Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263594 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #765 on: July 02, 2011, 12:27:17 am »

The "Fast Travel" is actually just for testing to game, he'll take it out sooner or later.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 02, 2011, 12:32:36 am »

This has got to be one of the fastest-growing threads in this forum. I see it as a good thing, grats Whales on making such an awesome game!

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 02, 2011, 12:33:09 am »

Why do windows have no curtains?  :-[
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 02, 2011, 12:34:57 am »

Its set in the future man, in the future curtains are regarded as useless.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 02, 2011, 12:38:25 am »

When one can get infrared bionics... one can see through walls. No use for curtains.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 02, 2011, 12:54:45 am »

Heh, Zebulon, regarding your encounter with "Mark:"
NPCs will demand you drop your weapon if they think that you'll respond to their threat.  If you stay still, they'll proceed to move towards you and take your stuff, then flee.  If you refuse to drop your weapon, then they'll either attack you if they think they can take you, or they were bluffing and they'llturn and run.  RIght now, the latter happens way too often--I need to close the gap between "brave enough to threaten you" and "brave enough to fight you."  Also, NPCs suck at fleeing. :P

Since so many people have commented on zombie range, I went ahead and reduced it.  Shocker zombies will launch lightning at you from 12 tiles away or less, and spitters will launch acid from 10 tiles away or less.

I'm interested in making furniture moveable, but I'm not sure what the interface would be.  Would it go into your inventory temporarily?  Would you "drag" it along behind you on the map?

In the year 2039... curtains were deemed illegal by the US government.
Also, they're a neat idea and would make hiding easier for sure, but would also be hard to represent and would be an interface issue.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 02, 2011, 12:57:03 am »

Whales, for furniture it could be something like "Press x to move objects" after pressing it then you'd select an object then the direction to push it. If you don't have a high enough strength then it could say something like "Your not strong enough to push this!"
Welcome to Reality.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 02, 2011, 01:04:58 am »

Whales, for furniture it could be something like "Press x to move objects" after pressing it then you'd select an object then the direction to push it. If you don't have a high enough strength then it could say something like "Your not strong enough to push this!"
It should take longer if you don't have enough strength, but I don't think it should be impossible. Bonuses for things like crowbars or rope too.

Thank you for the range reduce. I just had a shocker zombie snipe my safe hole while I was bashing in the heads of various bear trapped normal zombies, filling it with electricity and killing me. Was fun though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 02, 2011, 01:28:05 am »

Yeah, probably something like walking up to an object and choosing to push/pull it, if you push it, you and it will move forward and reverse for pull.

I'd also just combine the two ideas, I think lower strength should do it slower but I think some things should be impossible unless your somewhat strong.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 02, 2011, 02:04:38 am »

I'm interested in making furniture moveable, but I'm not sure what the interface would be.  Would it go into your inventory temporarily?  Would you "drag" it along behind you on the map?

Why not go for what Rouge survivor did? You push them and they never go into the inventory.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 02, 2011, 02:11:40 am »

I managed to fix the "Needing to delete the config file every time" problem by erasing everything in it via text editor.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 02, 2011, 02:15:37 am »

Okay, for now I'm assigning D to Drag furniture.  While dragging furniture, it will move the same as you do, maintaining its spatial relationship to you; so if there's a dresser to the NE of me, and I drag it south and then east, it will still be one tile to the NE of me when I finish.

One issue here is that, unlike real life, simply putting a dresser in front of a door won't block it fully, as a monster can move diagonally out of the doorway.  I don't want to take the nethack route of forbidding diagonal movement from a doorway.  I'll be putting more furniture in houses--chairs and tables, mostly--so it will be possible to build a full barricade.  Also, zombies are stupid, and even if you only have one piece of furniture in place, there's a good chance a zombie will try to smash through it, rather than simply walk around.

What's all this config file business?  Head, did you write this?
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 02, 2011, 02:19:03 am »

When is the next content update coming out? I can't wait!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 02, 2011, 02:23:15 am »

Whales if I may make another suggestion to the D command? Can it be possible to drag around heavy objects with it too? I like keeping a safehouse and sometimes zombies walk in. I'd like to be able to move the bodys outside.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 02, 2011, 02:27:54 am »

Butcher all zombie corpses. Eventually, you'll be able to get clean meat from butchering them, and then you can survive indefinitely.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 777