Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254391 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #6690 on: December 06, 2011, 04:47:48 pm »

Uhm, I don't know why anyone is having trouble with Hallow/Corruption infesting their base, unless you're using rough stone as your building material. I used nothing but grey brick and grey brick walls, and it stops both dead. I've got Hallow up to the edges of my walls (above and below ground) in my base, but I can confirm that neither that nor Corruption (from Corrupters) will spread to grey brick. I just set up simple entrance blockers with walls of dart shooters and a bit of active stone that I can open from either side, and absolutely everything, including unicorns, will kill itself trying to get in. Since I'm buried, I don't have to worry about wyvern spawns, and since I Hallowified everything around me, I don't have to deal with wraiths or worms. I have yet to have a single enemy get into spawn, apart from a Destroyer that I pulled too close to home.

For that matter, the Wall isn't exactly a big challenge either. Just pave over a 1000-1500 block highway in hell with a lava pool at one end, the bottom of your hellivator at the other, and backstops at both to prevent yourself from overrrunning it. All you need is a set of Hermes boots and some sort of ranged weapon, and you're set. I did my first Wall with starcannon and molten, but didn't bother with it after that. You can very easily do it with a minishark and necro, so long as you have Hermes boots. I actually never even saw the Wall more than twice in a total of around 20 kills on it, because I was always a couple screens ahead of it. The two times were when I wanted to see what it actually looked like. I don't recall ever getting a kill later than about halfway-2/3 of the way down the runway, either, and never used or needed a single health potion or needed combat drugs.

Similarly, if you set up a proper skybridge (maybe 2500 tiles long) not very high off the ground, get Spectre boots and wings, and get a minishark with about 1.5k silver bullets, you can easily take down the Destroyer a couple times, get the souls to make a megashark, and start killing Skelly Prime. By the time you take him on, you should have a mythril set. Once you have a flamethrower and megashark, just grind to full adamantite, and then start grinding the Twins and the other two until you have enough souls for all the Hallowed gear. Seriously, all you need are a skybridge, Spec. boots + wings, and the drive to upgrade your weapons and armor, plus some combat drugs and you easily have the capability to solo the hardmode bosses. They all have very simple patterns (possibly even to the same degree as easymode bosses), and once you memorize those and figure out how to dodge them, you can take them down multiple times per night. Just start with the Destroyer and Cobalt armor + minishark/Clockwork AR and upgrade your armor each time you progress to a new boss, and it is very simple, and in fact very similar to the pre-hardmode progression of metal>dark/shadow>meteor>jungle>dungeon>hell (prewall>wall weapons>cobalt + wall weapons>mythril + megashark, etc.>adamantite + megashark & flamethrower>Hallowed)

The main thing to keep in mind is that hardmode is very ranged-centric, as the megashark and flamethrower, from what I've seen thusfar, are not only safest, but are also the most reliable, due to their high degree of accuracy, velocity, and DPS. The star cannon is too low-velocity to keep up with post-wall bosses, wall and pre-wall weapons aren't high enough damage once you get better stuff, melee is too dangerous for bosses and strong mobs, and magic tends to be hard-limited by mana (I tried soloing bosses with magic-oriented gear; even with max mana, low use, and good regen, I would repeatedly run out and have to chug potions while also putting out lower DPS than with ranged gear). One last thing: When using the megashark, use the cursed bullets, as they not only get the additional damage for the green flame debuff, but it also lights enemies up well in the darkness. My Skelly Prime battles typically have all four of his limbs on fire for the whole time. Oh, and that is one last thing: With Skeletron Prime, not only should you intentionally take down his arms first to make things much easier, but you will accidentally do so if you keep attacking his head. For me, at least, they will always go down in this order: Laser arm first, then bomb arm, then drill/saw arm, and then the head, as the clamp arm is slow and sucks ass.

Wow, that ended up being a bit of a Wall...

8)

of TEXT

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: December 06, 2011, 04:50:50 pm »

I also have a crapton of meteorite bars. Meteor armor seems to suck defense-wise, so I either have to make weapons or sell it. Tempted to make a phaseblade purely for the nerd factor.

I've also come to the conclusion that I have to abandon this small, 1.61 world I started and move on to a big new world. I'm gonna be trying to bring everything along, it it'll take some time.
Meteor armor is caster armor, so it sucks in terms of protection. It does remove the space gun's mana cost, but it's more or less useless in hardmode.

Phaseblades, on the other hand, can be upgraded to phasesabers; which are as fast as Excaliber but much easier to get, with only a 6 point damage difference.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: December 06, 2011, 04:54:14 pm »

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to Kael's server? I had to AFK, timed out, and now it gets stuck on "Found Server" when I try to connect.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: December 06, 2011, 04:54:37 pm »

I also have a crapton of meteorite bars. Meteor armor seems to suck defense-wise, so I either have to make weapons or sell it. Tempted to make a phaseblade purely for the nerd factor.

I've also come to the conclusion that I have to abandon this small, 1.61 world I started and move on to a big new world. I'm gonna be trying to bring everything along, it it'll take some time.
Meteor armor is caster armor, so it sucks in terms of protection. It does remove the space gun's mana cost, but it's more or less useless in hardmode.

