Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263503 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5820 on: August 29, 2011, 12:56:16 pm »

Just wanted to let people know that there's a new, non-crappy, non-spam-infested forum available for your enjoyment at http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php.  It's in its infancy, but it'll pick up quickly; the fan forums are pretty popular, and I'm hoping most players will move to the new ones quickly.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: August 29, 2011, 01:05:26 pm »

Yup. Like Whales said.

So, replying to existing threads is cool, but make any new threads in the new forum. We are all trying to make the transition as painless as possible.
Besides, no more email() errors, spammers or other crap.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: August 29, 2011, 03:15:28 pm »

Now who said computer skill is useless?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5823 on: August 29, 2011, 10:30:58 pm »

Now we are all sons of bitches.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: August 29, 2011, 11:07:31 pm »

Please come home to us Headswe  :'(

Aggressive Manatee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: August 30, 2011, 02:14:29 am »

Just wanted to let people know that there's a new, non-crappy, non-spam-infested forum available for your enjoyment at http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php.  It's in its infancy, but it'll pick up quickly; the fan forums are pretty popular, and I'm hoping most players will move to the new ones quickly.

Whales, I just tried to register an account.  I enter the correct answer to your "verification question" and it won't let me in.  I'm definitely not a robot.   Correct me if I am wrong, but if you kill all of something would it not mean 0 of them are left?  Or am I actually straight up mentally retarded and missing something?  It is possible, after all - while I am not a robot, I might be a manatee.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: August 30, 2011, 02:17:18 am »

Whales, I just tried to register an account.  I enter the correct answer to your "verification question" and it won't let me in.  I'm definitely not a robot.   Correct me if I am wrong, but if you kill all of something would it not mean 0 of them are left?  Or am I actually straight up mentally retarded and missing something?  It is possible, after all - while I am not a robot, I might be a manatee.

For me it was killing 3 and having 5 left = 8

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: August 30, 2011, 02:25:05 am »

I think melee combat is overpowered. At present I do more damage whacking a zombie with a smg than shooting him.

Heck, I've even succkessfully whacked zombies with a zombie corpse, for huge ammounts of damage.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aggressive Manatee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: August 30, 2011, 02:44:20 am »

A bear comes across 5 wolves fighting over a corpse and kills all of them.  I tried answering 5 as well.  Kill all of them and 5 are left?  Well, they'd be corpses, but maybe.  I tried both 0 and 5 and it wouldn't take either.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: August 30, 2011, 03:06:42 am »

A bear comes across 5 wolves fighting over a corpse and kills all of them.  I tried answering 5 as well.  Kill all of them and 5 are left?  Well, they'd be corpses, but maybe.  I tried both 0 and 5 and it wouldn't take either.

Spoiler: Correct Answers (click to show/hide)

It wouldn't accept 0 because it chooses a new question after you get it wrong.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: August 30, 2011, 08:12:36 am »

I just tried this for the first time yesterday. My god is this a great game. Still can't survive more than a full day, but that's to be expected of me and roguelikes.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: August 30, 2011, 01:32:17 pm »

I think melee combat is overpowered. At present I do more damage whacking a zombie with a smg than shooting him.

Heck, I've even succkessfully whacked zombies with a zombie corpse, for huge ammounts of damage.

I agree. I'm solving this by playing with low strenght/dexterity characters. It forces you to use guns. You can still use melee as last resort but for groups or special infected you definitely need guns.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: August 30, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »

Do you use burst fire? If not your shooting one bullet against something that doesn't feel pain and who's blood probably isn't pumping anymore. And balance wise meleeing them gives them a chance to hit you, and that slight decrease in speed could be the death of you. So it normally should do more damage.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: August 30, 2011, 02:35:28 pm »

SMGs do a LOT of damage (you can cause 400 at once) while melee never does it. You probably shoot just one bullet as Micro said.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: August 30, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »

Do you use burst fire? If not your shooting one bullet against something that doesn't feel pain and who's blood probably isn't pumping anymore. And balance wise meleeing them gives them a chance to hit you, and that slight decrease in speed could be the death of you. So it normally should do more damage.

It's not balanced. It's insanely more effective than guns. I did not even start with a melee oriented char, but simply trained with a mace till I got 6 or 7 melee points. I kill monst enemies in one or two punches, which tend to stun them anyway. What little eamage they do I can heal quickly.

Besides, gamewise doesnt make sense either. If they wont feel a bullet they sure as hell won't feel more a punch or geing whacked by a stick
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 777