Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263225 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #3390 on: July 27, 2011, 08:16:48 pm »

Is it possible to do any modding if all you have is the Windows build?  Or do I have to get the Linux source and open it with an emulator?

You can get the Head's SDL source which is easy to compile for the windows.

1) Get the source here: https://github.com/Headswe/Cataclysm
2) How to compile: http://cataclysmff.zxq.net/SMF/index.php?topic=6.0
3) ?
4) Profit.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: July 27, 2011, 08:21:19 pm »

Whales' project is what I wanted of a game! Since I cannot learn enough coding and game design due to my little son and wife to write my own game, I have to make mods. And I love to make mods more than to play games :P. The Cataclysm is a dream come true for me.
Exactly. I was looking for a game like this. I was really excited about Serial Killer Roguelike and when I found out it was fake I gave up and played mindless fps games for sometime and then, I discovered Cataclysm... And it changed my life...

Forever...

Nah just kidding but it's really fun :D

By the way what about fire stations, military bases and huge malls with 2-3 floors?
Oh and what about Auto Repair shops where you can find tools?
Oh and churches maybe?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:24:35 pm by Leatra »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: July 27, 2011, 08:25:49 pm »

Deon's little mod V12.

- New locations - playground, basketball court, bar.
- New terrain - badlands (with litter and junk piles).
- New army gear (spectra vest, military gas mask, ballistic goggles).
- New gun mods (a scope for rifles and L.A.M. for everything, to increase accuracy).
- Craftable light jacket, new craftable armored clothing (padded light jacket, armored light jacket, armored utility vest).
- Army helmet is renamed to combat helmet and gets protective glasses (environment protection).
- Gun names now contain the gun type and ammo.
- 17 new food items, including ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, weird fruit, raw potato, baked potato, scrambled egg, bread, fruit pie, pizza, dinner, broth, soup, tomato juice, apple juice, peach juice, grape juice).
- New cooking recipes, which make cooking become a more useful skill, especially because now flour, sugar and salt take place of some previously edible food.
- New recipe for a superglue (weird fruit + ammonia, requires no skill and 1 unit of hotplate).
- Tweaks to cooking times.
- Sledgehammers appear in more places.
- Zombies do significally more melee damage.
- New blind zombie (zombie banshee).
- Zombie hulks are slowed to 105 speed but get more health. They also spawn later in the game.
- Season changed to summer, less painful acid rain.
- Juices are fun to drink; you can craft orange, apple and tomato juices.

The armored clothing is designed by Cacophony.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gk7qnd97nwsjucf
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: July 27, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »

Seriously Deon, what you are doing now is a variant or a branch, not a mod xD
You are underselling yourself saying it's just a mod.
It's just the lexical nazi inside me, and in case the cultural barrier doesn't make it clear it's a compliment.
EDIT: I suggest you read about the story of Angband and its variants whenever you are bored, it features a lot of simple mods that became games on its own right.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:29:04 pm by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: July 27, 2011, 08:28:27 pm »

What is the difference between a gas mask and a military one?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: July 27, 2011, 08:30:47 pm »

Honestly, when I learned that the SK roguelike was a hoax I began searching for a legitimant project. Apparently there is somebody working on one, and on his blog I saw  mention of dwarf fortress, and thus I was thrust into the insanity that is bay 12, and I loved it. Oh, and for something on topic, (insert shameless begging for pawn shops and malls)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: July 27, 2011, 08:32:33 pm »

What is the difference between a gas mask and a military one?
It's a bit more comfortable (3 encumbrance instead of 4) and it protects against damage much better, as well as provides just a bit more enviromental protection.

Seriously Deon, what you are doing now is a variant or a branch, not a mod xD
You are underselling yourself saying it's just a mod.
It's just the lexical nazi inside me, and in case the cultural barrier doesn't make it clear it's a compliment.
EDIT: I suggest you read about the story of Angband and its variants whenever you are bored, it features a lot of simple mods that became games on its own right.
I know what you mean, but I'm still a modder because I didn't contribute much to the actual code, all I did... Well, I guess I've used existing templates.

Whales: If you want to merge something from my mod, the easiest way to find my added code is to get Head's current code and my mod; after that launch Winmerge or a similar utility and look at the added code.

Whales' project is what I wanted of a game! Since I cannot learn enough coding and game design due to my little son and wife to write my own game, I have to make mods. And I love to make mods more than to play games :P. The Cataclysm is a dream come true for me.
Exactly. I was looking for a game like this. I was really excited about Serial Killer Roguelike and when I found out it was fake I gave up and played mindless fps games for sometime and then, I discovered Cataclysm... And it changed my life...

Forever...

Nah just kidding but it's really fun :D

By the way what about fire stations, military bases and huge malls with 2-3 floors?
Oh and what about Auto Repair shops where you can find tools?
Oh and churches maybe?
Fire stations were in my head since I've seen the first police station. They will be in, I promise :). Multi-floor buildings are not likely to happen soon due to the engine, but maybe in future they will appear.

The churches and graveyards are planned too once I figure out how to force the mapgen to spawn them properly (a bit away from the main town locations).

P.S. Of course pawn shops sound sweet. :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:34:31 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: July 27, 2011, 08:36:28 pm »

Whales: If you want to merge something from my mod, the easiest way to find my added code is to get Head's current code and my mod; after that launch Winmerge or a similar utility and look at the added code.

I was planing on getting your mod, and just grepping out Deon or DLC into a changes.txt file and going through them individually, merging in the ones that fit with the central themes and gameplay elements of the game.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: July 27, 2011, 08:37:12 pm »

DLC? You are making a DLC out of my mod? Oh man :D. You definitely like Bethesda.

P.S. I plan to remove Badlands alltogether. And once I figure out how to spawn distant buildings properly I will make junkyards with the same function.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:38:45 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: July 27, 2011, 08:38:19 pm »

I was planing on getting your mod, and just grepping out Deon or DLC into a changes.txt file and going through them individually, merging in the ones that fit with the central themes and gameplay elements of the game.

I was hoping this would happen.  I'm not really on board with the "THE GAME CAN NEVER BE HARD ENOUGH" ethos, but stuff like the cooking additions and new locations are great, so be sure to tell what you're taking in.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: July 27, 2011, 08:38:50 pm »

Honestly, when I learned that the SK roguelike was a hoax I began searching for a legitimant project. Apparently there is somebody working on one
*off topic*
Same here. When I learnt there was really a project about it I didn't get much excited because it will probably very different from what I expect.
*off topic*

Malls are really required but they should be at least 3 floors.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: July 27, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »

I know what you mean, but I'm still a modder because I didn't contribute much to the actual code, all I did... Well, I guess I've used existing templates.

I understand.
Still, I recommend you take this as a learning experience then. I'd like to see what someone as active as you would do in a full game of your own.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: July 27, 2011, 08:43:31 pm »

DLC? You are making a DLC out of my mod? Oh man :D. You definitely like Bethesda.

P.S. I plan to remove Badlands alltogether. And once I figure out how to spawn distant buildings properly I will make junkyards with the same function.

DLM, excuse me. :)

Malls are really required but they should be at least 3 floors.

Technical issues are heavy with multiple above-ground floors.  I've been over it before, so I won't repeat the list of issues, but they're on hold for a while.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: July 27, 2011, 08:45:19 pm »

This topic has 5x more posts than the entire fan forums put together, people should post there more.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: July 27, 2011, 08:48:15 pm »

*snip* merging in the ones that fit with the central themes and gameplay elements of the game.

This is important, glad to hear it said out loud.  ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 777