Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260275 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #780 on: July 02, 2011, 02:33:40 am »

Butcher all zombie corpses. Eventually, you'll be able to get clean meat from butchering them, and then you can survive indefinitely.
Zombies give off tainted meat, which can kill you. So its generally not a good idea to butcher them.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 02, 2011, 02:37:05 am »

Butchering even zombies gives butcher skill, and evidently a high enough butcher level means you can get clean meat from zombies. Plus it gets rid of corpses that the Necromancers can revive.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 02, 2011, 02:39:40 am »

Butchering anything increases butchering skill, and eventually you can get "good" chunks of meat.
There's still the issue of cannibalism though.

Edit: Faster Post no Jutsu!

I found a canister that gave me built-in-tools, and I can't use the built-in hammer to board up windows. And I keep getting debug errors whenever I "eat" stuff to refill my batteries.

Also, the Electromagnetic unit just crashes the game for me.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 02, 2011, 02:40:13 am »

So... You can get clean meat where no clean meat exists?

I don't know about you Beorn but I personally think that should be removed. It's too "Gamey".
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 02, 2011, 02:42:20 am »

Yeah, I don't like the idea of somehow purifying zombie meat, especially since that basically obviates the need for food.
Shoes...

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 02, 2011, 02:47:13 am »

Butchering even zombies gives butcher skill, and evidently a high enough butcher level means you can get clean meat from zombies. Plus it gets rid of corpses that the Necromancers can revive.

Point on the "cleaning" good meat from otherwise toxic corpses, I'll go ahead and remove that.
I'm gonna make Necromancers revive chunks of meat in some kind of Fantasia Sorceror's Apprentice nightmare scenario, just out of spite.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whales if I may make another suggestion to the D command? Can it be possible to drag around heavy objects with it too? I like keeping a safehouse and sometimes zombies walk in. I'd like to be able to move the bodys outside.

Sure, though most likely it won't be any faster than simply carrying the body out.  Speaking of which, what's the consensus on requiring the player to put their weapon away before dragging?

When is the next content update coming out? I can't wait!

When it's done!  Probably tomorrow some time.  I've been busy with real life lately, so production's slowing down a little bit.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 02, 2011, 02:48:36 am »

Eh, there's lots of precedent for cutting around the poison to make clean meat. Look at Fugu. Plus, it takes a REALLY high level butchery skill. I need to set up a corpse factory and see what happens. It might be too easy for food.

Heh, I almost like the idea of making chunks of meat get revived. Force us to create a pile of corpses and torch em rather then just cutting them up.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 02, 2011, 02:52:55 am »

Flesh Golems? Flesh Horrors? Abominations? More cuts in one place could mean stronger enemies.

Also, I think the difference between Fugu and Zombies are that zombies are pretty much completely rotten, not just poisonous in certain areas. Thought I suppose it depends on whether they're zombies via magic, parasite, or rabies-esque disease.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:54:38 am by Blaze »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 02, 2011, 02:56:20 am »

Yeah, I was pretty much thinking of a fugu situation when I came up with that mechanic, but of course it doesn't make too much sense when applied to zombies.  I might revive the concept in the future, with two levels of inedible corpses--those with salvagable parts, and those that are 100% inedible.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 02, 2011, 02:57:33 am »

Spoiler: Zombie meat (click to show/hide)

Also I got a minor question about encumbrance. What exactly does negative encumbrance do? I know the sneakers (Weird for me from a barefooter perspective... I find those restricting!) and skirt give -1 if they're all you have in those areas. But does it do anything?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 02, 2011, 03:01:32 am »

Sneakers reduce encumbrance of the feet because it is HARD to run without shoes on. Considering the variety of places and encounters you go through, such as through broken windows, booking down streets, through underbrush, over wrecked cars, you need foot protection. Skirts, I'm not sure about.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 02, 2011, 03:02:49 am »

I'm pretty sure negative encumbrance makes you faster; I think negative torso encumbrance would give melee/dodging bonuses too.

Also, how do I make use of the "Ethanol Burner" Bionic? Do I just drink the booze?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 02, 2011, 03:07:54 am »

I'm pretty sure negative encumbrance makes you faster; I think negative torso encumbrance would give melee/dodging bonuses too.

Also, how do I make use of the "Ethanol Burner" Bionic? Do I just drink the booze?
Yup.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

knightawesome

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGWTFBBQ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 02, 2011, 03:16:25 am »

I would like there to be some sort of Quick travel like in DF adventure mode, Time keeps going and you can still get attacked by zombies.

I remember a few games ago i found this bug-like armour but it crashed later. :'(

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 02, 2011, 03:22:56 am »

Spoiler: Zombie meat (click to show/hide)

Also I got a minor question about encumbrance. What exactly does negative encumbrance do? I know the sneakers (Weird for me from a barefooter perspective... I find those restricting!) and skirt give -1 if they're all you have in those areas. But does it do anything?

The are other poisonous creatures in the game, and the fugu thing was with them in mind.

If you check the @ screen, you will get precise information on what encumbrance does--hard numbers on what they make slower, and what skills they affect.  Sneakers make standard movement cost 5 less action points (so 95 rather than 100); a skirt makes movement cost 3 less action points, makes swimming cost 50 less (this is a bug--thanks for making me notice it), and gives you the equivalent of an extra half-point in dodge skill.

Currently, your feet and your legs are the only places where it's possible to have negative encumbrance.

I'm not sure if it's specifically noted anywhere, but going barefoot actually dramatically increases the cost of running.  I'll try to make that more transparent to the player.

Drink up.  Yes, you will probably turn into an alcoholic if you rely on this a lot.  But to make up for it, alcohol gives you a lot of power, and is relatively abundant.

I would like there to be some sort of Quick travel like in DF adventure mode, Time keeps going and you can still get attacked by zombies.

I remember a few games ago i found this bug-like armour but it crashed later. :'(

I'll be turning the long-range teleportation cheat playtesting tool into a quick travel tool, once I come up with some good algorithms to determine when monsters interrupt your travel--I don't want quick travel to have an edge over normal travel (or vice versa) in terms of safety.

Regarding the bug armor:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 777