Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261154 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #8400 on: February 22, 2012, 04:20:28 am »

https://twitter.com/#!/GaslampGames/status/172083923457810433
Gaslight Games (maker of Dungeons of Dredmor) posted that up so we might see Terraria revived. 

Personally I think the game has to come to an end however. Mostly due to the core gameplay and the way things like combat are handled.

Not much else you can do apart from more biomes, more enemies that attack in the same way, more gear that just treaks stats and lastly just more grind to be added. I can see how people can like that/designing buildings but that's more of niche that has been filled by other games.
Suppose one could try and turn it into a more multiplayer/mmo kinda deal with more hack and slash elements but it doesn't really make up for a fact the core combat just feels flat and uninteresting (atleast for me). It's also a killer on the spacebar with all the jumping. To smooth the terrain with ramps or something would take a whole new world gen process.

It was worth the 10ish bucks I spent on it and I had fun but I found myself playing for a bit, forgetting about it, and only picking it up when there's a new update. Only to do everything and put it down to forget again.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: February 22, 2012, 11:28:37 am »

Could be worse, they could have kept updating the game haphazardly until the game was nothing more than a sad shadow of its former self. 

*grumble grumble tf2 grumble*
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: February 22, 2012, 01:28:32 pm »

So...it's all over? There isn't any more?

Waah...

Welp, it was worth the monies I paid for it.
Everybody!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: February 22, 2012, 01:42:05 pm »

You can only get the best items by beating all 3 bosses. Not having a use for these final items except for making fighting the same things easier is just bad design. Terraria can still be improved a great deal.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8404 on: February 22, 2012, 05:01:46 pm »

I hope gaslamp games picks up terraria, oh man. Pity about it getting thrown out but eh, whatcha gonna do.

I wouldn't really say it feels unfinished as of now, pretty much everything has a use, sloppy and not well balanced, yes, but unfinished no.

And considering at the end of the day it's still a building game the balance is not too terrible an issue.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: February 22, 2012, 06:44:01 pm »

Could be worse, they could have kept updating the game haphazardly until the game was nothing more than a sad shadow of its former self. 

Oh god... agree with this so much.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: February 22, 2012, 07:14:58 pm »

Just learned.  Huh, little disappointed, sounds like that interesting NPC cities thing isn't going to be implemented then huh?

Oh well, as much as that sounds like a bit of a dropped promise I got more than what I put into it valuewise, so it still works out positive in the end.  GG, looking forward to the next one guys.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: February 22, 2012, 07:59:05 pm »

I wish I could quote Yahtzee on this one, but the quote is buried in one of his reviews somewhere and it's something I've been looking for for awhile now. It's bothersome.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: February 22, 2012, 08:00:44 pm »

I bought a four-pack and shared it with my friends. Money well-spent.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8409 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:45 pm »

Also for people bummed about terraria being done for, take a look at this!

http://playstarbound.com/

Being done by tiyuri, the artist, along with a much larger well put together team. There's already a lot of stuff to go over, and apparently scheduled for a late summer release, but don't hold them to it. More teamwork based stuff (buffing, reviving allies), a bunch of randomly generated planets, traveling between said planets. Basically looks like MMO-ey terraria, although there will be a single player mode. Looking to litterally be terraria 2 at this point.

EDIT: Also hey! IRC interview! Entire thing is pretty much a highlight reel.

I AM THE KING OF IDIOTS AND THERE IS A TOPIC ABOUT IT ALREADY
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:49:09 pm by Seriyu »

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:17 pm »

The news that it will not be worked on any more is somewhat disheartening, despite the many wonderful hours I spent on this game. As of now, much of the endgame seems somewhat unpolished, esp the way the hollow and corruption work. They are pretty much impossible to clear out, and you get no reward for fighting them, and there is no benefit to helping the hallow over the corruption whatsoever. As some may have already mentioned, there really isn't much to do after beating the hardmode bosses, except beat them again. It's a shame, but hopefully modders will pick up the slack, I have seen some wonderful ideas for Terraria mods out there.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: February 23, 2012, 12:04:50 am »

So, who thinks anything will actually come out of the whole Gaslamp-offering-to-support-Terraria thing? I'd be glad to have SOMEone working on it, but disappointed if it interfered with the Dredmor guys' new project. I'm not sure if there's anything to follow apart from the original message though, since I'm one of the last 5 guys on the planet who thinks twitter is moronic. Yeah, I said it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: February 23, 2012, 12:10:39 am »

I am surprised with how much we got out of Terraria. In my opinion it is a near perfect example of an indy game. It released in a fun and complete state. It had features like volume control, key mapping, and character customization. The developers made a bunch of money and added content to the game for a while. The only downside is that they didn't add everythin they promised.

But really, what do you want? Very few games have lived up to the hype they originally generated, even games with huge budgets. What made you think Terraria would or even could?

Try to look at it objectively. The game was a hell of a lot of fun and cheap, but the basic premise was flawed. You could dig straight to hell and skip 3 tiers of weapons without issue. Why would you ever wear silver armor? Combat really was pointless. There could only be 4 zombies on screen at a time, so what was the point of killing any one of them?

To make Terraria into a Tripple A game would have taken years but it made a damn fine "A" game. Isn't it better to have another "A" game from the developers in 1 year than to have a "AAA" Terraria in 3?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: February 23, 2012, 12:13:31 am »

One of the reasons I don't play TF2, despite having bought it before it became Free to Play. People say TF2 is an easy to pick up game? Not if you're 1 year late from all the new stuff that's in.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: February 23, 2012, 12:15:49 am »

One of the reasons I don't play TF2, despite having bought it before it became Free to Play. People say TF2 is an easy to pick up game? Not if you're 1 year late from all the new stuff that's in.

I began playing it in beta and loved it deeply for the first couple years.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 887