Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263492 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1710 on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:00 pm »

Bay12Games: Where the answer to every indy game query is "just look through the source files!"

We're not all CS Students, guys.

https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm/blob/master/pldata.h

Yeah cuz, you need a PhD and a BsC and an advanced degree in rocket science to, I dunno... read.

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 15, 2011, 11:16:15 pm »

6) Last on the list, which may be a surprise to some, is firearms. It is not useful to fire at a zombie and get swarmed by a horde. They take up a lot of space and require ammo. They don't use the strength skill. The only situation I might have needed a firearm were the turrets in the science lab. Otherwise I just use them for fun. I imagine they might be useful with skills high, but you have to grind through a lot of ammo and spawned zombies to get there.

I can tell that you have never used a crossbow before.
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: July 15, 2011, 11:17:44 pm »

Silenced pistols are pretty excellent for anyone too, even if you don't kill the zombie, it's nice to only need to whack them once to take them down.
*Hugs*

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 15, 2011, 11:18:23 pm »

How to make nail board traps?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: July 15, 2011, 11:19:01 pm »

6) Last on the list, which may be a surprise to some, is firearms. It is not useful to fire at a zombie and get swarmed by a horde. They take up a lot of space and require ammo. They don't use the strength skill. The only situation I might have needed a firearm were the turrets in the science lab. Otherwise I just use them for fun. I imagine they might be useful with skills high, but you have to grind through a lot of ammo and spawned zombies to get there.

silencer on a no-recoil SIG handgun (don't remember the name)  with .22 LS ammo (i think). it pwns everything until you make a reckless mistake

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 15, 2011, 11:20:03 pm »

I think you need a certain level of mechanical skill to craft the trap, then you (a)pply it
*Hugs*

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 15, 2011, 11:27:55 pm »

silencer on a no-recoil SIG handgun (don't remember the name)  with .22 LS ammo (i think). it pwns everything until you make a reckless mistake

I meant that crossbows use strength (only to shorten reload times though) and that ammo for them isn't a problem because you can pick it back up where it landed and for another reason that's a spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 15, 2011, 11:49:39 pm »

I meant that crossbows use strength (only to shorten reload times though) and that ammo for them isn't a problem because you can pick it back up where it landed and for another reason that's a spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That search order is for the starting house. I have never found a crossbow in a starting house, or a silencer.

Pickyness aside, I actually forgot about crossbows.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 16, 2011, 12:00:07 am »

Silenced Marlin E with .22 LR. Amazingly powerful, VERY accurate at 95 accuracy, and ammo comes in batches of 100. Need something with umph though to take care of armored foes, though it makes a great way to train against turrets if you can find a safe spot.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 16, 2011, 12:57:25 am »

I just walked into a house with paper walls set everywhere.  What is this a reference to?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1720 on: July 16, 2011, 01:07:50 am »

I just walked into a house with paper walls set everywhere.  What is this a reference to?

That was a house colonized by giant wasps.

Suggestion: There should be a massive carpload of traits that determine what makes you happy/sad. For example, some characters might enjoy reading those boring technical books, or get a morale boost whenever they improve a skill. Or they might just have a "favorite food" or something.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 16, 2011, 01:11:22 am »

get out. run. run. don't stop until you're at least 3 blocks away.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1722 on: July 16, 2011, 01:18:15 am »

Does anyone use the crafting? The only time I use it is when I can't find a good melee weapon so I make a spear. The pipe bombs and grenades and stuff look useful, though.

Another suggestion: You should be able to use stuff in any of the squares you can get items from as though you had it in your inventory when crafting.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:20:12 am by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 16, 2011, 01:19:25 am »

Yes, since with a high science you can make some of the CBM's. And alot of other useful stuff.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 16, 2011, 01:22:35 am »

That was a house colonized by giant wasps.

Suggestion: There should be a massive carpload of traits that determine what makes you happy/sad. For example, some characters might enjoy reading those boring technical books, or get a morale boost whenever they improve a skill. Or they might just have a "favorite food" or something.
Possibly later, but then you get into real min maxing. "Alright, I'll just hate every form of food out there except cooked meat, take animal empathy and a point of butchering, and look, lots of extra points."

@Angle: Molotovs are incredibly useful. As for the rest, cooking meat is also good, and some of the traps are excellent. Being able to place and remove bear traps is incredibly useful. Crossbow traps too, though less so. Better to find a crossbow trap grouping and lure zombies through to get easy crossbows.

Second ninja edit: BD, only CBM you can make at the moment are batteries, which are useful, but not excessively so.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 777