Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260372 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2011, 11:18:10 am »

Fuck 4x4's. Fuck Hummers.

The Dead Reckoning is where it's at:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love using that picture. : D

A few more ideas that may-or-may not be usable:
-Larger central buildings, almost designed to be strongholds. In this case, the police station, local high school, or weather shelter you can use for yourself.
-Automated turrets, if they're not already in. Would obviously require a ton of experience with electronics, mechanics, and guns.
-Bicycles and horses, once you add in vehicles. Bicycles would not contribute to your overall carrying capacity, but you should be able to store some stuff on a tamed animal.
-Expanding from that, the ability to tame animals! (Like the dog that you start with). Each animal or creature would be required to be tamed in different ways, and you could even make a skill to track that. Perhaps, with a certain trait or high enough skill in taming, you could train zombies? (With a chain and a couple of pounds of rotten meat, of course. They probably wouldn't follow you around like a dog, though.)
-Banks; another idea for a possible 'stronghold' building.
-I thought it'd be cool to be able to choose your ex-profession, which determined certain skill bonuses and some starting items. For instance; an ex-mechanic might start with a few tools and a mediocre mechanical experience. A ex-police officer might start with a handgun with a bit of ammo, and firearms experience.
-The ability to build barricades outside of windows and doors. Simple enough, it'd require 5-6 two by fours and some rope, along with a few nails.
-Furniture inside the house besides wardrobes and refrigerators. Would only really serve as a visual addition to the game, until later when you can smash them up for more building material.
-Roving bands of powerful infected that appear on the map as a 'H' or something similar (for horde). If you choose to be a nomad-type character, they wouldn't be much of a threat unless you were careless enough to wander into them. If they decide to come near your stronghold, though, you'd have to hold out or abandon it.
-Swords! Maybe a really rare 'DnD Shop' or something like that would have them.
-Metal working skills, melting down certain tools to make other tools, or custom items you need for certain crazy contraptions. Would require a buildable forge and coal. (Just suggesting this because of the whole Bay12 thing.)
-And finally, large department stores infested with zombies on the map, themed around a certain type of store. (Sweetbay for groceries, Home-Depot for hardware, Walmart for general-type stores.) They'd be filled to the brim with items you otherwise couldn't get, but at a cost: They'd be filled with all matter of zombies, and you'd need a flashlight with a decent weapon to take them over.

If you ever decide to open up the blog again, you'd definitely have an avid reader-base. You'd probably attract more people to the game, as well. (I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing at this stage of development.)

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2011, 11:20:11 am »

5.) Save Private Key...,save it somewhere.
It asks me "Are you sure you want to save this key without a passphrase to protect it?" What should I do?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:22:57 am by Kicior »
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2011, 12:17:29 pm »

If you ever decide to open up the blog again, you'd definitely have an avid reader-base. You'd probably attract more people to the game, as well. (I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing at this stage of development.)

Probably a bad thing at this stage, as many would look at what it takes to run it on a Windows machine and either get frustrated or decide it's not worth the effort.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2011, 01:00:24 pm »

Well, here's my input. It took me something like 7 bags of food and two bottles of water to sate my hunger/thirst. It's just not that realistic. Also, the days are awfully long-I can walk all around town and back and still have more than enough time to spare.

Also great work on the game! When do you think the next update will be out?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:14:38 pm by x2yzh9 »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2011, 02:30:27 pm »

5.) Save Private Key...,save it somewhere.
It asks me "Are you sure you want to save this key without a passphrase to protect it?" What should I do?
Press yes :)

Yeah, I'm primarily speaking from inexperience when I talk about the food and water problem but in my experience playing other roguelikes that depend on food and water like nethack, dungeon crawl, and rogue survivor, it IS perhaps just a LITTLE fast. I would probably try and gather a survey of sorts to see what other people think about it before tweaking it.