Phaseblades, on the other hand, can be upgraded to phasesabers; which are as fast as Excaliber but much easier to get, with only a 6 point damage difference.
The gun's mana cost is minimal, and lots of enemies drop mana-restoring stars anyway. I tend to be a melee fighter, so I need solid defense.

Would my previously-stated equipment be enough to take on Skeletron? I'm at the dungeon right now, and it seems like a meteor somehow landed in it; meteor heads are EVERYWHERE.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: December 06, 2011, 04:58:42 pm »

I had a meteor hit my dungeon too :P

The main issue for skeletron (as with all bosses) is the arena you fight him in.  Get a nice flat area, optionally with layers of wood panels, and you can maneuver around everything.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: December 06, 2011, 05:06:34 pm »

Got killed by meteor heads trying to do just that  ::)

Skeletron will have to wait for a new world, I'm afraid.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: December 06, 2011, 05:06:44 pm »

Uhm, I don't know why anyone is having trouble with Hallow/Corruption infesting their base...
...Wall...

8)

of TEXT
Haha that's an awesome post. "I dunno why you guys think this is all hard, here's a short dissertation on how to make it doable!" Erm, try not to read that sarcastically, I didn't really mean it that way. It's useful, especially since I'm planning on starting up Terraria again today from square one after months of not playing!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: December 06, 2011, 05:11:52 pm »

Uhm, I don't know why anyone is having trouble with Hallow/Corruption infesting their base...
...Wall...

8)

of TEXT
Haha that's an awesome post. "I dunno why you guys think this is all hard, here's a short dissertation on how to make it doable!" Erm, try not to read that sarcastically, I didn't really mean it that way. It's useful, especially since I'm planning on starting up Terraria again today from square one after months of not playing!

Heh, it mostly sprang from my post-1.1 depression because everything turns out to be just as easy as pre-Wall stuff once you crack your first hardmode boss. That, plus continuing rage because

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to Kael's server? I had to AFK, timed out, and now it gets stuck on "Found Server" when I try to connect.

I've had this exact problem, and no amount of googlefu has found an answer, as both my thread and others from as early as August went completely ignored on the official forums and the steam forums. It pisses me off to no end, because MP was basically the only thing that kept me interested in the game. Indeed, once I finished grinding for a complete set of top-tier 1.1 gear, I promptly stopped playing again because of boredom.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: December 06, 2011, 05:24:08 pm »

Heh, it mostly sprang from my post-1.1 depression because everything turns out to be just as easy as pre-Wall stuff once you crack your first hardmode boss.

It's quite frantic in the time before then you gotta admit.

And a majority of people who complain of their base being overrun seem to more mean the land immediately around it than the base itself. Not everyone makes solid cubes of chest warehouse and NPC cubicles, so the outside is a bit more important.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: December 06, 2011, 05:31:43 pm »

It's like this with Terraria: some people over plan, some people underplan. With enough planning, anything in Terraria is easy. Without enough planning, anything in Terraria can be moderately difficult. Planning might mean bringing potions, having the best gear, or bringing a gun to a gun fight instead of a knife.

So when I read people saying WoF is tough or isn't tough.....I figure it's probably down to who spent more time preparing for the fight. Laying a 3000 tile trans-infernal hell highway to fight the WoF, and bringing a gun, means the fight is practically even easier than fighting EoC, damage and life total differences withstanding. Jumping straight down to hell to fight the Wall with no real preparation? Probably one of the hardest fights in the game.

It's the bizarre part about this game that it actually kind of ruins your fun to be a "good gamer" with it, because most of the challenge is inherent in NOT being a good gamer: having crappy gear, not bringing enough light, playing the terrain as it stands instead of terraforming, not using potions at all. The simple choice to not use a specific accessory or item can have a huge impact on how hard the game actually is. Now that I started using Rocketboots, for example, I barely pay attention to the world because I'm spending half my time flying over it. Compared to just a grapple, where you have to address every hill, and every enemy. There's no right or wrong way to play the game, and so everyone has a natural tendency to upgrade themselves right out of being interested in playing anymore.

Because I got to admit, floating above enemies with wings and killing them with impunity sounds like the most boring thing ever, once you get over the fact you have wings.

Most games put barriers around player possibilities so they can't trivialize content. Terraria only opts for the few extreme ones to prevent pure exploiting. But in general it just lets you do what you want, at your own pace...and your own risk. Other games would say "we want a fight in hell with a wall boss, and we want people to actually confront it. So you can't do x, y, z or q." Terraria says "we want a fight in hell with a wall boss. We'll let the players sort out how they're going to deal with it."

