Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254385 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #11880 on: July 10, 2015, 02:47:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

works on the giant tree are underway, the idea is to use the space where the cactus house used to be and use it as a covering for the hellevator. the house right now has rooms for the mechanic and the dryad but should be expanded for more NPCs as time goes by. it is the largest construction in the whole town right now.

saving the money for the travelling merchant, im close to getting the materials for the cellphone, just need 3 more accesories (two from the angler, one from the travelling merchant).

whatever gold is left will be used to again, try to get warding on the band of regeneration. i also need a better fishing rod, want to see if i can fish some jungle crates for the accesories left. (mostly the anklet).

also need to farm the bezoar.

EDIT:

found the stylist while exploring a seemingly small spider cave, also found an spider chest with the web slinger. now the only thing left is to spread crimson in a selected spot of the map and it will be enough...

also need to find bait for fishing. neet to get more potion materials.

bought the pots for waterleaf and shiverthorn too.

EDIT 2:

got more summoning potions thanks to the alchemy station and its effects. so saved me the issue of having to wait for more moonglow or lardfish.

found the shadow key in the dungeon, along with the aqua scepter, cobalt shield and magic misile also found the location of the staff of the frost hydra.

as for the shadow chests. found at least three, one had sunfury, another flamelash and the other had the dark lance, got the obsidian rose from an imp, restoration, inferno and life force potions (this should help me on the WoF fight i guess)....

EDIT 3:

farming the bezoar is a complete insanity, have killed more than 150 hornet and not a single one has been dropped, meanwhile i've almost completed the ancient cobalt set.

EDIT 4:

got the bezoar like......almost marking 300 hornets.....got plenty of gold and other stuff to sell. now its left to get the anklet of the wind and some ice skates for making the last equipment for hardmode. fortunately cabins seem to be really frequent so it shouldnt be an issue (i hope).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:20:52 pm by xaritscin »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11881 on: July 11, 2015, 04:30:41 am »

I'm trying to figure out a half-decent, maybe-semi-tileable design for housing, but I'm not very good a coming up with something without seeing it visually (pencil/paper mockups also aren't helpful for pre-design). I initially considered a kind of staggered circle/pod but am having trouble even fitting everything that I want into my main room, let alone whether it will even tile properly.

The DF wiki has a bunch of examples of housing/bedroom design that are more complex than simple lines and boxes, sometimes infinitely tileable, even fractal options. Anyone know of a similar thing for Terraria to help draw inspiration? In particular, I'd like to avoid simple rectangle/box rooms in a tower, but for most or all housing to be part of the same structure.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11882 on: July 11, 2015, 05:34:17 am »

Dunno about for Terraria specifically (check the wiki, though, it might have something), but 2d tessellation designs in general should be pretty easy to adapt. It doesn't really take that much to make a working room in this game, so you're pretty free the make the shape about as wonky as you please.

The only rub is you're probably going to want a one-off workroom, somewhere. Logistics of crafting become much simpler when you can stick everything in a single room, heh. You can always alternatively make the every room buggeroff huge and just have all your crafting tables set up on platforms hanging in the middle of the room or somethin'. When in doubt, upsize. There's a minimum size requirement on rooms, but insofar as I'm aware there's no maximum :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #11883 on: July 11, 2015, 06:51:08 am »

Hey, here's my rough plan for the castle I'm aiming to build soon.
See anything I should be doing differently?

I'll be using tedit to fabricate a larger mountain if I have to, NPCs will be settled where they belong- goblin/engi in the workshop, angler out at the fortified creek, dryad in the large courtyard tree, houses between the creek & the castle for tailors & such. Majority of mountain will be devoted to guest bedrooms & the like, tops of larger towers will host siege equipment mock-ups.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11884 on: July 11, 2015, 11:43:06 am »

been trying to find another pair of ice skates, no cabins found. this is getting annoying. have more than a full stack of ice back home.

if this continues i'll have to use commands or something.

but anyways.

also need to find that godammed anklet.

got a goblin army, the nurse died. the rest was safe.

and need to retake again the fishing quests, got the fish and mermaid costumes already, but nothing of the accesories

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11885 on: July 11, 2015, 11:52:04 am »

I set up a server with some friends, and holy shit it can be hard in Expert Mode. Currently we're just before Plantera, we're cleaning a bit of the jungle (with bombs), and giant tortoise can murder you. They do 280 damage hit on me, and I have around 70-80 armor (could only be better at this level by having the turtle armor, which is why I'm trying to murder them).

