummy bad luck curses- depending on when such checks are made, it might need to know whether the target is cursed early to modify any applicable dodge rolls.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: January 15, 2012, 11:23:54 pm »

Seems the remaining sponsorship animals (which presumably excludes the squids and ostriches and things he already did) won't be accompanied by new, unique features until later. A January release suddenly became much more plausible.

I'm fine with this.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: January 16, 2012, 01:08:42 am »

Just some salt and water related questions:

Toady, will the game ever automatically remove the "salt" flag from empty dry spaces and provide us with means to scrub away "salt" as a contaminate in spaces filled with dry stuff so using cisterns becomes easier and more logical?  Also, will screw pumps ever be changed so they don't purify water and have that function replaced by a desalination tool of some sort?

Edit: To clarify, currently if you dig out a cistern and fill it with fresh water, and then contaminate that water with salt water, it makes the whole cistern full of salt water.  But as an added "bonus" it permanently makes any fresh water later entering the space of the emptied cistern into salt water.  This is irregardless of whether or not you have dug out the cistern and replaced every single block with new blocks, the "space" is what's contaminated, not the materials or items in the space.  So, my question is really why haven't you just made a check that removes "salt" from spaces that have nothing in them (no floor, no blocks, no rocks or trees or items or water) except air, and then just make the salt that still exists a contaminate that can only be removed from dry squares (so a cistern would just be emptied of salt water and scrubbed down good as new).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:19:21 am by Greendogo »
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: January 16, 2012, 07:42:07 am »

why haven't you just made a check that removes "salt" from spaces that have nothing in them
thousands (additional) checks every single tick may be described as "Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: January 16, 2012, 08:21:23 am »

why haven't you just made a check that removes "salt" from spaces that have nothing in them
thousands (additional) checks every single tick may be described as "Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag"
Lag smag. Toady already describe checking for such thing, doesnt actually impact game responsiveness. As far as liquids go, its their logarithmic exponential mixing/interaction checks per tick that'll bog down the game.

Whats probably closer to a real reason to this long standing bug, is that it hasn't come up as part of DF development. It'll probably remain that way until liquids get looked at again. Maybe when more liquid types are added, or maybe when additional vehicles are added to the game, IE, ships.

Just some salt and water related questions:
Toady, will the game ever automatically remove the "salt" flag from empty dry spaces and provide us with means to scrub away "salt" as a contaminate in spaces filled with dry stuff so using cisterns becomes easier and more logical?  Also, will screw pumps ever be changed so they don't purify water and have that function replaced by a desalination tool of some sort?

The answer to this question, is most likely to be, yes, eventually.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:24:40 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: January 16, 2012, 08:54:25 am »

Hmm I wonder... Well I guess I'll put out the Footkerchief bait... but this question is driving me nuts

Toady do the sponsorship animals means that soon we will have giant and person versions of all the animals currently in the game? Are we that far from a Monarch Butterflyman?
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 298