So it shouldn't come as a surprise that it took people a day to find the best formula to trivialize it. Shurikens and EoC, anyone? While at times i don't like it, on the other hand, it's refreshing to have a dev who doesn't over develop to prevent people from doing stuff, but just let's the player decide exactly what challenge level they want to manufacture for themselves.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:48:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: December 06, 2011, 05:41:00 pm »

I started fresh with a new character when the patch came out and made him mediumcore just to introduce a new level of challenge.  I recalled how many times I died playing through the first time, and thought it would keep me under-geared and having to orchestrate dangerous equipment retrieval missions.  This time I've only died a couple times and never far from base.  Turns out, survival is really easy if you're the least bit cautious.  I've even tried to be a bit reckless... diving deep underground without leaving an easy return trail for myself and confronting bosses without worrying about having the proper gear level for it.

Haven't fought the wall of flesh yet, though.  I'll be getting to that soon.  I want to get a decent firearm weapon and a vine whip before my first adventures in hell.  Losing my inventory down there could easily present a real problem.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: December 06, 2011, 05:41:56 pm »

So... hardmode is too difficult?

With the risk of sounding slightly brash, I'm actually thinking hardmode... isn't hard enough. Sure, it's aggravating at times, yes, what with giant bats and laser snails and what not. But I wouldn't consider it hard, with the only possible exception being the new versions of the old bosses, which aren't even inherently unique to hardmode itself. I think the only parts I've truly found difficult so far would be fighting the Wall of Flesh and Wyverns.

Also we like our bases.  We put effort into creating a base of operations and we want to keep what we made.  We don't want to discard all our construction because the hollow decided "lol mine now.  umadbro?"  We'll fight for our shit, even if that means using picks instead of swords!
Aye, and I can understand about disapproving of the Corruption/Hallow of taking over your creation, I would loathe it equally. But I personally think fighting the Corruption/Hallow as it comes to you with their mobs and terrain-warping is a lot more enjoyable than going over to the nearest area and mining it one piece at a time. A very dwarven feat, sure, but on a whole not that satisfying.

...unless you make the process of removing the corrupted/hallowed area inherently enjoyable in itself, such as carefully setting up hundreds of pieces of rigged explosives, massive lengths of wire connecting them all, all hooked up to a single corruption/hallow-ending switch, or by undermining hallowed desert to plunge it into hell itself, or...

What have you done to me.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: December 06, 2011, 05:46:38 pm »

...unless you make the process of removing the corrupted/hallowed area inherently enjoyable in itself,

Yeah, no. Seen what a world looks like through a world viewer? There's so much corruption buried in the sub-surface, I don't see how you make that fun. Because there's only three ways to do it. Mine it one tile at a time, dig through half of it to use purifying powder, or stacks upon stacks upon stacks of dynamite. The corruption/hallowed battle, as it stands now, is the game equivalent of busy work. Maybe they never intended you to stamp out corruption, they just wanted some perpetual "action" in the world and having crap tons of fast spreading biomes ensured it would never cancel itself out.

But when they have the Dryad egging you on to cleanse corruption, it sure feels like there's a point to it all. Which makes the 9,000 or so tiles of corruption in just a small world seem like it was planned to keep us busy. Like if your baron in DF mandated you mine out 1,000 microline for their pleasure.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: December 06, 2011, 05:49:56 pm »

Because I got to admit, floating above enemies with wings and killing them with impunity sounds like the most boring thing ever, once you get over the fact you have wings.
Suddenly, wyverns. And harpies frakking everywhere.

I do kinda' wish there were more "trap" monsters like that; ones that would show up in response to particular behavior patterns. Walls that lash out when you grapple them, stuff that actively seeks out (and devours) orbs of light/those-sprite-things, along those lines. Mimics are a good step in that direction, I guess, as is the way wyverns (usually) spawn.

Insofar as re: Hardmode difficulty goes... most of it's the "weaker" (or perhaps lazier) difficulty, if you want to call it that. Just dialing up damage/armor, which isn't very interesting. Some of it actually introduces new challenges (laser snails, chaos elementals, clingers, wyverns), but with few exceptions are easily countered. Hard mode is, by and large, not more terribly more difficult, you just have to be a little more active in how you play. Which is to say you can't just laugh and walk through everything with top tier armor and come out completely undamaged, like you can pre-wall.

But when they have the Dryad egging you on to cleanse corruption, it sure feels like there's a point to it all. Which makes the 9,000 or so tiles of corruption in just a small world seem like it was planned to keep us busy. Like if your baron in DF mandated you mine out 1,000 microline for their pleasure.
We totally need buyable/craftable corruption-eating pets. Hallow spreading non-hostile worms. Plenty of HP, but low damage and somewhat slow, that go out and do the busywork for you. Something along those lines.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: December 06, 2011, 05:51:09 pm »

With the risk of sounding slightly brash, I'm actually thinking hardmode... isn't hard enough. Sure, it's aggravating at times, yes, what with giant bats and laser snails and what not. But I wouldn't consider it hard, with the only possible exception being the new versions of the old bosses, which aren't even inherently unique to hardmode itself. I think the only parts I've truly found difficult so far would be fighting the Wall of Flesh and Wyverns.

FUCKING CHAOS ELEMENTALS

TELEPORTING BITCHES COME HERE AND FIGHT

DON'T TELEPORT INTO ME YOU BASTARDS
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 887