Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1262984 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4080 on: August 01, 2011, 01:31:17 pm »

Reinforcing them just means they take longer to wear out from damage AFAIK.
*Hugs*

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: August 01, 2011, 01:33:03 pm »

1)You can't use two different containers for the same ingredient. You need 2 bottles or 2 cans.

2)Known bug

3)Maybe you just aren't getting hit as much?

1) see my edit...two plastic bottles doesn't work

2)cool

3)No, I went from extreme pain to nothing in about 12 hours....before it would have taken most of a day.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: August 01, 2011, 01:34:28 pm »

Your edit is likely correct, one is clean and one isn't.

And I haven't noticed any differences in pain so far myself.
*Hugs*

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: August 01, 2011, 01:37:29 pm »

Now two aluminum cans both filled from the toilet won't register either.....time to play dysentery roulette.

EDIT: Drank and re-filled one of the cans, which solved the problem. Also, making bread consumes the water containers and produces a plastic bag...seems weird to me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:59:57 pm by BishopX »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: August 01, 2011, 03:01:32 pm »

Now two aluminum cans both filled from the toilet won't register either.....time to play dysentery roulette.

EDIT: Drank and re-filled one of the cans, which solved the problem. Also, making bread consumes the water containers and produces a plastic bag...seems weird to me.

Well, in this universe boiling pasta also yields a cardboard box. Nutritious cardboard.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: August 01, 2011, 03:17:21 pm »

I will be tweaking crafting soon.  Right now, it's true, "water" and "dirty water," while having the same name, are considered two entirely different items and you can't mix and match the two.  Plus, you can exploit crafting to figure out whether the water you have is dirty or clean.
I'll also make crafting not consume containers (e.g. using up the bottle that water is in), and not produce the craftable in its container--meaning that if you're whipping up some home-made purifier, you'll want to make sure to have a bottle to put it in when you're done, or else be prepared to drink it immediately.
Crafting ingredients will have their own class; what this means for the player is that "water" will be a single requirement, fulfillable by clean water, dirty water, or having a water source nearby (e.g. a river or toilet).  "Heat" will be a single requirement, fulfillable by having a hotplate or nearby fire to cook over.  "Cutting tool" will likewise be fulfillable by any item with sufficient cutting damage, and not just the five or so currently listed--this means that modding in, say, a switchblade, will make the switchblade useable for crafting wood spears without the mod developer needing to edit crafting.cpp.
Finally, the area around you (say, up to 2 tiles away) will be scanned for ingredients and tools when crafting.  This will make item management when crafting much easier.

I am re-coding acid spit as we speak--the game will simulate the trajectory of the loogie, and if it collides with a window on its way to you, the window will melt with no further effects.

I am considering limiting the player to one piece of clothing of any particular type.  This will mean no double-trenchcoating, which does seem a bit odd; it will also remove the "20 fanny packs + 20 holsters" exploit as a method of gaining huge amounts of storage space with no encumbrance.  Thoughts?

Anyone else find out about this game from PlumphelmetPunk's video on it?

I tipped Plump about this game. Now, I feel so proud and self-important that I can't even begin to describe it.  :P

Thanks for helping the game to explode a tiny bit more :D  Plump attracted lots of players, and his video inspired Jef to make one, which in turn attracted even more.

I only have one request, and I believe in my heart that everyone will agree with me on this. NEVER stop making Cataclysm for your own entertainment and for the wonder of experimentation, fun, and programming. Every game I've ever loved was ruined by programmers who got a taste of cash and then became money-hungry. Same goes for bands, actors, and everyone else.

I believe in you, Whales, and know you're a good man. Keep up the great work, and never stop doing what you're doing :D

tl:dr:

Please don't go the way of Minecraft. Thank you. Lol

Starting in January 2012, connecting to the SSH server will cost $0.99/minute.  Modding will still be permitted, but to do so you must buy a Cataclysm Developer's Liscense which is currently projected to be priced at $129.00 for a one-year registration.  CBMs, purifier, keycards and backpacks will be removed from the game, but you can purchase them on the Cataclysm Store at prices ranging from $0.99 to $9.99.

