Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 816929 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9660 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:48 pm »

Hrm, I wonder if human sacrifice would be acceptable if it were consensual.

Probably not as it'd go quite similarly to how assisted suicide went. With added accusations of cult like behavior and probably satanism.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: January 10, 2012, 08:35:15 pm »

Probably not as it'd go quite similarly to how assisted suicide went. With added accusations of cult like behavior and probably satanism.

Sorta answered your own question. We can't even kill terminal patients who just ask to die a little sooner and in less pain (waits for someone to look up Wash State/ Oregon law) how would that work?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: January 10, 2012, 08:41:16 pm »

Not in the US. As I mentioned before in a thread that may or may not have been this one, the Supreme Court ruled over a hundred and fifty years ago that you only have freedom of religious belief, and that religious actions may be banned if they conflict with laws that the government has a rational and compelling interest to have (so long as the law is narrow enough to cause as little restriction to personal freedom while serving this interest).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: January 10, 2012, 08:48:14 pm »

Would depend on who's doing the sacrifice, I think. Would it be illegal to just watch somebody commit ritualistic suicide?

Sacrificing someone else could never be acceptable (and hardly sacrificing yourself either, for the same reasons), though, because the consensuality could always be brought into question. For example, if someone if brainwashed into wanting to be sacrificed, is it really consensual? And how could we possibly know when it is and when it's forced?
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: January 10, 2012, 08:53:06 pm »

Would depend on who's doing the sacrifice, I think. Would it be illegal to just watch somebody commit ritualistic suicide?
Yes. Denial of assistance.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: January 10, 2012, 09:01:09 pm »

Yes. Denial of assistance.

I was actually waiting for someone to say this.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: January 10, 2012, 10:34:15 pm »

@Truean:

Quick question, what's your stance on missionaries?

The bible (John, I think) says that we should try to reach out to gentiles, but if it doesn't work than leave them be, for agitating them more won't help turn them to Christianity.

@Wonderers of the doctrine of sin

You guys seem to be confused about why wSin exists. Well, to the best of my knowledge, god didn't want a race of mindless worshipers. He created us with free will, and while he had to deal with the agony of knowing that one day the human race would commit sin, it would be softened because you know that your followers have chosen their path of their own will, not because they are forced to.

@Willfor

Thanks. Good to know someone else believes the same thing as I do.

EDIT: I've been hearing a lot lately that many Atheist believe that religion gets in the way of science. From my point of view, it looks like Atheistic scientists get in their own way falling over themselves trying to disprove christianity. Which no one has solidly managed to do, I might add. All proof against the existence of Christianity is based on the lack of evidence, not the abundance therof.

EDIT2: AAAAGGGHHH TYPOOOO
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:45:51 pm by ggamer »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: January 10, 2012, 10:40:51 pm »

From my point of view, it looks like Atheistic scientists get in their own way falling over themselves trying to disprove christianity.
This is news to me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: January 10, 2012, 10:42:38 pm »

From my point of view, it looks like Atheistic scientists get in their own way falling over themselves trying to disprove christianity.

I've never seen this. Well, maybe Dawkins, because he can come off as kind of an ass, but that's about it.

Which no one has solidly managed to do, I might add. All proof against the existence of Christianity is based on the lack of evidence, not the abundance therof.

Exactly. You don't need to disprove Christianity. Any decent actual scientist will tell you that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: January 10, 2012, 10:46:46 pm »

I've never seen this. Well, maybe Dawkins, because he can come off as kind of an ass, but that's about it.
Dawkins is just riding his popularity (or anti-popularity, among the religious) wave. He's a decent biologist, which is why The Selfish Gene got him popular in the first place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: January 10, 2012, 10:49:18 pm »

I don't think Dawkins really tries to disprove or claims to have disproved Christianity.  He goes more down the "invisible pink unicorn" or whatever route.  In any case he's gotten less strident recently (see most recent book).

Although it should probably be pointed out that your edit is kindof irrelevant to what anyone else is saying in the thread, ggamer.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:47 pm »

I don't think Dawkins really tries to disprove or claims to have disproved Christianity.  He goes more down the "invisible pink unicorn" or whatever route.  In any case he's gotten less strident recently (see most recent book).

Although it should probably be pointed out that your edit is kindof irrelevant to what anyone else is saying in the thread, ggamer.

Duely(doubly?) noted.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: January 10, 2012, 11:04:59 pm »

This is now the Chill and Relaxed Progressive Theology Thread.
Vector Industries Stamp of Approval Pending.

DENIED
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: January 10, 2012, 11:33:49 pm »

Damn. Too bad.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 852