Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260290 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #630 on: June 30, 2011, 10:17:56 pm »

How exactely do you think small caliber weapons should be modified then? They pack enough punch to take down a zombie, and if your really playing a firearms heavy character then you'll be using rifles by then. Its really easy to make a Silencer, just level up your mechanics a bit.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 30, 2011, 10:21:56 pm »

Eating your pants bug is fixed.

Well, Now I get the brief big picture of this game.
untill Whales fully implements refugee settlement ( the ones that show up now are severely broken.)
and fixes up npc, guns aren't a option unless you get super lucky and find smg with suppresser.
I got a shotgun and started rampaging for pure curiousity, and got swarmed by 30+ zombies.

based on my experiance, the game difficulty needs to be trimmed down.
theres too much special zombies lurking around. Hulks, Brutes, Necromancers are quite common after a day,
Boomers, spitters and fungaloids are way too common. on the other hand, fast zombies are quite rare.
spawn rate has to be balanced.

bladed weapons get stuck too often. I get stuck machete or katana everytime I hit a zombie.
unarmed needs to be buffed. an adult male doing 3 damage to other person is just gay.
in game option would be very helpful. such as, difficulty adjustment or just simply turning off debug messeges permantly.
not to mention zombies are too fast, I'm not saying zombies should be slow as f*** like in classical movies, but more like dead rising-esque.
so they are actually shaaaaaaaaaambllllliiiiing. making them just a bit more slower would be very helpful.

personally I think zombies hear and smell too well. now they are just walking corpses ofc they have rotten organs and damaged brain. 
they shouldn't be hearing/smelling so well. like in l4d, some zombies don't even notice you even you are right in the next room from them.
.22 rifle/revolver is like a peashooter irl. they do make noises but not too loud. but here, even though gun noises are calculted by their damage,
technically the weakest one still draws hell lot of attention. Last time I tried to gun down a hulk wih ak and got killed by all the green zeds drawn by it.

so either make guns quieter, or make zombies dumber/slower, or make addtitional stats to weapons i.e. loudness.

Silencers aren't very hard to craft, I recommend making that an early-game goal if you intend to use a ranged fighter.
Standing and fighting is rarely if ever a good idea.  This is not nethack or crawl; you don't want to clear out monsters.  The reward for killing a monster is rarely better than the cost of killing one.  Shotguns are best when you stay on the move, and use them sparingly; use a shotgun to melee until you're in a "oh shit" situation, then blast away.

Fast zombies are in fact more common than spitters, and as common as boomers.  Yes, the difficulty ramps up quickly, but so should your collection of tools.

Bladed weapons do get stuck a lot, I admit--I am still tweaking this mechanic.

Have you ever tried to punch someone to death?  Neither have I, but unless you're a trained boxer I gather that it is rather difficult.  If anything, 3 damage is being generous.  Once you have some levels in unarmed combat, you will do much more damage.

These aren't shambling zombies, they are stumbling zombies.  They are in pretty good shape and able to move at a fast walking pace.  A normal zombie moves at 70% of a normal player's speed; even if you are rather injured, that's a pretty big window.  And remember, there are lots of ways to boost your speed.

.22 rifles and handguns do not make enough noise to attract more zombies.  They may alert nearby zombies to your presence, but that is all.

Let me say this on the subject of difficulty: roguelikes are, generally speaking, hard.  They're hardcore games for hardcore players, and most of them are pretty unforgiving.  Doing well at a roguelike--surviving for a long time--generally means getting familiar with the game, and the particulars of its strategy.  When I started play Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, a popular dungeon-dive roguelike, I rarely survived past the first few levels, and it stayed like that for quite a long time.  Now when I play crawl, a year or two later, I rarely die before making it through half or 2/3rds of the game.
Cataclysm is similar.  It's brutally unforgiving, and generally very difficult.  There's a lot of nuances to learn--melee tactics, ranged tactics, what's good to craft, where to find the best supplies, etc.  But you will get better and better.  I rarely die in Cataclysm.  Yes, I realize I wrote the game and am obviously an expert on it in every way, but the point is that it's possible for Cataclysm to be very, very easy.  I know others who found it incredibly difficult at first, but are now complaining that the game's too easy.
If you're frustrated with Cataclysm for being too difficult, look carefully at why you're dying.  Is there some tactic that doesn't work well?  Are you not fleeing when given the opportunity?  Are you neglecting to carry certain items?  Think about these things carefully, and you'll find yourself living longer and longer lives.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 30, 2011, 10:25:10 pm »

I'm not frustrated, and thank's for answering me in a .. rather gentle manner then the guy above.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:47:34 pm by BoomClap »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 30, 2011, 10:26:15 pm »

I'm not frustrated, and thank's for answering me in a .. rather gentle manner then the guy above.

now I should avoid using the term gay. what about fag. would that word be okay?
Doing stuff like this will get ya banned you know. The fact that your using these words mean you might be young, or just really imature. Like really, you'll get banned really fast if you continue doing this.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 30, 2011, 10:29:44 pm »

How about you just don't just adjectives like that at all. Instead, try, I feel this is a poor mechanic.

