Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1260161 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #13125 on: May 20, 2020, 05:42:22 pm »

I started playing master mode, but now I think I'll go back to expert. You don't get anything new, and expert was already punishing enough. The extra item slot is tempting, but eh, not worth the pain.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13126 on: May 20, 2020, 05:56:34 pm »

Yeh, like, it's great and opens up that much more to interesting accessory combos, but. Vanilla doesn't do super interesting things on that front (whereas mods can get pretty wild), and if you're doing mods for the good stuff you might as well use mods that include more accessory slots without needing master going, too :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13127 on: May 20, 2020, 05:58:56 pm »

Every now and then I get the urge to do some early game spelunking.

I enjoy digging deep with minimal gear.  The combat is hard enough to make it fun.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13128 on: May 20, 2020, 06:02:48 pm »

Yeah, I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoy the low level shittiness of starting out. Combat is tough, platforming matters, you have to go slow.

Versus Hardmode where it's lollaserrainbowspam most of the time. Still tough, but a different kind of tough.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13129 on: May 20, 2020, 06:19:49 pm »

I mean, I don't dislike much of the lower level gameplay and exploration? I enjoy things more when more toys are out and about, but if the starting stuff was a major downer to me I wouldn't have started, like, dozens of new worlds or whatever over however many hundreds of hours I've sunk into terraria (steam says 2009, but I think a lot of that was it idling in the background, ha). Do tend to prefer wings (or just fall damage negation), but that's mostly because fall damage is kinda' wonky and I'd rather... not. Deal with having to worry about it.

I just dislike the mining, or more accurately find vein miner to be an order of magnitude better play experience, making digging massively less tedious and just generally making the exploration and progression much smoother, on top of having some neat applications outside of specifically mining out ore patches.

Honestly, so far as progression goes, with what I've experienced with journey mode I legitimately think I'd just prefer vein miner. It similarly reduces the pain of a lot of the grind, but in a way that still has you spelunking around plenty and digging stuff up. It just, y'know,  mostly removes the part of the digging that's friggin' make-work. Add on maybe luiafk or something to nix potion tedium and things are just... smooth. Slick. You can ramble around exploring and playing the game without much need or incentive to interrupt that to spend too much time slowly digging up another patch of iron or whatever.
Ask not!
Ask!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13130 on: May 20, 2020, 06:22:14 pm »

Generally every time I pick this back up I start with a fresh character/fresh world. Partly because I can never remember how my previous character/world was built. I haven't tried Journey Mode yet, as I was in the middle of a run when it dropped.

I'm still rounding out my pre-Hardmode checklist. Right now I'm sticking various NPCs in various places to set up around the map in order to set up the pylon network. It's annoying, I'd rather have everyone in one place, but the pylons should make that a bit easier. Also the price penalty is really hurting my cashflow.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: May 20, 2020, 07:29:59 pm »

I like the pylon stuff, though every single NPC preferring <=2 people in their "town" (and having a... lot of dislikes) is just weird. I like the pylons both just for themselves and for discouraging one megabase with a square box for every NPC, but it feels just a bit too limiting.
Also pylons make hardmode evil biome management a lot more hellish. Since now not only do you need to worry about protecting at least one chunk of the map, but you need to protect a chunk of every biome you have NPCs in. Which will be a lot, with pylons. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's interesting to see the change.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: May 20, 2020, 07:53:47 pm »

that's the thing, Master Mode is for the challenge. it wasnt designed to have extra epic loot, just Expert mode with a much higher difficulty curve and some cosmetical stuff to feel acomplished. if you want to bleed and get broken stuff from winning it you have to wait until mods are ported to 1.4

speaking of which. im kinda curious into seeing how will Thorium adapt the new foods into the system, in fact, im surprised no one has tried to make a proper survival mod (there was one in development before 1.4 but im not sure if it will keep up). now that the player can sleep and eat and there's different lvls of well fed we could morph this into something similar to Minecraft Survival mode but on 2D.

