Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263314 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #405 on: June 28, 2011, 11:59:58 pm »

Alas, blobs do not work the way I thought. :(

My army is no more.

On another note, I just took out a spitter, two brutes, a boomer, three regular zombies, and 4 wasps (all basically on the screen at once) with nothing but a packful of rocks.

Didn't even have to use terrain to my advantage! (Though the wasps did manage to hurt me a bit).

Are there stronger zombie threats later on at some point?

Hmmm, maybe I need to nerf throwing ;)  There is one type of zombie tougher than a brute.  And it's really tough.  There's not too many monsters tougher than brutes, period.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 29, 2011, 12:08:56 am »

Okay, the issue is that throwing items ignores armor, unless you're throwing a knife or something and trying to pierce the monster.  The brute's minor armor is one of its bigger advantages over normal zombies (that and its speed and damage)--I'll make armor more of an issue for throwing, in the future.

And yes, Bdthemag, it is.  They are scary in pretty much every way imaginable.  But they don't show up until you're a few days into the game, and hopefully by that point you have several contingency plans and escape tools / powerful weapons.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 29, 2011, 12:26:38 am »

I know it's close to 12:30, but does anyone wanna watch me livestream this right now? Because I can.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 29, 2011, 12:30:38 am »

Maaaan I'm down!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 29, 2011, 12:30:59 am »

Sure why not, I have sleeping problems anyways.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 29, 2011, 12:31:54 am »

Alright, hop on my channel!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #411 on: June 29, 2011, 01:03:11 am »

Loving this - it's shockingly similar to the roguelike I planned out thoroughly but never started, including mental state and morale being a key factor. Difference being that Sundered Earth had no zombies or other supernatural enemies. You were just completely alone (at least until later versions introduced sporadic NPCs), and you had to deal with all the things that implied in an urban area including city fires, power outages, unforgiving weather, and the psychological implications of abandonment (which were different depending on personality and beliefs of your character)

It's similar enough that I could use parts of it to help start it up, in particular the city generation and combat are quite compatible. I'd have to learn C++ thoroughly (finally), but the bigger issue is how you'd feel about someone using parts of your code to start another game. Obviously if I followed through it would end up substantially different from what you probably have planned, but what's your stance on this?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 29, 2011, 01:08:21 am »

I got Whales to change the new Spear Crit message to "You hit the zombie in the head jamming the skull through the brain!", your all welcome.
Welcome to Reality.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 29, 2011, 01:32:38 am »

I accidentally tried to eat my pants. The game does not like that and segfaults immediately afterward.

I did it once by accident before saving. I created a new character, saved, loaded, and tried it again. It crashed as I expected it would. It also deleted my save, though.

Simple solution: don't eat your pants.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 29, 2011, 01:35:34 am »

Alright, fixed my guide, I forgot to include something really simple, giving a permission error.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 29, 2011, 01:59:05 am »

Loving this - it's shockingly similar to the roguelike I planned out thoroughly but never started, including mental state and morale being a key factor. Difference being that Sundered Earth had no zombies or other supernatural enemies. You were just completely alone (at least until later versions introduced sporadic NPCs), and you had to deal with all the things that implied in an urban area including city fires, power outages, unforgiving weather, and the psychological implications of abandonment (which were different depending on personality and beliefs of your character)

It's similar enough that I could use parts of it to help start it up, in particular the city generation and combat are quite compatible. I'd have to learn C++ thoroughly (finally), but the bigger issue is how you'd feel about someone using parts of your code to start another game. Obviously if I followed through it would end up substantially different from what you probably have planned, but what's your stance on this?

Knock yourself out!  The code is currently unliscensed, so I'm just begging to have it stolen from me; but please consider it to be GPL until I have time to toss a liscense up.  This means you can use my code however you please, so long as the project you use it in is also under the GPL--and subject to the same freedom of use.  (I realize I am sort of violating GPL by not including a copy of it with my code.  Please do not tell Richard Stallman on me.)

Your project sounds pretty cool, and I'd love to rip off your ideas brainstorm with you--drop me an email or something sometime.

I accidentally tried to eat my pants. The game does not like that and segfaults immediately afterward.

I did it once by accident before saving. I created a new character, saved, loaded, and tried it again. It crashed as I expected it would. It also deleted my save, though.

Simple solution: don't eat your pants.

Heh, on my way to fixing it.  There is actually a situation in the game where you'd want to eat pants, so.

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 29, 2011, 02:01:40 am »

Wolves should probably be changed to feral dogs except for when you are deep in a forest.
Is my avatar sexy?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 29, 2011, 03:11:13 am »

Watching this thread after skiming through it. Currently trying out the windows version. I'll list any problems I find. Minor in yellow, major in red, crashes in purple. Comments are uncolored.

--No zombie spawned in the tutorial after picking up all the items (in one turn at the same time) from the rack even though it said one spawned. But it did spawn three after wielding the uzi.
-He he lighting fire to gas. Fun. Though I feel as though the fire should show up in dark places when you don't have any lights on since it's, well, fire.
-Holy shit the fire GOES THROUGH LEVELS this game is AWESOME.
--Crash while exiting character screen and entering again on the same turn (tutorial, fire in basement). Didn't really matter since my guy was doomed by the fire he started. :P Didn't manage any error text stuff, unfortunately. (Likely related to below)
--Starting a game, a dog was IN A WALL. it has since moved out.
--Crash randomly in sporting goods (?) store. NPC was in there, randomly picking up and dropping things in piles.
(Note, I am now on a save-scummed save, after moving all files with my character's name on them.)
--Crash on Character screen after pressing Esc. (Likely related to below)
(Note, save scumming by copying the entire Save folder)
--Crash on Character screen after entering and Escaping 3 times (or more). Without fail. (Likely related to above) Character screen may have a limit before they crash, so the three times may be because I entered a few times before noticing.
--Tutorial is permanently altered. Likely after crash above.

Kinda preventing any further progress if it crashes that easily.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:17:11 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 29, 2011, 03:25:35 am »

Did you run as admin and comp mode as win95

This lowers the likelyhood of crashing.

@ is the only thing that frequently crashes for most pepole

Also the tutorial is saved.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 29, 2011, 03:35:37 am »

Did you run as admin and comp mode as win95
I am the admin so I don't think I need to run it in admin mode, and I am running it on compatibility with Win 95.

Ed: Just ran it in admin mode for the heck of it, it still crashes.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 777