Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261244 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12645 on: October 14, 2017, 02:48:53 pm »

YESSSSS

Bratty half-pint Angler has finally given up the Weather Radio. Now I have the Cell Phone!

now to farm the materials for the ankh shield  :P
Working on it! I think there's maybe three or four materials I still need.

In between farming expeditions, I'm working on my floating base. I'm going for a vaguely flying saucer look, with NPC living quarters on the bottom (widest) level, storage and crafting the next floor up, and personal quarters/gallery on the top. It's also where the Nurse will live, for easy fast healing.  Building the whole damn thing out of smooth granite, because I like how it looks and it's easily farmable.

Because I am a generous player, every NPC gets personalized rooms, matching as closely as possible to their theme (eg, Steampunker gets Steampunk furniture, Angler gets palm furnishings, etc). The eventual goal is to have every NPC (except the Truffle, for obvious reasons) able to walk around and interact with every other NPC, by giving the Tavernkeeper a large "lounge" in the middle of the living quarters.

It's...very much a work in progress.

I'm also planning to build a lava trap to deal with events and invasions. I got hit with a Solar Eclipse earlier today, and those monsters are vicious.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12646 on: October 14, 2017, 04:10:08 pm »

I was considering adding an empty bay to my herb farm so I had a place to grow fire blossom as soon as I got the planters, so I checked the wiki to make sure I knew what unlocked the planter. Found I line I had never noticed before "Although each Planter Box has different seed names, any herb seeds can grow in any planter box."

Grrr. I could have had this stupid farm finished way back when the dryad first arrived.

Anyway, skybridge progress is halted until I can get another stack or so of wood (my current priority: wait for trees to mature). Otherwise, all the containment shafts are finished, and my hellbridge is probably long enough. Almost time.

All the non-skybridge projects left can be finished in various bouts of project downtime.

In other news, I'm really starting to hate the fisherman. I have multiple of most of his accessories, except high-test line and the weather radio. If I get one more batch of journeyman bait and fishing potions I think I'll flood his room (ok, maybe not).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12647 on: October 14, 2017, 04:26:09 pm »

I think I'll flood his room (ok, maybe not).

Do it! With magma. It is the dwarven way.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12648 on: October 14, 2017, 05:39:08 pm »

No, he gets a reprive. He gave me the golden fishing rod. Still no weather radio though.

These harpies are driving me nuts. Placing the bridge surface isn't a big deal, just run along placing platforms and stop every 40-50 to fire the bee gun at my pursuers (it helps to have items/potion that speed block placment). Placing the chests is another story. The chests needs to be 50 tiles apart, less is a waste, more is inefective. This means running along with the ruler, finding the right spot, placing a chest, and repeating. Since this is much slower than placing platforms, the stupid harpies swam you right about the time you want to place the chest, then by the time you have it placed and are almost to the next spot more show up. Needless to say this grealy slows progress.

Oh well. One half of the bridge is compleatly finished, an the other half has two thirds of the bridge surface but no chests. Half a stack of wood should finish it.

You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12649 on: October 14, 2017, 06:08:02 pm »

If you have Hellstone, I recommend crafting the Imp staff. It gives you a friendly imp that flies around and shoots fireballs at foes, completely passively and at no mana cost other than the initial summon. If you managed to find a Bewitching station in the Dungeon, you can place and right-click it in order to summon two of them at once. They do a decent job at shredding harpies.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12650 on: October 14, 2017, 06:32:14 pm »

Imp staff! I have one, but it seemed weak at the time, and I ditched it into my weapons chest. For keeping harpies busy I bet it would work great.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12651 on: October 14, 2017, 07:21:21 pm »

Imps are pretty weak, yeah, but they're the strongest pre-hardmode summons, MAYBE other than the Tavernkeep's sentries.

If you're willing to forgo some defense, try crafting Bee armor from the beeswax you get from Queen Bee. It'll allow you to have three summons out at a time (so, three Imps maybe), which will do a much better job at protecting you from multiple attackers. Using the Bewitching table buff will bump that up to four imps.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12652 on: October 14, 2017, 10:37:04 pm »

4 imps (I already had bee armor too) do a pretty good job of keeping the harpies at bay. I still have to fire off a beegun volley every now and again, but it is way nicer than before. Anyway, I'm now about half way done placing chests, and 3/4 of the way done with the bridge surface on the east half (the west half is totally done). Currently halted due to lead and wood shortages :(

I'm taking the oportunity to finish my glowing mushroom farm, then it will be time for some serious lead mining for the last 30 or so chests.

Tavern keep. I kew I was forgetting something. I need to run through the invasion event to grind a bunch of medals so I can afford the better summon items once I'm in hardmode. I could wait, but why bother? The event isn't that hard and it is kinda fun.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12653 on: October 14, 2017, 11:04:11 pm »

Better do it now. The event progresses to its tougher difficulty level once you enter hard mode, whether you did the first level of challenges or not. As a result, I'm virtually incapable of earning medals because I'm getting swarmed with very tough enemies, and since I can't earn medals I can't get the higher tiers of sentries or the special armor sets the Tavernkeeper provides. I'll probably need to wait until I have post-Plantera gear in order to win any medals at all.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12654 on: October 14, 2017, 11:52:37 pm »

If I were you I would create a new world just to grind the medals needed for two different tier two sentries. If you import the needed supplies (the crystal and base) you shouldn't need to actually build anything except the arena and maybe a hut for the guide if you are feeling generous. Whatever you do don't take on golem until you have enough medals for tier three stuff, defeating golem activates the final difficulty.