A great idea just popped into mind since you mentioned infinitely generating landscape. Some kind of transportable carrying thing to stow spare items and the like, giving you a bit of flexibility and altering how you enter town since big moving objects would attract attention of potential friend and foe alike. If you plan on introducing vehicles, an RV or a big rig could fit this bill VERY nicely, although having it go offroad would be impossible.

I think perhaps being able to dig holes in the ground to stow away items would be viable, especially if you're living in a forest type area and you don't want random wanderers from finding and picking up your stash.

But a whole aspect of zombie survival is the food, it's like one of the most important things to consider.
If you are careful, you should have no issue surviving the hunger, there are stores and cute little animals all over!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2011, 03:26:19 pm »

So after reading more I just realized that we share this world with other players.  It hit me when I started another character and was spawned in a town that seemed to be looted pretty cleanly.  Then I found the corpse of a player named Neorn and another named DickMan. 

So what's stopping other players from going and stealing stuff from a place that you've decided to stake out as a safehouse?

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2011, 03:33:28 pm »

The hummer is a great idea for an offroad vehicle. As for the horse, it's pretty unrealistic for a couple reasons; one being that the undead hordes have probably raided farms and the like already to kill and eat all the tame horses. Two, even if some escape or you found some in the wild, their instincts will tell them to get the hell away from you from their past experience of similar two legged creatures trying to eat them.

As for the food issue, again it seems to be both an issue of going hungry too rapidly, and needing far too much food to satiate yourself as well. Maybe a bit of a slowdown would be good after all.

As for the time issue, I sort of agree that time perhaps goes just a bit too slowly, cause when you sit down and spend time reading books to bump up your morale or learn new skills, time will start flying.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2011, 03:50:05 pm »

A few more ideas that may-or-may not be usable:
-Larger central buildings, almost designed to be strongholds. In this case, the police station, local high school, or weather shelter you can use for yourself.
-Automated turrets, if they're not already in. Would obviously require a ton of experience with electronics, mechanics, and guns.
-Bicycles and horses, once you add in vehicles. Bicycles would not contribute to your overall carrying capacity, but you should be able to store some stuff on a tamed animal.
-Expanding from that, the ability to tame animals! (Like the dog that you start with). Each animal or creature would be required to be tamed in different ways, and you could even make a skill to track that. Perhaps, with a certain trait or high enough skill in taming, you could train zombies? (With a chain and a couple of pounds of rotten meat, of course. They probably wouldn't follow you around like a dog, though.)
-Banks; another idea for a possible 'stronghold' building.
-I thought it'd be cool to be able to choose your ex-profession, which determined certain skill bonuses and some starting items. For instance; an ex-mechanic might start with a few tools and a mediocre mechanical experience. A ex-police officer might start with a handgun with a bit of ammo, and firearms experience.
-The ability to build barricades outside of windows and doors. Simple enough, it'd require 5-6 two by fours and some rope, along with a few nails.
-Furniture inside the house besides wardrobes and refrigerators. Would only really serve as a visual addition to the game, until later when you can smash them up for more building material.
-Roving bands of powerful infected that appear on the map as a 'H' or something similar (for horde). If you choose to be a nomad-type character, they wouldn't be much of a threat unless you were careless enough to wander into them. If they decide to come near your stronghold, though, you'd have to hold out or abandon it.
-Swords! Maybe a really rare 'DnD Shop' or something like that would have them.
-Metal working skills, melting down certain tools to make other tools, or custom items you need for certain crazy contraptions. Would require a buildable forge and coal. (Just suggesting this because of the whole Bay12 thing.)
-And finally, large department stores infested with zombies on the map, themed around a certain type of store. (Sweetbay for groceries, Home-Depot for hardware, Walmart for general-type stores.) They'd be filled to the brim with items you otherwise couldn't get, but at a cost: They'd be filled with all matter of zombies, and you'd need a flashlight with a decent weapon to take them over.

