Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263179 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #240 on: June 27, 2011, 08:06:49 pm »

Whoever Cyberdoc is, I stole your M249 with its pimped out silencer, barrel extension, gyroscopic stabilizer and sniper conversion. It's pretty sweet.
EDIT: And promptly lost it in the sewers to a horde of manhacks. :K
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:17:02 pm by woose1 »

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 27, 2011, 08:20:01 pm »

Is there any way I can play this not connected to a server? I'd like a downloadable version so I could play while not online.
1) get a linux
2) compile stuff from 1st post
3) ...profit?
Don't even try running it on windows. You will cut your own throat before you stabilise anything.

Cygwin might work, but I would recommend to compile game out of it (additional libs like curses in cygwin are terrible) and use cygwin only to run it. Just remember to do not open a map(m).
Any1 have any solution to those overmap segmenation faults?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:26:18 pm by lastverb »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:38 pm »

Is there any way I can play this not connected to a server? I'd like a downloadable version so I could play while not online.
1) get a linux
2) compile stuff from 1st post
3) ...profit?
Don't even try running it on windows. You will cut your own throat before you stabilise anything.
I've got linux running in a virtualbox on windows right now, that's what I'm using to play cataclysm.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 27, 2011, 08:30:50 pm »

I've got linux running in a virtualbox on windows right now, that's what I'm using to play cataclysm.
Because it's a system. It really doesn't matter if its running alone or from virtualbox, there is no difference other than terrible resource management in box.
You just remebered me a Inception meme - a system inside a system, inside a system. :D

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 27, 2011, 08:34:51 pm »

I love finding other players bodies, kinda tells a story. Once I found a dead body laying on a bed next to a smashed in window, he had a gun and alot of drugs on him. There was also some zombie corpses right outside that window. I like to imagine he was attacked by zombies, got badly injured and broke into the nearest house. He was in intense pain and took too many drugs and overdosed. Im currently in a gas station which was pre-barricaded, only two windows so this is going to be my main safehouse. I've also have gotten incrediblly paranoid recently so I butcher all zombie corpses outside my safehouse incase a necromancer comes by.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 27, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »

I loved how i just threw the corpse of a zombie i just killed onto a crossbow trap to disarm it. Shows great promise

See, I never intended that to be possible.  Not to toot my own horn, but cataclysm is full of emergent gameplay.  I've had players tell me they lined up zombie corpses in front of a building, coated them in gasoline, and used it as fuel for a wall of fire to keep the building safe for sleeping.  A similar attempt, performed in a subway tunnel, failed as the player suffocated to death on the trapped fumes.

EDIT: Whales, why are ya against YASD? I kinda like getting killed idiotically.

It's fun, but not for long.  I just want to avoid the nethack situation; where if you don't play with a wiki open, or have half the game memorized, you'll die from not knowing that purple mold is bad to eat or what to do with a cockatrice.

Any1 have any solution to those overmap segmenation faults?

If anyone running Windows can send me a backtrace, I can at least tell you what the root of the problem is, if not how to fix it!

I love finding other players bodies, kinda tells a story. Once I found a dead body laying on a bed next to a smashed in window, he had a gun and alot of drugs on him. There was also some zombie corpses right outside that window. I like to imagine he was attacked by zombies, got badly injured and broke into the nearest house. He was in intense pain and took too many drugs and overdosed. Im currently in a gas station which was pre-barricaded, only two windows so this is going to be my main safehouse. I've also have gotten incrediblly paranoid recently so I butcher all zombie corpses outside my safehouse incase a necromancer comes by.

Also fun is tracking another player but the path of destruction and empty bottles they leave, in hopes of finding & looting their body/stash.  Corpse control (would that be a good name for a metal band?) is a good idea, but you might want to go ahead and shoot those gas pumps; it's a higher risk of fire, but if lightning hits a pump, or a zombie hulk decides to punch it, there's a good chance it'll explode and you'll be trapped in a burning building.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 27, 2011, 08:46:18 pm »

Ah so thats why you included in NPC Advice the part about the guy suffocating, Genuis! Next time I play im going to focus on building a fortress in the middle of town.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 27, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »

Some YASDs are cheap, but stuff like drinking bleach or failing to insert an implant right are ok. Y'know, it's feels good in Nethack to have your RL knowledge of mythology, LOTR, or physics help you.
So, basically, I'm screwed. No windows unless I do some code stuff that I don't know how to?
EDIT: bd, why can't I stop watching your avatar?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:05:06 pm by Geen »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 27, 2011, 09:03:38 pm »

Probally because regardless of what music your listening to, Problem Sleuth has the appropriate dance for it.

Also no matter what it seems I always fail installing bionics, the highest chance i've gotten is around 75% percent. Maybe im just really unlucky.
Welcome to Reality.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:40 pm »

Godamnit! Can't....Stop... Watching.... Must.... resist.... urge to..... Dance... along....

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2011, 09:23:32 pm »

Probally because regardless of what music your listening to, Problem Sleuth has the appropriate dance for it.

Also no matter what it seems I always fail installing bionics, the highest chance i've gotten is around 75% percent. Maybe im just really unlucky.

And Pickle Inspector has the appropriate creepy stare.

I'm pretty sure you're just unlucky.  I got suspicious about bionic installation when I started succeeding frequently even with chances around 30%.  But I've vetted the code a lot and am fairly certain that the chance provided is perfectly accurate.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 27, 2011, 09:31:00 pm »

So whales, got an ETA on when the next update will be out?

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 27, 2011, 09:42:33 pm »

I got a question concerning silencers. I can attach them alright and it clearly shows the gun with the attachment, but I'm having some real difficulty judging whether or not if it's even working, and if it is how effective it is as well. As a result, I pretty much can't give you any feedback on the effectiveness and possible overpowered or underpowered properties of the silencer, but for the record I was using it on a USP 9mm.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2011, 09:55:37 pm »

I got a question concerning silencers. I can attach them alright and it clearly shows the gun with the attachment, but I'm having some real difficulty judging whether or not if it's even working, and if it is how effective it is as well. As a result, I pretty much can't give you any feedback on the effectiveness and possible overpowered or underpowered properties of the silencer, but for the record I was using it on a USP 9mm.
I suppose I can test this out. I'll make a silencer and start randomly shooting, if alot of zombies show up then it might not be working.
Welcome to Reality.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 27, 2011, 10:09:30 pm »

So whales, got an ETA on when the next update will be out?

Hmm, let me go back and see what I promised...
Scrollable list of save games, erasure of save games when loaded (permadeath!): tonight.
Min/Max prevention, no butchering with spears, craftable turrets: with any luck will be rolled tonight, maybe tomorrow.
Police stations, banks, and mines, give me a couple days.
NPC bugcatching as I go.

The sound effect of the gun you're using should change.  And try firing your gun off a whole bunch, with and without a silencer; without one you'll likely find yourself mobbed by many more zombies than with.

EDIT: Just so there's some technical background: the game stores a countdown until the next monster spawn.  The number of monsters spawned depends on the population density of monsters at your current location.  Loud noises reduce the spawn counter dramatically, depending on the volume; silencers reduce the volume of your gun by quite a bit.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:13:54 pm by Whales »

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 777