Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261382 times)

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #9135 on: May 22, 2013, 03:38:13 pm »

TBH, I've always wanted a better Terraria versus a re-cast sci-fi game. Yes, Starbound is doing it's own things, and that's cool. Sci-fi just isn't what does it for me on a daily basis. I prefer fantasy. So in that regard, I'm still way more interested in an improved Terraria than Starbound.

I feel somewhat the same here. Except that space exploration planets exploration is way above there in my preference list. Combat wise, I prefer fantasy, so I'll probably switch between Terraria and Starbound based on whether I want to explore or explode.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: May 22, 2013, 03:40:40 pm »

Ah, I didn't phrase my comment very well. The ur-example attitude I was referring to was some YouTube "personality"'s description of Starbound being better in every way than Terraria, because (insert featurelist here). The problem was it quickly devolved into attacks on Terraria for having the gall to not be Starbound. I wanted to get across that, had there been no Terraria, chances are pretty high that we wouldn't have Starbound. I *strongly* suspect that Redigit planned to stop supporting the game months before the announcement and gave Tiy his blessing to leave Re-Logic and begin work on Starbound.

I also don't think the comparisons between the two as equivalent products are fair. Terraria was done with Redigit coding, Tiy doing spritework, Blue doing PR, and the guy-whose-name-I-forget doing the soundtrack. Starbound has more than twice that just on the base team, with another 10 people listed as major contributors. All of them benefit from Terraria's shortcomings and Tiy's experience working on a mechanically similar project. And they all have a large imported userbase to draw on.

I'm not saying Terraria was flawless; I just don't understand the basis for judging it inferior to Starbound, when Starbound came about as a direct result of knowing what Terraria could have done better and working with a larger team and more resources to build on that established base. Terraria, Model T Fords, and DOOM all came about in their own time from their own circumstances, and Starbound, Ferraris, and Borderlands all came afterward building on what has been done before. Older stuff isn't inherently bad because it isn't new, newer stuff isn't inherently bad or always better because it isn't old. That's all I wanted to say, in more than so many words.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Walter Sullivan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: May 22, 2013, 04:21:43 pm »

Given the declared expected release date of the update versus hemmingjay's little birdie's word about the Starbound beta, probably not.

Tell me more about that, please.  :o
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: May 22, 2013, 04:24:56 pm »

It's in the Starbound thread............
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: May 22, 2013, 04:29:32 pm »

Hey, I keep up with that thread and I still don't remember Hemmingjay conveying such things. :P

Walter Sullivan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: May 22, 2013, 04:31:54 pm »

Thanks, just found it. Man, if this is really true than I need to pre-order it asap :D
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: May 30, 2013, 04:47:51 pm »

Would anyone know of any up to date mods left?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9142 on: May 30, 2013, 05:05:59 pm »

Is there a release date on 1.2?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: May 30, 2013, 05:57:34 pm »

Is there a release date on 1.2?

July, it seems.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9144 on: May 30, 2013, 06:11:29 pm »

Good to know. :)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: May 31, 2013, 02:04:28 am »

This may or may not be the thread for it, but I'll ask away anyways: I don't suppose there is anyone out there with the Xbox release looking for some 2D camaraderie?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: May 31, 2013, 05:27:07 am »

Well its terraria alright, just another platform so yeah its the place for it :)
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: May 31, 2013, 07:29:40 am »

So. . . is the mod scene dead?

Guess I'll just have to try and code my own friendly npc's instead, then.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: May 31, 2013, 07:33:30 am »

I... dunno. It still looks like there's being work done on some. There's, like, a forum. And there's stuff on it. And things are being updated.

Which variety of "dead" that counts as, I'm unsure...

There's at least a couple with friendly NPCs of varying complexity, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: May 31, 2013, 10:23:50 am »

Everything Terarria related is pretty much dead. There's a few big mods out there but not many of them are updated any longer.

Hopefully that'll change when the new update comes out, assuming the developer doesn't pull the same stunt he did last time.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 887