Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263629 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7425 on: October 27, 2011, 09:03:45 pm »

How about a Rift gun that has the same mechanics, but is powered by life force. The spatial distance between the two portals affects how much life force it sucks away from you. Arbitrary example: 10 tiles between the two = 20% hitpoint loss.

Wait, "life force"? Where did that come from? That seems like kind of a hasty and genre-defining/defying thing to suggest all of a sudden.

Spoiler: portal stuff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:06:17 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: October 27, 2011, 09:20:09 pm »

Nevermind.

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: October 27, 2011, 09:45:20 pm »

Well damn, it seems I have hit a snag .-.
How do you remove a silencer from a weapon? Or any mod, for that matter?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: October 27, 2011, 09:48:25 pm »

"U" twice. First unloads the weapon, second removes mods.

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: October 27, 2011, 09:52:15 pm »

Ohh... that makes sense. Derp 6_9

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: October 27, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »

No problem.

I have an idea: what if you could find random, lone corpses of civilians loaded with survival goods, like a gun, a bunch of ammo, food, water etc. etc.

I mean, if you survived, there's bound to be others, right?

Also, maybe there could be a miniscule chance of a house spawning stocked with survivor's goods and barricaded up?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: October 27, 2011, 10:03:39 pm »

No problem.

I have an idea: what if you could find random, lone corpses of civilians loaded with survival goods, like a gun, a bunch of ammo, food, water etc. etc.

Also, maybe there could be a miniscule chance of a house spawning stocked with survivor's goods and barricaded up?
With the survivor as a human or... not a human?  :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: October 27, 2011, 10:14:44 pm »

How about a Rift gun that has the same mechanics, but is powered by life force. The spatial distance between the two portals affects how much life force it sucks away from you. Arbitrary example: 10 tiles between the two = 20% hitpoint loss.

Wait, "life force"? Where did that come from? That seems like kind of a hasty and genre-defining/defying thing to suggest all of a sudden.

Spoiler: portal stuff (click to show/hide)

In-canon justification for the mechanic of hit points. All you had to do was read the other half of my post (part of which you cut out) if you wanted to see that.

In other words, flavor text would be something along the lines of  "feeds off of the life force of the user as a power source", but what it does is exactly what I mentioned one line below that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: October 27, 2011, 10:22:05 pm »

I understand you're trying to come up with an in-game justification for hit points. But why do we need one? Why not just say that it damages your body via spatial disruption (or some other such hooey) instead of pulling some new cosmological stuff out of thin air? Granted, that wouldn't explain the permanent HP loss, and I'm not sure how you'd justify that. But yeah, you can't just assume that adding this sort of mystical-magical element ("life force") to the game is appropriate. Maybe it is and maybe it's not, but I don't see any indication that it is, and there's no obvious connection to the current game thematically.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: October 27, 2011, 10:22:34 pm »

No problem.

With the survivor as a human or... not a human?  :P
You'll find out when you step through the remains of what used to be the door. :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: October 27, 2011, 10:28:13 pm »

I understand you're trying to come up with an in-game justification for hit points. But why do we need one? Why not just say that it damages your body via spatial disruption (or some other such hooey) instead of pulling some new cosmological stuff out of thin air? Granted, that wouldn't explain the permanent HP loss, and I'm not sure how you'd justify that. But yeah, you can't just assume that adding this sort of mystical-magical element ("life force") to the game is appropriate. Maybe it is and maybe it's not, but I don't see any indication that it is, and there's no obvious connection to the current game thematically.

I wasn't suggesting that "life force" would be the specfic term. That was the general placeholder for whatever technobabble you want to justify, as it all amounts to the same thing, and that is a fairly standard one that most people will instantly recognize the meaning of.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: October 27, 2011, 11:02:07 pm »

No problem.

Now that NPCs are coming back. I would love it if we could start closer to the actual Cataclysm... there could be lots of civillians running around, getting cut down and coming back up...the occasional holdout blazing away from his window and disintegrating military and police units. By day two NPCs outside of factions would be rare, by day 3 non-existent.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: October 27, 2011, 11:31:56 pm »

No problem.

Now that NPCs are coming back. I would love it if we could start closer to the actual Cataclysm... there could be lots of civillians running around, getting cut down and coming back up...the occasional holdout blazing away from his window and disintegrating military and police units. By day two NPCs outside of factions would be rare, by day 3 non-existent.

I would love that too, but it's a couple of orders of magnitude bigger in difficulty and scope than adding NPCs, factions, and missions.  Maybe some day way down the line, but don't hold your breath. :)
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: October 28, 2011, 07:53:45 am »

I would love that too, but it's a couple of orders of magnitude bigger in difficulty and scope than adding NPCs, factions, and missions.  Maybe some day way down the line, but don't hold your breath. :)

Think of it as a power goal(a la DF). Along with the ability to attach a chainsaw to your amputated hand.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: October 28, 2011, 10:53:42 am »

Started a game in the new version. Had the bad luck of having the starting house two blocks away from a fungal bloom. For some reason there were dozens of regular zombies as well.

No matter. As soon as I find a liquor store I'm going to go there with a couple of molotovs, and solve the fungus problem once and for all

PD: guess what: fungal blooms are highly flammable. Toss a couple of molotovs anywhere near the spire and the ensuing blaze will do the rest.

I hate fungus. I can see a point in not exterminating all triffid queens, as at least triffs are edible,  but I don't see upsides to fungal spawns
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:25:48 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 777