Also, Fetid Baghnaks, best weapon in the game. So fun and so powerful. Its damage might be outdated later on, but right now it murders anything (Eye of Cthulu expert doesn't have time to transform).

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11886 on: July 11, 2015, 01:32:03 pm »

When in doubt, upsize. There's a minimum size requirement on rooms, but insofar as I'm aware there's no maximum :V
There is a maximum size for a valid room, 750 tiles including walls, but it is big enough that you shouldn't normally reach it.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: July 11, 2015, 05:18:26 pm »

Damn. Saw a Lost Girl on my radar (lifeform analyzer) but I didn't have a hunter potion, and it despawned while I was moving around trying to find it. :-(

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: July 11, 2015, 05:33:57 pm »

I didn't even know what a Lost Girl was until I accidentally got the achievement.

I was nuking giant holes in my world to seal off the corruption and hallow and accidentally blew one up. Got that achievement and was like "?". Had to go onto the wiki to learn what it was.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: July 11, 2015, 05:44:17 pm »

I just want it for the metal detector so I can craft the phone/pda.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11890 on: July 11, 2015, 06:24:03 pm »

it took a long time of searching and i practically cartographed almost the full underground snow, but i did it, got a second pair of ice skates, so now have both frostpark boots and arctic diving gear.

finding the anklet was many times easier, just had to explore a part i overlooked in the jungle, found at least two cabins but got the item from a shrine.

the only stuff left are the living mahogany tools and the materials for the cellphone (need the fishing guide, lifeform analyzer, DPS meter and the weather radio).

oh and i have to find the sharpening station too....

this will be a longer grind i guess.....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:29:31 pm by xaritscin »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #11891 on: July 11, 2015, 10:00:27 pm »

I'm very glad for the fishing exploit-

# of quests completed is kept up to date & time consumption is cut by...a lot.
I'd rather not think about waiting around for 120 days in order to get a fish finder/PDA/cell phone.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11892 on: July 11, 2015, 11:03:14 pm »

have explored a large part of the jungle, even found the jungle temple (or atleast its borders, havent looked for the entrance)...but i havent found a single sharpening station, nor the mahogany tools.

this is horribly annoying, i think i will just add them with the inventory editor. i dont like to cheat but i had already had to grind for the ice skates, dont want to spend 1-2 even 3 hours looking for a single object underground, had suffered already with ice skates and the bezoar. i want to advance, i can bear the angler's quest and the travelling merchant but not that..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:14:15 pm by xaritscin »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11893 on: July 12, 2015, 02:50:25 am »

Well, after maybe a year or so of owning this game (a kind friend gifted it to me but I never got around to playing it), I've finally decided to try it out. It's fun! I like it. But I'm a huge wuss and scared of all the monsters. I love exploring and finding things and building things, but the monsters are scary and I don't want to die.

I've done quite a bit of exploring underground (even went on with a friend for a bit and he took me down to where the demons are, at which point I promptly retreated back to the surface with my 180 HP and my low-level armor). I do get frustrated at how slow mining is. I seem to search and search and search and hardly ever find anything but stone and dirt and mud and clay and the occasional cave with a few pots with torches in them or something. Then I get killed by a medusa or other such beastie. The real frustration is that I can't seem to find enough materials to make useful things. I can't even seem to find any more hearts.

For now I think I'm just going to create a new world, because maybe I got stuck with a dud. At least for exploring and resource-mining. Get some hearts and some iron ore, at least, because at the moment I've got more gold and gems than iron, and that just doesn't seem right.

Does anyone have any tips on how to speed along the initial grinding for basic resources? I do have a tungsten pickaxe now, which helps, but my armor is quite weak (a cobbled-together collection of tin and cactus) and I have very low health, so when I encounter a tough monster I'm pretty much screwed.

Also, above-ground, I've explored a ways to either side, and found that I have a desert to the left (apparently quite a large one - I haven't made it across it yet and got killed by buzzards and antlions trying) and to the right there's ice, then a tiny bit of jungle, then that horrible red dark evil stuff which I'm still too weak to deal with. So I feel kind of trapped until I can get some kind of better equipment.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11894 on: July 12, 2015, 02:54:18 am »

I'm running into the same crap on my world, non-Expert. Took me a while to find enough to even make Tin armor and I screwed up and used my iron to make a useless crafting station with a misclick.

Try a wooden bow for starters just to do some damage to things farther away from you, and if necessary you can build yourself a hasty bunker out of dirt while on the surface, then dig a murder hole and fire through that.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 887