Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254515 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The devs have been really restrictive about mods for some reason. The only thing they haven't esploded about so far is the beta-phase modloader.

Well, disliking mods is probably for the same reason that Notch is only lukewarm about modding in Minecraft. Namely, implementing a proper mod API is ridiculously tough if you didn't plan to do so from the beginning (and even then, a powerful mod API is still tough). And modding without an API either involves users decompiling the source, or you providing the source, neither of which is exactly a palatable option for a commercial product.  :P

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The devs have been really restrictive about mods for some reason. The only thing they haven't esploded about so far is the beta-phase modloader.
Well, disliking mods is probably for the same reason that Notch is only lukewarm about modding in Minecraft. Namely, implementing a proper mod API is ridiculously tough if you didn't plan to do so from the beginning (and even then, a powerful mod API is still tough). And modding without an API either involves users decompiling the source, or you providing the source, neither of which is exactly a palatable option for a commercial product.  :P
I think the issue here is more that characters are transferable between maps and servers, and it would be hard to figure out how would mods work out with this, if at all.
Minecraft doesn't really have that problem.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm I wish I could find a copy of the FAQ from before the game was released. They had a question up on it about modding but I don't remember the answer. I think they answered a question about modding in one of the LP videos they did, but there's no way I'm rewatching them just to find that. I remember their answer being something along the lines of what Thexor was saying. They didn't plan to allow modding because it involved releasing at least part of the source and they felt they could keep up with the community well enough on their own.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile

I replaced the awful "tink" stone-mining noise with the old universal-mining noise. Suddenly this game is a lot more playable WHERE DID THE LAST THREE HOURS GO!?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Speaking of replacing noises, did they remove the KEESH-like glass noise?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

For the diablo item styles, personally, I don't like socketing. It still makes the top tier items top tier, and since basically you can just socket some good attributes to your armor and ignore the lower level armor's bonuses, it kinda kills the fun.

However, enchantments are welcome, so as long as they are random.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

For the diablo item styles, personally, I don't like socketing. It still makes the top tier items top tier, and since basically you can just socket some good attributes to your armor and ignore the lower level armor's bonuses, it kinda kills the fun.

However, enchantments are welcome, so as long as they are random.
Heh, really? Weird, I would like the exact opposite. Socketing items lets you customize them, putting work into makeing the set that is perfect for how you play. Random enchantments... are a boring grind-fest in my opinion.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Nonrandom enchantments (enchantment recipes) would work better than socketing, I think. Kinda like alchemy that exists now, but with more rare minerals rather than plants.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

So in building my underground superhighway in my 1.05 personal world, I've reached the UJ. Only it's more like Corruption + UJ. The two are basically inter-mixing freely. The roof of my super highway has been lined with shadow orbs so far. Kinda wish there was a corrupted jungle look now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Highways are fun! My entire world is criss-crossed with them underground to let me get to valuable farms and lakes for water. That plus the core tunnels make moving around easy! Now to mine all the dirt from around the dungeon...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

My only highway is between my town and Jungle Outpost Alpha, which is rapidly becoming my new home. All I need are more chests and a furnace/forge and it'll be a permanent thing. Mud is surprisingly easy to work with if you don't use it for a ceiling, and wood looks really nice with the jungle environment. Normally I'd completely ignore wood in favor of stone, but not here.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wood looks good everywhere. Except in hell, where it dasn't fit.
Everybody!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

It's vaguely hilarious to make wholly wooden structures immersed in hell-lava, though. With obsy pots, you can even make it so you have to lavadive to get into the building at all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I built lava diving structures before obsy pots were in :P You just need max health, good armor, and really great grappling hook skills to pull it off.

The potions just take all the fun out of it, damn it :P

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile

Is there some trick with doors that I'm missing? I have a 3-high window and for the life of me I can't get the door to go there. I'm tired of walling up my house every time I leave. Anybody know any arcane tips to get door placement working better?
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 887