the new weather effects also make me thing in Overhaul, there's a lot of potential interactions with the new mods. but i cant think of all right now. but the most critical i can think right now is what will happen to Thrower gameplay now that the class got gutted in Vanilla. Calamity solvents this by having implemented the "Rogue" class as a replacement for Thrower (part of it as a way to evade people from mixing the different throwing upgrades from other mods with their own). all the big mods around have included content to expand on Summoner and Thrower classes, it would be really sad if suddenly all that content gets converted into yet more Ranged stuff.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:01:16 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13133 on: May 20, 2020, 08:30:26 pm »

I mean... more health and damage does increase the difficulty, but it's pretty much the most boring way possible to do it. There's at least two mods (calamity, I think fargo? Whatever has masochist mode) that does better, doing a combination of either upping said stats on top of changing boss and some mob behavior, and/or adding new mechanics to the game to make things spicier.

It's just expert with higher damage and more meat shield, y'know? It doesn't add anything except inflated numbers :-\

E: Though yeah, when I saw confirmation that's all master difficulty does -- bigger numbers and a slew of cosmetics -- I just... closed the terraria window I had on. Like you say, I'm probably just going to wait until mods get updated. Cosmetic stuff doesn't give me a sense of accomplishment, new toys to play with does that, heh. They don't even have to be broken or whatever, just interesting somehow.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:34:32 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: May 20, 2020, 10:17:42 pm »

I like the pylon stuff, though every single NPC preferring <=2 people in their "town" (and having a... lot of dislikes) is just weird. I like the pylons both just for themselves and for discouraging one megabase with a square box for every NPC, but it feels just a bit too limiting.
Also pylons make hardmode evil biome management a lot more hellish. Since now not only do you need to worry about protecting at least one chunk of the map, but you need to protect a chunk of every biome you have NPCs in. Which will be a lot, with pylons. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's interesting to see the change.

I think the idea is that you start with a small village, prices suck and you have to travel by conventional means. Then as you get in to Hard Mode and no longer need anything from the NPCs, you relocate them their respective biomes to get the Pylons and simplify travel for Hard Mode.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13135 on: May 21, 2020, 11:23:07 am »

I am stuck in fullscreen mode. It says it switches to windowed, but it doesn't changing the "borderless" mode does nothing and changing the resolution keeps it in fullscreen mode. No idea what's going on and google isn't helping.

EDIT: Aaaaaand my UI is gone.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13136 on: May 21, 2020, 01:14:35 pm »

I've gotten pylons for the Jungle, Forest, Snow, and Desert biomes. I put the Witch Doctor and Dryad in the Jungle, the Dye Trader and Painter in one of the further-out Desert areas, and Mechanic and Goblin in a cozy frozen bunker of love. Then I moved people around back at my main base so the Merchant would sell me the Forest pylon and put it there.

Now I have a small problem of the Dye Trader no longer having the option to trade in Strange Plants.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13137 on: May 21, 2020, 01:42:30 pm »

Now I have a small problem of the Dye Trader no longer having the option to trade in Strange Plants.
Have you unlocked hardmode. I believe they moved dye creation to be gated by hardmode now.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13138 on: May 21, 2020, 01:53:07 pm »

Really? Well, that's bullshit if they did that. Only thing on the wiki is that Strange Plants themselves only (re)spawn on a hardmode world. The world I'm playing was made just before the 1.4 release, so I've still got a few unpicked.

Still a few more things on my list before I hit hardmode anyway. I need to scour some chests to find a Radar, and also build a place I can farm nymphs to get a Metal Detector. Might even go the whole way and get the Fish Finder and make a Cell Phone, as besides the Radar(for REK3000) and Metal Detector(for Goblin Tech), all I need is the Fish Finder's components.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13139 on: May 21, 2020, 02:00:50 pm »

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Dye_Trader

Speaking to the Dye Trader will show the "Strange Plants" quest (requires Hardmode on desktop 1.4) , in which the Dye Trader asks players to fetch him rare plants. In return, he rewards players with 3 vials of a special dye which cannot be obtained otherwise. More of these dyes become available as the game progresses.
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 887