Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263486 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7185 on: October 22, 2011, 12:35:54 am »

Holee fuck.

Looking at the changelog shows just how much things are moving forward. o_O

This game is going to be utterly EPIC one day, even more-so than it already is. I hope that one day when things pick up financially, we can have a real-time multiplayer server ;D EPIC monster hordes attacking player fortresses, NPC caravans for trading and travel between checkpoints (like in certain games, a high-level craftable construction that functions as a sort of Waypoint you can navigate to), all sorts of buildings and functions like functioning rudimentary banks inside of settlements for keeping your cash and rare items safe (safety deposit boxes ftw! The more volume the box, the more expensive, and the more/bigger things it can hold!), actual gun stores, FARMS!, dozens more fauna so we can viably hunt without getting zed-raped, more defenses, special walls we can fire out of (a-la fortification), TOWERS (with Z level introduction of course, OR you can go the old-school way and have uncrossable terrain to simulate another Z level, like Age of Empires' cliffs), wells for water, actual crafting stations, etc.

THEN, it'll really mark a difference. Hell, this can be turn-based mode in singleplayer also, sort of a Fortress Mode to the usual Adventure mode ;) Wandering aimlessly is fine and dandy, but actually having a SETTLEMENT to return to, NPCs to chat/barter with, and such, is HUGE. I mean. HUGELY awesome and promising. Hell, you can even choose multiple modes; start off in a barren waste with supplies and a few NPC guards, a trader, a marksman, and you can construct the settlement yourself, start off in a basic settlement with wooden walls, a stronger one with stone walls and 2-3 shops/buildings and a few houses, or a big village with metal/stone walls, fortifications, and all. Of course, the bigger the town, the harder it is to survive. ;)

Of course, this is all far, far into the future. I BELIEVE in Cataclysm, though. I know it'll attain such a level of EPICNESS, that it'll be an insane mixture of Dwarf Fortress and every kickass zombie game I've ever played and wished there was more to. Cataclysm can become THAT game.

...Pretty damn sure Cataclysm, once someone gets some sprites up (;) , will become well-known and very, very epic.

...Did I mention epic? No? Yes? :P

*has panties in a bunch just thinking about the implementable possibilities, the awesome gameplay, the amount of people playing, and Whales actually making money off of the game so he can focus on it and add more awesome content ;) )

By the way, adding player-made content/mods was literally THE most awesome and intelligent idea Whales ever had. As a COMMUNITY, we can achieve SO much more!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: October 22, 2011, 03:26:43 am »

Above post:

Woah relax, with the anime smileys and chat language.
We are all very excited about the game. And it certainly inspires team Ameripain.

Anyway, Whales? Will we ever be able to pry out windows? I hate not having any windows in my shelters.

By the way, does noises attract zombies? I broke into a house by window then every little zombie in the area came and raped me promptly as if a gas tank or something exploded :P
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: October 22, 2011, 03:37:51 am »

Above post:

We are all very excited about the game. And it certainly inspires team Ameripain.

Anyway, Whales? Will we ever be able to pry out windows? I hate not having any windows in my shelters.

By the way, does noises attract zombies? I broke into a house by window then every little zombie in the area came and raped me promptly as if a gas tank or something exploded :P

Chat language?

Hey, hey, let me be excited at 4 in the morning alright? I need to take a break from proper English and grammatical rules. :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: October 22, 2011, 03:47:36 am »

Noise attracts zombies, but not all noises are the same. Window breaking is pretty mild, IMO. I do it all the time without much consequences. Medium firearms, like a .45, do attract zombies from a wider range, so try to avoid using them near your hideout, if you can help it.

Also: try to avoid rushing into areas where you haven't been before. That might result in you getting swarmed easily, I think. At least when I expand slowly from my starting area, slaughtering local zombies whenever possible, I tend to meet zombies in controllable ammounts. It's when I rush around when I start meeting large packs.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

A Nice Glass Of STFU

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: October 22, 2011, 10:11:55 am »

So, Long time Fan, Played Since Near the Beginning, Always Loved It. Just thought I'd Bring Something To attention: Did you Know that you can attach These things to a longbow: Enhanced grip (Plausible in some ways I guess) Silencer (wait, What?) And A Sniper Conversion (Okay, What? So... What?)
Is this Intended or a Happy accident?

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: October 22, 2011, 10:13:44 am »

Above post:

Chat language?

Hey, hey, let me be excited at 4 in the morning alright? I need to take a break from proper English and grammatical rules. :P

Ok.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: October 22, 2011, 10:57:32 am »

So, Long time Fan, Played Since Near the Beginning, Always Loved It. Just thought I'd Bring Something To attention: Did you Know that you can attach These things to a longbow: Enhanced grip (Plausible in some ways I guess) Silencer (wait, What?) And A Sniper Conversion (Okay, What? So... What?)
Is this Intended or a Happy accident?

Haha, a happy accident, now eradicated.  Thanks :P

P.S. Next version will allow you to remove window panes.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:07:22 am by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: October 22, 2011, 11:07:15 am »

I don't know if attaching an actual scope to the bow would be very helpful, but there are aiming reticules that can be attached to a bow to give a shooter an easier-to-use interface than actually learning how to shoot by nothing but sight.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: October 22, 2011, 12:42:21 pm »

Arrows travel in an arc, so a scope would be useless.

Those aiming reticules are more like what you'd use in a grenade launcher, for example.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: October 22, 2011, 03:50:58 pm »

A small favor, Whales? Could you update the version number/letter in the MOTD when you make your next update? It'd be nice to see which version is running for those of us that play on the SSH version.

Sure.  I always forget to update that thing!  I wrote a new update script which handles all that stuff for me (including posting the update news to Twitter), I'll try to figure out a way to make it auto-update the MOTD too.

EDIT:  Of course, Eronarn often maintains a server-specific motd, but I'm sure he'd leave important information in there.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:59:06 pm by Whales »

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: October 22, 2011, 03:57:51 pm »

P.S. Next version will allow you to remove window panes.

Cool! Thanks!

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: October 22, 2011, 03:59:10 pm »

Also, why no ability to extract from triffids? Maybe a way to, to quote the book, "dock" them?

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: October 22, 2011, 04:35:03 pm »

can it have texturepacks? im fine with ASCII but i prefer graphic tiles

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: October 22, 2011, 06:00:16 pm »

can it have texturepacks? im fine with ASCII but i prefer graphic tiles

One exists for Windows somewhere, but it hasn't been maintained at all and no tiles version has existed for a while.  One day I hope to have an official tiles version, but that's a ways off :)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: October 22, 2011, 06:57:24 pm »

Is there a button to drop all from the drop menu? If there is, what is it so I can stop accidentally pressing it.... if not there's a bug that sometimes makes you drop EVERYTHING.

Also, why the heck didn't anyone ever tell me you can construct a flamethrower?! ...Now I just have to figure out how to reload it... it says it takes gasoline but I can't fill it straight from the pump, and I can't seem to use an aluminium can, plastic bottle, or glass bottle full of gas to reload it either....
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 777