...just kidding  :P

Cataclysm will always be 100% free (though donations are greatly appreciated!).  I write it for the fun of programming, the fun of making my ideal video game, and the fun of sharing my work with appreciative fans.  And unlike Notch, maker of Minecraft, if I make enough money from donations to go on month-long vacations, I will bring my laptop with me and work on Cataclysm throughout :P
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: August 01, 2011, 03:18:20 pm »

Guys if my dodge skill is 4 and my penalty to dodge skill is -4 due to my clothes, is it better then having 0 dodge skill at least? Cause i managed my clothes to get nice cuts protection, well i'm wearing leather jacket+boots+leather pants+baseball helmet+leather gloves

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: August 01, 2011, 03:23:34 pm »

I don't really think it would make sense to only wear one of a clothing unless it was bulky stuff like armor or kevlar, but the more you put on the more you'd get encumbered by the additional sleeves and weight from the clothes. Basically the more you're wearing the harder it is to move quickly, I guess.
Wearing 20 purses does seem quite weird, though, theres only so many places you can hang one from!

Also: Would a hydrophilic trait work at all?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: August 01, 2011, 03:29:31 pm »

I think it would be much better if you could half the volume bonus of each consecutive item of the same type, to simulate them being squashed by the other items you're wearing.
Or maybe increasing encumberance for double layers.
Wearing A1 encumbers your torso by 2, put on another one and they encumber you by 6.
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: August 01, 2011, 03:39:10 pm »

Guys if my dodge skill is 4 and my penalty to dodge skill is -4 due to my clothes, is it better then having 0 dodge skill at least? Cause i managed my clothes to get nice cuts protection, well i'm wearing leather jacket+boots+leather pants+baseball helmet+leather gloves

The dodge penalties from encumbrance aren't perfectly commiserate with the bonuses from skill, so yes, dodge skill 4 and dodge - 4 from encumbrance IS better than dodge skill 0 and 0 encumbrance.  Still, I am hoping to make a lightly-armored, dodgey character type well-differentiated from a heavily-armored character type.  This is something which will continually be reworked as time goes on.

I don't really think it would make sense to only wear one of a clothing unless it was bulky stuff like armor or kevlar, but the more you put on the more you'd get encumbered by the additional sleeves and weight from the clothes. Basically the more you're wearing the harder it is to move quickly, I guess.
Wearing 20 purses does seem quite weird, though, theres only so many places you can hang one from!

Also: Would a hydrophilic trait work at all?

Well, presently for every 2 layers on your torso you get an extra point of encumbrance, which seems pretty fair.  Maybe only the single item with the most storage space will count fully, and all other items worn on the same slot will get half storage space?  This way, if you're wearing two trenchcoats, you can't use them both to full effect.

NINJA'D: Wow, Merchant of Menace, it seems we came up with more or less the same idea at the exact same time.  Great minds think alike!  (Robin Williams: "WRONG!  Great minds think for themselves.")

20 purses would encumber you a lot and would be suicidal, but fanny packs don't take up a body slot, so you can stack them to your heart's content without any repercussions.  The only thing preventing this game-breaking strategy is their rarity.  Maybe I will add a "belt" body slot and cap its encumbrance at some low value.

Enough people have asked for a hydrophilic trait that I will be adding one soon.

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: August 01, 2011, 03:41:50 pm »

Hey all!

Pretty much registered an account to comment on here. I'm not really known in the LP community at all (I have a small channel on YT), but I stumbled across this place from PlumpHelmetPunk. Love the roguelike. It's actually the only one I've been able to pick up and play. Having a tutorial was a huge step in the right direction- I've been dumbed down from modern games to the point that reading a huge manual would have sucked.

Anyway, I wanted to throw some comments and suggestions your way if you didn't mind. I will probably lob money at you shortly as well, seeing as you've provided me with a lot of entertainment.

Regarding the clothing and amount you can wear, perhaps you can put a simple limit on each item. Maybe in the description of a holster, you could have "Can only equip a maximum of 2 at a time." or something similar.  The same could go for fanny packs or whatever else you want to limit. I feel like if someone wants to wear two trench coats, they certainly can, but they have to deal with the consequences of encumberment and all that.

Speaking of clothing, I kinda wish that clothing/armor would have it's own separate menu. It would be cool to see, when you  hit 'W' a paper doll or something similar that would have each slot displayed, and maybe tell you basic stats. I kinda get confused sometimes rummaging through everything and figuring out what I'm wearing and what I can put on and all that.

