Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263164 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2011, 09:07:51 pm »

Is heatstroke supposed to continue non-stop? I put on one coat too many, and immediately got a message saying I was too hot. I stripped off the coat, but was getting repeated heatstroke messages. Even after removing almost all clothing, I continued to get it.

EDIT: Also, whenever I get confronted by an NPC who demands I drop my weapons, whenever I say no they just run away and never attack me. Even when I'm stabbing them in the eyes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:18:32 pm by Vorbicon »

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2011, 09:24:17 pm »

I hope it doesn't ever become too much like DF, I love DF but I'd hate to see this game become a multi-NPC micromanagement game, this is kind of hard to explain but I'm okay with base building as long as you just control you, any NPC help would be guided by your communication with them rather than controlling them directly. You would then have the inherent problems any leader would have, dealing with his companions quirks and personalities, having to put the bad apples in line and motivating the lazy people, some may not even listen to you all or consume more rations than you gave the OK for, so on and so fourth.

And ideally this wouldn't be split from the main "adventure mode" at all. Since you would be you and people would be themselves and the directions would be through communication, one would just have to assert leadership in the group and begin from there --- and these construction mechanics for the fort be available to the player as well, so you could do it by yourself on your own on a smaller scale or actually work along side your crew.

Either way it will be an amazing game, but this is just how I feel.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2011, 09:26:23 pm »

I hope it doesn't ever become too much like DF, I love DF but I'd hate to see this game become a multi-NPC micromanagement game, this is kind of hard to explain but I'm okay with base building as long as you just control you, any NPC help would be guided by your communication with them rather than controlling them directly. You would then have the inherent problems any leader would have, dealing with his companions quirks and personalities, having to put the bad apples in line and motivating the lazy people, some may not even listen to you all or consume more rations than you gave the OK for, so on and so fourth.

And ideally this wouldn't be split from the main "adventure mode" at all. Since you would be you and people would be themselves and the directions would be through communication, one would just have to assert leadership in the group and begin from there --- and these construction mechanics for the fort be available to the player as well, so you could do it by yourself on your own on a smaller scale or actually work along side your crew.

I agree with all of this, im not a big fan of micro managing.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

knightawesome

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGWTFBBQ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm »

How about you Could get sickness from butchering dead zombies?
Also there could be a raider or gang-like factions that fight with eachother.

Zombies + Gang wars = TEH WINZ

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2011, 09:53:27 pm »

I should clarify; the game will never become a top-down colony management game like DF.  It will always be a one-character game, with no direct control over the actions of anyone else.
By "DF-like" I mean more centered on maintaining one safe location, building defenses, etc.  Ideally this will be left up to the player; growing crops vs. foraging & hunting, building a base vs. living nomadically, etc.  Right now base construction is very limited, and there's no way to sustain resources like food, water, ammo, etc. without foraging, and that inevitably means traveling to new areas.  In the future, I'd like to bring these two playstyles into balance.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2011, 09:58:49 pm »

Which brings up my 'time needs to pass faster' point. I'm sure since this is the future crops will grow faster, but at the current rate of the game by the time the crops are fully grown literally all food and water on the map will be exhausted and most if not all hostile enemies will be killed.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2011, 09:59:36 pm »

Has anyone found any other servers besides the Erorarn one that players can connect to?  Playing without being able to save progress is really meh.  Plus I think some of the characters saved on that server now are abandoned.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2011, 10:34:10 pm »

I've noticed in the late game time passes slower when long waiting. Any idea what's up with that?

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »

I should clarify; the game will never become a top-down colony management game like DF.  It will always be a one-character game, with no direct control over the actions of anyone else.
By "DF-like" I mean more centered on maintaining one safe location, building defenses, etc.  Ideally this will be left up to the player; growing crops vs. foraging & hunting, building a base vs. living nomadically, etc.  Right now base construction is very limited, and there's no way to sustain resources like food, water, ammo, etc. without foraging, and that inevitably means traveling to new areas.  In the future, I'd like to bring these two playstyles into balance.
I see, that's great to hear! I'm even more hyped for the future now.

While I'm posting I may as well conserve space and ask, can you/will you ever incorporate graphical tiles support? I can play with the ASCII, I only ask because I'm a Pixel Artist and I do enjoy using my skills on stuff I enjoy.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2011, 10:58:11 pm »

I've noticed in the late game time passes slower when long waiting. Any idea what's up with that?

This is just the effect of more game resources making the game run slower.  This effect is particularly pronounced in areas infested with fungaloids.

While I'm posting I may as well conserve space and ask, can you/will you ever incorporate graphical tiles support? I can play with the ASCII, I only ask because I'm a Pixel Artist and I do enjoy using my skills on stuff I enjoy.

Everything's more or less set up for graphical mode to be dropped in.  Having a tileset is really the biggest obstacle to this.  I appreciate the implied offer of help, I'll let you know if I ever make any progress on this.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2011, 11:29:39 pm »

Some things I'd like to see in the next few updates are more NPCS and shop owners in NPC citys.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2011, 12:15:07 am »

Question: Did you intend for things to randomly spawn and despawn in basements? If not then we may have a bit of an issue as I went to sleep in an empty basement, woke up to a wolf running around passively and with a message telling me that I 'woke up to lights' despite waking up at 3 in the morning with no lights on in the basement!

Just a heads up for you Whales.

Edit: Also, I recommend toning down the recoil effect, it's a little silly to build up so much bad recoil by firing a small little USP. Or maybe be able to adopt a stance that will significantly reduce recoil but requires you to stand still.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:22:02 am by Blackray Jack »

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2011, 12:24:13 am »

This game is cruel. I took illiteracy and I spawned in a house surrounded by libraries filled to the brim with useful reading material.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2011, 12:29:43 am »

So if someone is in the same vicinity as us, are we able to see them or sense them in any way?  And if they are picking up items, do those items just magically disappear?

No, there's no direct player/player interaction (yet).  This can make for some funny overlaps in timelines.  Terrain is loaded when you get close to it, and saved when you leave it.  If you're in a house, and I come in and drop a bunch of stuff, and then you leave, when you leave you'll save the version you see, without my stuff in it, and that stuff will disappear forever.
Fortunately, since the world is huge, this kind of thing rarely if ever happens.

Looks like an encrypted/not plaintext file to me. (Sorta like if you open up a .exe file or something in a Linux text editor.)

No, the overmap save files (o.#.#.#) are in fact plaintext.  That huge string of characters on the first line refers to different terrain types.  Below that, the "Z 3 6 310 2 52" lines mean "A group of monsters, type 3 (3 is zombies), with radius 6 and population 310, centered at (2, 52)".  The 't' lines are locations of towns, 'R' is roads leading out of this section of map, and 'T' are the locations of radio towers.
That said, I can't tell what's wrong with this overmap!  alfie275, if you want to email me a backtrace I'd appreciate it.

Acording to alfie the reason the windows version crash is when generating the overmap.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 777