-Police stations are half-designed.  They've got a rarely-stocked weapons cache, an "evidence room" with drugs and more weapons, and sometimes a basement with cells.  Banks and high schools are a great idea, I'll add them to my TODO.
-Turrets do exist (in certain hard-to-reach areas), but they're not craftable by players yet.  You can in fact craft your own army of manhacks, though.
-You can currently tame zombies if you craft a "pheromone ball;" study up on cooking.  The effect is temporary.  I plan to make animal taming (like dogs) possible, but I'm not sure how the player would tame the animal.  I'm pretty sure I don't want to take the nethack route of "toss food at it."
-Would you believe that I already plan to make profession a part of character creation?  I'm going to scrap the Skills tab (mostly a waste of points) and replace it with a Profession tab.  Your profession will decide your starting equipment and skills, and perhaps give you unique perks (e.g., a Priest will be respected by religious NPCs, etc)
-If you have a hammer, nail and 2x4s, you can board up windows and doors ('a' the hammer).  Building walls and shelter from scratch is planned.
-Yeah, I really need more furniture.  House in general need some spiffying up, but it's a low priority right now.
-You can rarely get a katana from an NPC.  I'll make them spawn in houses on rare occasions (sword collector, perhaps?)
-The department store idea is a good one, and ties in with my general desire to put malls in the game.  Coming soon!

The roving horde and forge ideas are intriguing, but technical issues make them unfeasible... for now.

Well, here's my input. It took me something like 7 bags of food and two bottles of water to sate my hunger/thirst. It's just not that realistic. Also, the days are awfully long-I can walk all around town and back and still have more than enough time to spare.

Also great work on the game! When do you think the next update will be out?

Realism is secondary to fun and appropriate difficulty.  That said I realize that hunger may be a *bit* too fast, but I really want to place some urgency on the player, and force them to keep moving and make food-gathering trips a daily task.
I'm overhauling morale (for the third, fourth? time) presently, and doing bugfixes as I do that, so a cleaned-up morale system will be the next major update, probably today or tomorrow.  After that I'll roll a smaller update with some of the suggestions you guys have posted.

So after reading more I just realized that we share this world with other players.  It hit me when I started another character and was spawned in a town that seemed to be looted pretty cleanly.  Then I found the corpse of a player named Neorn and another named DickMan. 

So what's stopping other players from going and stealing stuff from a place that you've decided to stake out as a safehouse?

Set traps!  Hide your things in a back closet.  Dig a big ditch all the way around your stash, fill it with wood and gasoline, and light it on fire, making a fire extinguisher necessary to enter.  Get creative, there's lots of ways to protect a given area.  I like Blackray Jack's suggestion above of being able to bury items, and plan to include it as well.

And finally, vehicles are planned for the future.  Most likely they'll be a method of quick travel (think the car from Fallout 2) and item storage.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2011, 04:20:06 pm »

I got it to compile on windows easily, but I had to comment out some sleep stuff in ranged.cpp, I assume this just does something to do with drawing the bullet and won't seriously impact gameplay?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2011, 04:21:19 pm »

So if someone is in the same vicinity as us, are we able to see them or sense them in any way?  And if they are picking up items, do those items just magically disappear?

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2011, 04:27:00 pm »

I got it to compile on windows easily, but I had to comment out some sleep stuff in ranged.cpp, I assume this just does something to do with drawing the bullet and won't seriously impact gameplay?

Getting it compiled is the easy part.

Getting it to work is another.

Mine just crashes after the gen char screen.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2011, 04:49:37 pm »

Okay, I've narrowed down the reason of crashing to generation of overmap file, if a valid one is present it will run fine. Not sure actually what it does, but here is mine if it helps:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4826080/o.0.0.0
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:06:13 pm by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2011, 04:54:37 pm »

Why didn't you put that in a spoiler, whhyyyyyy?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »

Sorry, didn't realist it was to large to copy paste into a post.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2011, 05:17:06 pm »

Looks like an encrypted/not plaintext file to me. (Sorta like if you open up a .exe file or something in a Linux text editor.)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 777