Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263081 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2715 on: July 22, 2011, 11:41:37 pm »

For the weather, someone was talking about maybe having the seasons be destabilized? I think that makes sense. That way, you could have thirty day seasons without massive hand-waving. Heck, you could do all sorts of crazy things! Imagine all of a sudden it just gets crazy cold for a week. The snow comes down so hard and so fast, it covers the houses.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: July 22, 2011, 11:46:40 pm »

For the weather, someone was talking about maybe having the seasons be destabilized? I think that makes sense. That way, you could have thirty day seasons without massive hand-waving. Heck, you could do all sorts of crazy things! Imagine all of a sudden it just gets crazy cold for a week. The snow comes down so hard and so fast, it covers the houses.

This

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: July 23, 2011, 12:00:59 am »

I like the idea of short seasons brought on by the nuclear apocolypse. In which case, wildly fluctuating would be an option, though I can see that getting pretty aggravating after a while.  On a lighter note,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:05:21 am by jc6036 »

47 45 45 4b 20 21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: July 23, 2011, 12:01:28 am »

Does anyone know why Cataclysm crash when i try to launch a nuke? I am using latest windows version .

Sir Moops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: July 23, 2011, 12:21:12 am »

Hey I have found this device on a dead scientist that launches shimmering portals all around but they don't seem to do anything. What are they supposed to do?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: July 23, 2011, 12:22:00 am »

Hey I have found this device on a dead scientist that launches shimmering portals all around but they don't seem to do anything. What are they supposed to do?
Its unimplemented, but I believe its suppose to launch a portal to some unkown, slightly lovecraftian, alternate dimension.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: July 23, 2011, 12:27:16 am »

- Removed knowledge of local terrain at beginning

Why? The way I see the beginning of a new game is you've lived in the area your whole life and your home is running low on supplies so you must go out and find more (hence the mostly-empty shelves in the basement of most starting houses). Do you really know nothing about the town you live in?

I'm working off the idea that you fled into the area after escaping the hordes of the undead and just ran into the first unlocked house you came across. You have no idea where you are and the area has already been pretty well looted. That's where the player comes in to do some a-sploring :)!

And also dying... Lots of dying...

Mod name: Cruel World
Tagline: Here's how you died

Note: If you can survive longer than a couple of hours I salute you. I think my current record stands at like 15-20 minutes. (in-game minutes).
I like your changes. You know that I like hardcore mods :). I am going to be more softcore in my mod. In the future I want to add a bit of 50-60th feel and change most zombies to mutants. You probably know what it means, another Wasteland-style mod :P.

But in this case I finally get an awesome game to build upon. A future where most people died/mutated will still probably have lots of grass and forests and wildlife, just different, so it should provide an unique feel amongst the forests, swamps and abandoned houses. I always liked Fallout's backstory and feel, but the "desert everywhere" was a bit stupid (still liked it very much though hehe).

By the way, zombie dogs were my first idea too, but Lab notes say something against it. Nonetheless, I will go with my own "total conversion", but I hope that my additions will help the main game in some way!

2 Whales:
 I think there should be flour, sugar, salt and yeast in bags amongst other food. It should be almost worthless as a food, but very useful for cooking. Salt will be pretty awful to eat (dehydration etc), sugar would be a light stimulant. Also it will make "edible food" less frequent and it will make the cooking skill much more important.

Moreover, the 1-5 difficulty in crafting means that 10+ skills are useless in crafts, so I will try to come up with a crafting table :).

By the way, what does the "healthy" value of a food affect? How different is -8 from 0 or from 2?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:29:31 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: July 23, 2011, 12:51:24 am »

"Healthy" is meant to affect your resistance to ambient diseases like colds and the flu.  It's pretty much unimplemented right now.

13thronin, I like the sounds of your mod--kind of a brutal run'n'gun conversion.  I'm excited to play it!  I had a fun run the other night; armed with a modded Saiga-12 and a USP 9mm sidearm, I went Rambo, slew dozens of zombies and raided a half-dozen bank vaults before running out of ammo and succumbing to the never-ending horde that my noisy habits brought upon me.  Would've been even more fun with your mod!

Just how broken are NPCs exactly ? Seems like an awfully significant part of the game locked out without making the 'fix' absolute top priority in development time.
Well NPC's would spam you with error messages, use all of the drug's they have when confronting monsters, pick up any loot near them, not attack you when you attack them. They are pretty broken.

Seems like a damn good time for that K.I.S.S. philosophy then.

Hide error messages, disable consumable usage, unteach picking up items etc. then work forward from what's left.

Right?  This is my fourth rewrite of NPCs, you'd think I would've learned my lesson by now.  I think I will scale them back and try for simpler behavior… starting with "no dropping items," the source (I believe) of most bugs.  Hiding error messages is fine... once their behavior is fairly stable.  Until then, it's a useful indicator of when things are wrong.

I just killed a robot with a fetus.
F*CK YEAH!

Is it time for whales to have his obligatory 'what have I done' moment already ?

Come on people, fetuses are meant to be EATEN, not used as weapons!  What's wrong with you?!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: July 23, 2011, 01:17:33 am »

I just killed a robot with a fetus.
F*CK YEAH!

Is it time for whales to have his obligatory 'what have I done' moment already ?

Come on people, fetuses are meant to be EATEN, not used as weapons!  What's wrong with you?!

So siggable. I would add it to my sig, but I'm kind of attached to the current one and don't have space for it.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: July 23, 2011, 02:32:55 am »

That sig shall be mine!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: July 23, 2011, 03:41:59 am »

If the game world is so big, why do all my guys keep spawning in the same town? It's getting annoying to spawn in the same exact spot for the 3rd time.

What file do i have to delete to get the game to generate a new map?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: July 23, 2011, 03:43:08 am »

If the game world is so big, why do all my guys keep spawning in the same town? It's getting annoying to spawn in the same exact spot for the 3rd time.

What file do i have to delete to get the game to generate a new map?

Sometimes it just seems to happen, I'm not entirely sure why!  Remove the contents of the "save" directory to generate a new map.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: July 23, 2011, 05:51:59 am »

sugar would be a light stimulant
I'm pretty sure some medical research once proved that sugar in itself is not really a stimulant.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: July 23, 2011, 06:05:23 am »

sugar would be a light stimulant
I'm pretty sure some medical research once proved that sugar in itself is not really a stimulant.

This is correct, one ought not to classify sugar as such. Sugar just makes your body chemistry  go ' awesome yippy so much fuel lets go to town and craft shit we don't really need lest the mook pisses it all away quick men move !'

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: July 23, 2011, 06:21:13 am »

I am unable to compile head's sdl project. Does anybody manage to do it?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 777