Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261181 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #11385 on: June 26, 2015, 07:51:32 am »

Again, my laptop works fine for hosting. I was just hoping for a permanent solution, instead, someone else will need to take over in August. By then we'll all be bored anyway.
If we aren't, I could pick up the hosting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: June 26, 2015, 01:29:30 pm »

So this "expert mode"...any idea what it might entail? Will it be perma-death or can you have a softcore character playing on expert mode?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11387 on: June 26, 2015, 01:35:49 pm »

So this "expert mode"...any idea what it might entail? Will it be perma-death or can you have a softcore character playing on expert mode?
from what I understand its more or less the exact same game but with better (harder) enemy AI and a corresponding increase in drops. So like a hard mode I guess, but not necessarily "hardcore" permadeath (which we already have as an option) but one would expect you could do expert mode in hardcore mode...

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: June 26, 2015, 02:37:19 pm »

"Expert" is probably the equivalent of "Hard" in any other game. Higher numbers on enemies, better AI, rarer resources, the works. It just happens that "Hard mode" was already taken for Terraria.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: June 26, 2015, 03:34:52 pm »

"Expert" is probably the equivalent of "Hard" in any other game. Higher numbers on enemies, better AI, rarer resources, the works. It just happens that "Hard mode" was already taken for Terraria.

Goodness... stop reminding me of times when "Hard mode" actually meant something in videogames other then "the enemies have more HP and hit harder"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: June 26, 2015, 03:46:47 pm »

Ah yes, the days of yesterday. Literally yesterday. There's no metaphor, there. There hasn't been a substantial change in how games handle hard mode in my lifetime. More HP and hits harder has always been the default. Change in attack patterns and AI have always been mildly uncommon, but far from unusual. Welcome to the world of the present. It's much like the world of last decade, just generally prettier and with many quality of life improvements.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11391 on: June 26, 2015, 03:51:39 pm »

Also known as "cheaty" AI. No stamina in a stamina driven game and other such 'tweaks' that a player must follow but the AI does not. The AI has more or infinite of a resource.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: June 26, 2015, 05:23:57 pm »

Or come in with nothing and work together. Just a thought.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: June 26, 2015, 05:46:23 pm »

... I remember having to search like 8 throwaway worlds to get certain items. I can't imagine everyone trying to get everything they need from one.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: June 26, 2015, 05:46:27 pm »

Ah yes, the days of yesterday. Literally yesterday. There's no metaphor, there. There hasn't been a substantial change in how games handle hard mode in my lifetime. More HP and hits harder has always been the default. Change in attack patterns and AI have always been mildly uncommon, but far from unusual. Welcome to the world of the present. It's much like the world of last decade, just generally prettier and with many quality of life improvements.

A long time ago in ancient videogame times... Hard mode would alter lay outs and levels to be difficult.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11395 on: June 26, 2015, 05:47:50 pm »

Even a large world  doesn't have enough of certain items for more than 1-2 people. Forcing people to use only what they can find in the world is silly when there literally might be only one cobalt shield or balloon

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: June 26, 2015, 05:53:12 pm »

Even a large world  doesn't have enough of certain items for more than 1-2 people. Forcing people to use only what they can find in the world is silly when there literally might be only one cobalt shield or balloon

And? If the new version doesn't at least have alternatives for basic things like fall damage then it isn't much of an update. Alternatively, suck it up!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: June 26, 2015, 05:56:58 pm »

It's pretty much required for fighting in the underworld unless you're chugging potions that make you immune to lava or flying or whatever (IIRC).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: June 26, 2015, 06:24:36 pm »

The trailer shows a whip that practically makes you ignore gravity. There's alternatives.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: June 26, 2015, 06:25:52 pm »

I was actually just about to ask how bigger multiplayer servers tend to work. Everything multiplayer I've ever done in Terraria has been small (1-3 friends). Makes me wonder about a game mode where multiple worlds are linked together (like always gets discussed for Minecraft, is supposed to be done for Oort Online, etc.).
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 887