Anyway, the skybridge is finished except for 30 or so chests, the glowing mushroom farm is finished asside from letting the grass spread. I may be ready to take on the wall today yet... My plan is to use the hive pack and beenades, acording to the wiki they totally ruin him (it says 60-80 to kill, we will see).

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12655 on: October 15, 2017, 12:10:21 pm »

went to the hallowed tundra to farm souls of light for the summoning item. went back with 1 nazar, 1 frozen turtle shell, souls of light and bright soul dust along with other materials. preped for he Coznix fight in the underworld, died because i forgot to bring food, and because i got trapped with the lava wave attack. defeated him in round 2. the world now has valadium ore, but this ore only serves for making ranged armor it seems.

with that, i have the mechanical bosses next on the list. Coznix dropped its expert mode item (a minion staff) so i have a replacement for the spiders, and also a sword, but its melee so nope. i still need 7 more charms to craft white knight armor. so i think im gonna go fish in the underground corruption again.

EDIT:

no strange or corruption crates so i went and fought Skeletron Prime. the beholder minions are slow to fire (much like imps) but they got the job done. focusing most of the arms was a chore but in the end, the head was left open so it went easy. there's a recipe for a black hole cannon magic weapon, but i need several souls so i think i have to farms these boses for it.

next on the list is crafting a mechanical eye and a mechanical worm. there's also a magic weapon called the bass booster which should be a proper replacement for the crystal serpent.

EDIT:

the bass booster does a fairly good amount of damage for its mana cost, got to kill the destroyer spamming the beats constantly. now i just need to farm souls of light to summon the Twins. maybe defeat Coznix again to get the last component of the black hole cannon. need to check further.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:52:04 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12656 on: October 15, 2017, 04:29:59 pm »

Black hole cannon's pretty neat, so long as I'm not confusing it with a yet higher tier singularity something or other. Don't recall it really being a primary weapon, though. The shot lingers for a quite a while, iirc, so it's more like an AoE turret gun or somethin'. Can hurt pretty bad if you land the shot on something, but you probably won't be shooting it that often, as terraria weapons go.

... totally could be misremembering it, though. Seem to remember two guns with similar effect, one that flew forward and pierced (so it could drag things away from you) and one that hit something and then left a deathball in its place. Might be confusing the deathball with the different deathball that fired lightning bolts or whatev' at things (not the vanilla magic orb thing, mind. Much deadlier.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12657 on: October 15, 2017, 04:43:22 pm »

If I were you I would create a new world just to grind the medals needed for two different tier two sentries. If you import the needed supplies (the crystal and base) you shouldn't need to actually build anything except the arena and maybe a hut for the guide if you are feeling generous. Whatever you do don't take on golem until you have enough medals for tier three stuff, defeating golem activates the final difficulty.
So I'm doing this, and I see that my suggestion for Bee Armor and Imp Staffs applies to much more than merely keeping harpies off one's back. Three imps can solo just about everything up to tier 1, wave 4 (when the wyverns start showing up).

Shame that you only get five medals per event. This is going to take over 100 invasions if I want the mid-tier stuff.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12658 on: October 15, 2017, 05:12:25 pm »

fighting the Twins with overhaul is a PITA. mostly because Spazmatism can burn you down with cursed flames in a mater of seconds. have to perfect my dodge or finish that white knight armor (or just use titanium instead).

im gonna prepare the rest of my potions, these guys may require further empowerments to get shot down. the beholders are too slow to take care of them.

EDIT:

ok turns out i had miscalculated the stats of the White Knight armor, it gives more defense than Forbidden (at seems more than titanium mage) so i went, brought my hard potions and defeated the Twins on round 2. Spazmatism had me close to dying but i was able to dodge a the flames for quite some time. so yeah, now i have to prep for Plantera.

also it turns out that the las item for the Black Hole Cannon was sold by one of the NPCs so yeah, i can craft that thing :P

hmmm it seems there's another boss before Plantera, gonna have to check him out, allthought i dont think im ready, gonna look at it anyways.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:05:21 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12659 on: October 15, 2017, 07:37:28 pm »

started to make a small arena in the jungle near the beehive since its the most open space. in terms of stats, White Knight is above hallowed but i think its still below chlorophyte. i have plenty of stuff for the fight but since i loose the minion damage bonuses of forbidden armor, i can only rely in the Bass Booster and Black Hole Cannon to survive apart of dodging the plant. i also found the Staff of Regrowth in a shrine that was hidden.

and turns out the Hallow failed to contain a piece of corruption, it got stopped by a clay formation and thus i had to add a piece of pearlsand to the desert near the base so i can quarintine the region before its too late. also, need to start doing a pearlstone farm.

i've also farmed some pumpkins for summoning the Lich boss. and later for the Pumpkin Moon event.
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 887