Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 843108 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1935 on: June 07, 2012, 12:23:14 am »

I'm assuming the victims eventually recover, right?

Also, thanks for training up my dorf.

Half the military has it, so as long as they don't starve in bed waiting for TheMadFool to diagnosis them, everyone should survive.

Considering I built the Trade Depot/swimmming pool in the first place, it's probably partially my fault.

Wait... then that means my works continue to have no benevolent value and are only good for evil!  MY LEGACY CONTINUES!  8)

Its probably for the best. Once they get demon sickness, they become immune so in effect, they become that more badass. I've suspended CARP training though for the time being to study if there is any long term effect (i.e., ability to grasp lost). In addition, if a dwarf in water falls unconscious, they immediately begin to drown; the trade depot doesn't have an easy way to quickly drain it, and I'm determined not to loose any dwarfs on my turn if I can avoid it.

That being said, I feel like I'd be crossing a moral event horizon by plaguing our own solders ....

(on an aside, the tvtropes page is growing at an alarming rate; I didn't know how many of us were tropers!)
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: June 07, 2012, 12:27:46 am »

Wait...the dwarves already infected become immune to the syndrome?

My God, you've invented Dwarven vaccination.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1937 on: June 07, 2012, 12:53:15 am »

Wait...the dwarves already infected become immune to the syndrome?

My God, you've invented Dwarven vaccination.

I believe so. May require some !!science!! to verify but I've yet to see anyone brought to the hospital for it until now. If Dwarf's didn't gain immunity, TheAussieDwarf to constantly be going in and out of the hospital since he's constantly smoothing and engraving the bunker. In addition, more of the military should have been laid up if one could be infected twice.

If nothing else, the trade depot drowning chamber indirectly will help boost the life expectancy of the military by leading to the invention dwarven vaccination.

Also, the idea of vaccinating our dwarfs vs. turning them into walking plague carriers suddenly made it more palatable ...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:56:21 am by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: June 07, 2012, 12:59:00 am »

Why am I not at all surprised my dwarf is engraving the surface of Hell?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1939 on: June 07, 2012, 01:05:52 am »

Why am I not at all surprised my dwarf is engraving the surface of Hell?

I'm pretty sure I snapped his mind by using the trade depot for good vs. evil. He mumbled something about that madman running the fort then disappeared below.

(I also learned that the symbol of The Basement of Murder is an image of full moons[sic]. Makes you wonder what the hell sort of planet we're on)

EDIT: And this ...

"Engrave on the wall is a finely-designed image of Lun, the deity of the weater, depicted as a male dwarf by Kib Avalmonon. Lun is screaming."

Even the gods are freaked out as hell about Deathgate ...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:07:40 am by NCommander »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: June 07, 2012, 01:17:25 am »

I'm not surprised, considering what you're mixing into the trade depot/swimming pool.

Also has anything good EVER happened under a full moon? 

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1941 on: June 07, 2012, 02:10:58 am »

I'm not surprised, considering what you're mixing into the trade depot/swimming pool.

Also has anything good EVER happened under a full moon?

How was I supposed to know that we had dried demon blood on our armor that would flow off and generate a demon blood trap when the doors were unlocked?! At least I didn't add vampire blood to the mix.

Also, I did have a night creature transform and destroy half a siege once, so you can make full moons work for you.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: June 07, 2012, 01:26:07 pm »

Deathgate's TvTrope page needs a quote for the top.  I'm thinking of using Blade Master's quote from the OP.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1943 on: June 07, 2012, 02:03:12 pm »

Deathgate's TvTrope page needs a quote for the top.  I'm thinking of using Blade Master's quote from the OP.

I personally like your first quote in the OP about driving the fort into the ground. Its a pretty succent summary of the entire clusterfuck that's Deathgate.

EDIT: Geeze, looking at the tropes page, its starting to sound like a war epic, combined with social commentary due to the number of averted, subverted, and deconstructed troops. How many Succession Games can subvert "We Have Reserves"?!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:06:39 pm by NCommander »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: June 07, 2012, 03:06:33 pm »

I support this option. This support has nothing to do with any kind of personal motivation. Not at all.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: June 07, 2012, 03:22:56 pm »

I was just thinking, if Deathgate is the last dwarven fortress in the world, and we have no monarch, who does the civilization screen say is leading us?  So if you push 'c' in game, what does it say about the Basement of Murder?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1946 on: June 07, 2012, 03:46:17 pm »

I was just thinking, if Deathgate is the last dwarven fortress in the world, and we have no monarch, who does the civilization screen say is leading us?  So if you push 'c' in game, what does it say about the Basement of Murder?

"This land has no important leaders."

Or in other words: "Oh Crap!".

EDIT: Demon sickness update; my dwarf recovered on her own, and seems to be fine; the D dropped off her on the health menu. Scalliper hasn't recovered yet but I suspect its just a matter of time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:40:28 pm by NCommander »

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: June 07, 2012, 05:03:03 pm »

No, I think using Blade Master's is a good idea. It kinda fits with the theme on the DF community trope page, too.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1948 on: June 07, 2012, 05:41:23 pm »

So far things go relatively well, though I had a *slight* accident. Will fully writeup tonight/tomorrow morning, but I'm curious if anyone can guess what happened:

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: June 07, 2012, 07:40:11 pm »

Wasn't there a syndrome that caused blisters to break out all over?
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 175