Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261271 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10380 on: October 09, 2013, 05:27:32 pm »

I'm still pre-hardmode, and I've been scouring my world and have had terrible luck in finding Hermes Boots. I have found literally dozens of golden chests, even actively searching for them, found numerous amounts of the other items you can find, and still no Hermes boots.

I had the same problem with enchanted mirror. Finally gave up and took one from another world. I don't consider it cheating since I already found it before and had been to the underworld and jungle before I caved.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10381 on: October 09, 2013, 05:34:36 pm »

The game straight up encourages using multiple worlds, now. It's impossible to get the ingredients for several crafts from a single world, not to mention the difficulty of finding certain items.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: October 09, 2013, 05:43:03 pm »

The game straight up encourages using multiple worlds, now. It's impossible to get the ingredients for several crafts from a single world, not to mention the difficulty of finding certain items.

Which I find hilarious because most multiplayer servers around here encourage single games and will make you make new characters should they reset.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: October 09, 2013, 06:00:02 pm »

I always considered it perfectly fine to have multiple worlds. Even back in the old Terraria I always had my "home base" world where I built a massive fortress with tonnes of storage.

Then I made lots of smaller worlds to loot and plunder.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: October 09, 2013, 06:05:52 pm »

Yeah, I had a lot of issues with hermes boots and cobalt shields, while my friend easily found those and couldn't find any magic mirrors.

On another note, would it be worth it and/or morally right to just generate a few small worlds and search for pyramids/ice biomes and hope to find sandstorms/blizzards in bottles, as well as looting all islands for red balloons? That bundle of balloons looks really really good.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: October 09, 2013, 06:07:40 pm »

... on the hard mode server, I died, and can get to the general area where I died before ending up dead as well.  if I didn't have several good items on me I would just leave my loot right now, but... yea.
I am growing to despise worm type enemies and the pidgey or whatever that evil underground ice spawn that can go thorugh walls is
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:10:23 pm by bluejello »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: October 09, 2013, 06:08:00 pm »

Technically, it's possible to play entirely on one world. Most of the replaced content is very similar to the original content - Tin is only a tiny bit better than Copper, the Crimson is very similar to Corruption, etc. So long as you're lucky enough to get a pyramid with a Sandstorm in a Bottle, you can play the entire game on one world without missing out on anything major.

That said, making multiple worlds is a very efficient way of earning a lot of loot. And it can be a lifesaver when your world fails to generate a single pyramid or living tree.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10387 on: October 09, 2013, 06:11:07 pm »

I can't imagine using a single world in single player, much less multiplayer. Only certain people who got really lucky would get the best items, and certain progression steps would have to be skipped entirely. Not to mention the fact that certain items, like Stingers, are only dropped by pre-hard mode enemies.

In other news, I've gotten my teleporter system partially set up. It'll almost transport you down to hell, it jumps you to the island right above the main house, it gets you most of the way to the ocean going east, and the wire going west is half done. I'm absurdly proud of this, and I often spend a few minutes just warping around between teleporters.

That bundle of balloons looks really really good.

It's pretty sweet, but I eventually swapped it out for a set of ghost wings.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: October 09, 2013, 06:49:29 pm »

I use all three of the main movement tools: bundle of balloons, wings, and boots. With slopes you can get up to speed very easily, the balloons give you your initial vertical thrust, and the wings/boots give you sustain for long flights if you feather them and glide instead of just holding spacebar down. Also, asphalt OP. If there weren't teleporters my worlds would be paved over.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #10389 on: October 09, 2013, 06:53:40 pm »

Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: October 09, 2013, 06:57:50 pm »

I think my only issue with using multiple worlds is one of convenience. If I need to go to some other biome, I'd rather not have to kick out of a world and load another; instead, I'd rather walk over there. This was possible, to some extent, before the patch, but now there are biomes and features that are rare or exclusive to each other. Starbound's certainly looking to fix that aspect but we'll see how that turns out.

Of course, I recognize it's a pretty petty reason to prefer single world characters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: October 09, 2013, 07:00:29 pm »

Amidst all the annoying nerfs, there's one wonderful thing:

Increased the reach of Wrenches and Wire Cutters

Only one thing to be said.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: October 09, 2013, 07:04:05 pm »

Dat's a lot of new banners.....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: October 09, 2013, 07:12:22 pm »

I'm so damn glad I grabbed my sniper rifle before the dungeon spawning change. That thing is so useful.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: October 09, 2013, 07:15:19 pm »

I think my only issue with using multiple worlds is one of convenience. If I need to go to some other biome, I'd rather not have to kick out of a world and load another; instead, I'd rather walk over there. This was possible, to some extent, before the patch, but now there are biomes and features that are rare or exclusive to each other. Starbound's certainly looking to fix that aspect but we'll see how that turns out.

Of course, I recognize it's a pretty petty reason to prefer single world characters.
It's actually a decent reason.  Multiple worlds breaks what little immersion there is and turns the whole thing entirely more meta - it flaunts the fact that you're just at your desk playing a game, rather than a stalwart adventurer exploring over the lands to find a particular area.
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 887