As for unarmed, yes. Unless your grappling, and grabbing a zombie tends to be a bad idea, you aren't going to have an easy time killing someone with your bare hands. In fact, untrained, you're rather likely to break your wrist or knuckles if you hit wrong or strike the wrong place. Now, if you can get some brass knuckles or a sap glove or steel toed boots, things change, but its still not smart to punch something to death.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 30, 2011, 10:30:47 pm »

Doing stuff like this will get ya banned you know. The fact that your using these words mean you might be young, or just really imature. Like really, you'll get banned really fast if you continue doing this.

alright. alright. now if you excuse me I'll go play my unrealistic call of duty games and wave my 'god damned' fists menacingly to my enemys.
You need to mind your own words before lecturing other guys around mate.

edit: so does wearing a steeltoed boots actually helps going unarmed?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:32:44 pm by BoomClap »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 30, 2011, 10:32:04 pm »

alright. alright. now if you excuse me I'll go play my unrealistic call of duty games and wave my 'god damned' fists menacingly to my enemys.
You need to mind your own words before lecturing other guys around mate.
I wasn't lecturing you in an unkind why, I was simply telling you what I thought about those idea. But anyway's see ya later then :D
Welcome to Reality.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 30, 2011, 10:37:39 pm »

Okay, yep yep calm down guys. :P

In other news, I managed to make a nail board, and found a buggy human settlement, and am in the process of burning it down. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 30, 2011, 10:43:08 pm »

BoomClap, you want to edit that out NOW or else your going to get very banned very quick. You should probably make an apology too

English is much like other languages-Don't insult a spaniard or spanish-speaking person in spanish, hell don't insult people period. It can get you in trouble in real life, and it can get you in trouble here too.

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 30, 2011, 10:47:18 pm »

I apologize.
I just gave out what I honestly felt playing the game, and that guy, 'gave his ideas' on my post rather harsh way,
so.. I did what I did. only difference between him and me is that. I am wrong in some details and,
oh yeah my poor, poor choice of words. But guys, there are some thing that can make men crazy.
it was the word gay for that guy, and it was the Call of Duty shit to me. so I hope you'd all understand.

edit: yeaaaaah I was revieing my posts, and trying to insult him was a stunningly bad idea
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:52:49 pm by BoomClap »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 30, 2011, 10:59:09 pm »

Fast zombies are in fact more common than spitters, and as common as boomers.  Yes, the difficulty ramps up quickly, but so should your collection of tools.
I've only seen a couple of fast zombies. I find by day three or so, hulks are the most common (after normal and skeletons, of course), then boomers and spitters, and I almost never see the fast type. Maybe just luck?

Let me say this on the subject of difficulty: roguelikes are, generally speaking, hard.
I actually wouldn't mind a way to ramp up the difficulty... I've yet to die, and have only lost characters from glitches so far. Of course, I haven't tried the lab yet, and I heard those are pretty hard, so I guess I'll go check that out now, eh? ^_^

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #641 on: June 30, 2011, 11:18:15 pm »

Yeah, really, the only time I've died was with obviously stupid builds, like my unarmed illiterate vegetarian savant. To be fair though most of the time I was just "killed" by crashes ;)

Man, I forgot how much of a pain in the ass setting up Cygwin could be if something goes wrong. It seems it really, really doesn't like my ext3 shared drive :( Oh well, I use Windows too much anyway. Time to dust off Ubuntu.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 01, 2011, 12:02:17 am »

Messing about with tiddly spot for a wiki/info source.
barely done anything to it so far.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #643 on: July 01, 2011, 12:10:05 am »

Let me say this on the subject of difficulty: roguelikes are, generally speaking, hard.  They're hardcore games for hardcore players, and most of them are pretty unforgiving. 

I think this is what sucks about roguelikes in general. Its like some guy a long time ago sucked at making a game balanced (read: rogue and nethack), it caught on, and people have been aping that crap for years now. It seems to me making it overly hard for "hardcore" gamers (as if they are better or more discerning than the other rabble who like to have FUN) is just a excuse to ignore things like balance, progressive difficulty and other things that ramp the challenge up.

ok, END:RANT huff huff huff...deeeep breath...

Sometimes I like to play Crawl, but i refer DoomRL because its less stupid hard.

P.S. I havent played this game yet, no criticism intended toward it or the developer who's quote I used as my soapbox.
I got nothing

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 01, 2011, 12:20:51 am »

Well I think one of the main problems with games these day's is that they're kind of a cakewalk. I mean when do you really get stuck on levels for a long time anymore? But yeah I suppose Roguelikes are pretty hard, I keep going back to play Nethack and I die pretty fast.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 777