Gameplay wise (and sorry if this has been addressed), but if I drop a lit flashlight on the ground, it would make sense to me that it would continue using battery power and lighting the room. I don't think this is the case currently.  If it is, I'm just stupid for not noticing.  Along those lines, it would be cool to see battery-operated (or maybe the same fuel lighters use?) lanterns or something at a hardware store- they could use the 500 charge batteries that radios do. Drop it somewhere for a portable light source, or maybe use it to distract zombies!

Another quick thing- and again, maybe this is already in game but I haven't seen it- combining string and cans together and hanging it somewhere could make a good alarm if you don't have any bubblewrap laying around.

I'll shut up now. Sorry about the wall of text- I'm just real excited about this game and where it's going! Good luck with the future!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:43:56 pm by BoxMacLeod »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: August 01, 2011, 03:54:07 pm »

Speaking of clothing, I kinda wish that clothing/armor would have it's own separate menu. It would be cool to see, when you  hit 'W' a paper doll or something similar that would have each slot displayed, and maybe tell you basic stats. I kinda get confused sometimes rummaging through everything and figuring out what I'm wearing and what I can put on and all that.

This is planned--it will look much like the ammo selection dialogue used when you have multiple choices.

Gameplay wise (and sorry if this has been addressed), but if I drop a lit flashlight on the ground, it would make sense to me that it would continue using battery power and lighting the room. I don't think this is the case currently.  If it is, I'm just stupid for not noticing.  Along those lines, it would be cool to see battery-operated (or maybe the same fuel lighters use?) lanterns or something at a hardware store- they could use the 500 charge batteries that radios do. Drop it somewhere for a portable light source, or maybe use it to distract zombies!

This is a sad limitation of the current lighting system.  I'd like to move to dynamic lighting in the future, but it's a pretty big job.

Another quick thing- and again, maybe this is already in game but I haven't seen it- combining string and cans together and hanging it somewhere could make a good alarm if you don't have any bubblewrap laying around.

I'll shut up now. Sorry about the wall of text- I'm just real excited about this game and where it's going! Good luck with the future!

Heh, cool idea.  I'll add it in.  Maybe you can make a telephone for your tree fort the same way? ;D
Wall of text good, I like hearing player responses!  Thanks for playing and for the thoughts.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: August 01, 2011, 03:56:01 pm »

I am considering limiting the player to one piece of clothing of any particular type.  This will mean no double-trenchcoating, which does seem a bit odd; it will also remove the "20 fanny packs + 20 holsters" exploit as a method of gaining huge amounts of storage space with no encumbrance.  Thoughts?

Yeah, no, I don't think this is needed. I think more body slot types, or fraction encumbrance, would be a better way to handle it. (though bonuses should still be at whole numbers). Two trenchoats or two backpacks makes perfect sense and is something I've done in real life to carry more. I mean, looping backpacks or wearing them over your chest certainly brings problems of its own, but its perfectly doable.

Also, holsters always give me a ton of encumbrance, so I've never used them at all. Has this changed?

I got to admit I'm not a big fan of the item limit giving additional points of encumbrance - a sweatshirt+t-shirt and a backpack encumbers way more than I feel it should.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: August 01, 2011, 03:59:41 pm »

Well, I think it should stay, considering it gives encumbrance penalties, and you are above 5 with just a shirt, a hoodie and a backpack, add a rain coat and you are practically a walking ball of cloth with a person inside, going by the encumbrance alerts.
I am not using that, personally, but considering the penalties I think it's fine to leave it. Above certain levels it becomes the player's problem.

EDIT: Oh I didn't know of the fanny pack working like that. Yes, a belt slot would be useful in that case.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:02:11 pm by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: August 01, 2011, 04:04:07 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply! 

I wasn't aware of the lighting situation- wish I could contribute in some way.

Two quick questions- again, if these have been addressed, my apologies. I just don't have time to go through 270 pages of replies. :)  The EXP system- you..I mean, as you gain EXP, it allows your skills to train? I'm not really sure how it all works still. I need someone to explain it to me like I'm 5. Also, with recoil- is a higher number better, or do you want a lower number?
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 777