Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260296 times)

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2011, 05:58:25 pm »

Awesome, awesome game. Love the complexity and general awesomeness.

I just traveled through some subway tunnels to come out and realize it was night time already. On the way to the nearest clothing store, I found an npc who didn't want to travel, but I hired him without paying anything (bug? or just placeholder?). Holing up in a changing room, I started snoozing, but woke up from a zombie smashing down my door. I killed it, and came out to see my npc buddy, dead. After looting his corpse, I went into another changing room with the intent to last out the rest of the night when I got an infinite debug loop with another npc passing by... Here's the debug:

DEBUG: NPC Jackson Morris: target = 6, danger = 22               
  Press spacebar...

DEBUG: Jackson Morris chose action Use alternate attack.               
  Press spacebar...

DEBUG: npc::activate_item() needs to be written!               
  Press spacebar...

DEBUG: NPC didn't use its moves.  Turning on debug mode.               
  Press spacebar...

Also, shouldn't excruciating pain bring down someone's morale? More than being wet?

Plus, I noticed giant wasps in houses along the way. Ouch! At least the bee hives are on the map! Is it possible to cure poison or does it just wear off after a while?

One more question: Is it possible to burn anything with a lighter? Every time I tried the flame just went out.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2011, 06:00:13 pm »

For all of those debug messages I think to turn them off just press ~. And you can light something on fire with a lighter if it has gasoline on it, otherwise I don't think so.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2011, 06:04:00 pm »

Awesome, awesome game. Love the complexity and general awesomeness.

I just traveled through some subway tunnels to come out and realize it was night time already. On the way to the nearest clothing store, I found an npc who didn't want to travel, but I hired him without paying anything (bug? or just placeholder?). Holing up in a changing room, I started snoozing, but woke up from a zombie smashing down my door. I killed it, and came out to see my npc buddy, dead. After looting his corpse, I went into another changing room with the intent to last out the rest of the night when I got an infinite debug loop with another npc passing by... Here's the debug:

DEBUG: NPC Jackson Morris: target = 6, danger = 22               
  Press spacebar...

DEBUG: Jackson Morris chose action Use alternate attack.               
  Press spacebar...

DEBUG: npc::activate_item() needs to be written!               
  Press spacebar...

DEBUG: NPC didn't use its moves.  Turning on debug mode.               
  Press spacebar...

Also, shouldn't excruciating pain bring down someone's morale? More than being wet?

Plus, I noticed giant wasps in houses along the way. Ouch! At least the bee hives are on the map! Is it possible to cure poison or does it just wear off after a while?

One more question: Is it possible to burn anything with a lighter? Every time I tried the flame just went out.

Hmm, it seems I need to write npc::activate_item() :)  I'll get right on it!
I figured pain was enough of a drawback without throwing in morale penalties on top of it.
Giant wasps do indeed suck; they're meant as a "surprise" to throw at the player, much like roving wolf packs or
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
.  However, only 1 in 100 houses are infested with wasps... and houses infested with wasps often have a really, really valuable treasure inside.  If you think you can take them on (hint: shotgun / molotovs) it's worth a try!
Poison wears off after a while, or you can cure it with

It is possible to burn things with a lighter, but think about how you start a fire in real life.  You can't just apply a lighter to a piece of two by four; it's much easier to light a magazine or piece of paper.  Stack paper/wood items of varying sizes on a tile, and light that.  Or throw a bottle of liquor or gasoline down.

EDIT:  Those of you on Windows wanting to play locally (latest version of the game, your save files won't disappear) might want to try using cygwin, a linux emulator of sorts.  I'm not sure of the specifics here; you'd have to download the source from my github (see my signature), and get libncurses-dev installed somehow, but it should compile and work fine.  I think.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:09:53 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2011, 06:12:09 pm »

For all of those debug messages I think to turn them off just press ~. And you can light something on fire with a lighter if it has gasoline on it, otherwise I don't think so.

You can't turn them off while they are on the screen, and since it's an infinite loop of them, I can't do anything but scroll through them. I'll try the gasoline, though.

Hmm, it seems I need to write npc::activate_item() :)  I'll get right on it!
I figured pain was enough of a drawback without throwing in morale penalties on top of it.
Giant wasps do indeed suck; they're meant as a "surprise" to throw at the player, much like roving wolf packs or
.  Poison wears off after a while, or you can cure it with

It is possible to burn things with a lighter, but think about how you start a fire in real life.  You can't just apply a lighter to a piece of two by four; it's much easier to light a magazine or piece of paper.  Stack paper/wood items of varying sizes on a tile, and light that.  Or throw a bottle of liquor or gasoline down.

Well, they surprised me, so I guess that's working. :P

So with no morale penalties, I can still craft even after being struck by lightning! (Yeah, I was) Woot!

Right, thanks. :)

EDIT: Also, speaking of morale, I think the penalty for being wet is a bit much. How it is, I get depressed whenever I go out in the rain.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:55:10 pm by Ma88hew »

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2011, 06:19:21 pm »

Does anyone know how I would go about running the windows version uploaded by head?

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2011, 06:54:08 pm »

Heh, the Android powers are pretty cool. First time I took it I got some Wolverine claws, but the game crashed before I could test em out. Got an Offensive Defense System this time which has come in incredibly useful due to having nothing but a two by four to use for a weapon. The entire starting area for this character. and everything nearby, has been picked clean of everything useful. Kinda boring.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2011, 07:22:17 pm »

When you do tweak the time, can you make it so 30 turns=1 hour?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2011, 07:25:12 pm »

Also, speaking of morale, I think the penalty for being wet is a bit much. How it is, I get depressed whenever I go out in the rain.
In my experience, you can counter that quite effectively with heroin.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »

HOLY S***! DID I JUST SEE THE WORDS "ZOMBIE" and "ROGUELIKE" IN THE SAME SENTENCE?
MUSTPLAYNOW!

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2011, 07:31:15 pm »

I loved how i just threw the corpse of a zombie i just killed onto a crossbow trap to disarm it. Shows great promise
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2011, 07:46:52 pm »

Ah... My brain... I've done SSH once or twice, but I have no idea whatsoever how to do this. Anyone care to walk me through this?

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:44 pm »

Ah... My brain... I've done SSH once or twice, but I have no idea whatsoever how to do this. Anyone care to walk me through this?

Instruction in the first post, spoilered I think.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2011, 07:52:36 pm »

I don't understand that much either... :P
EDIT: Whales, why are ya against YASD? I kinda like getting killed idiotically.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2011, 08:01:48 pm »

This looks like a really good rouge like, but i can't enjoy it because i have this awful 2 second lag when i have to play it online.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2011, 08:03:08 pm »

Is there any way I can play this not connected to a server? I'd like a downloadable version so I could play while not online.
EDIT: Crap, read through the thread, looks like setting  it up is gonna be a pain in the @$$. If anyone manages to compile it, I will feed them to Cthulhu last.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:26:01 pm by Geen »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 777