Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260331 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7875 on: November 13, 2011, 07:25:37 pm »

Aspirin has no ill effects, but only raises your painkiller level to 15 (30 damage inflicted).  Tramadol lasts much much longer and raises you to 40.  Aspirin can handle mid-range "Moderate Pain" if you keep taking it, and Tramadol can handle Extreme Pain or less.  Tramadol and Aspirin do not stack with anything - if you're on tramadol then the aspirin has no effect, and if you're on oxy and take tramadol the tramadol won't boost it higher.  If you find yourself in excruciating pain, my advice would be tramadol to take it down to something more reasonable, and then deal with the remaining pain until it goes down.

You cannot get addicted to aspirin, but you can to all other pain meds.  Aspirin also seems to have a delayed effect, you won't start feeling pain relief for a little while, so it may do better to start popping aspirin before you go out foraging, in case you get hurt you'll already have some painkiller built up!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7876 on: November 13, 2011, 08:16:32 pm »

I find the best way to deal with pain is to have so much dakka on me at any one time that nothing gets a chance to cause it.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7877 on: November 13, 2011, 08:19:56 pm »

Quick, cause the little speed buff is nice, fast reader I like at 1 pt, packmule and fast learner are both sweet but expensive, the heighten adrenalin one is good for a melee build ive found.  I dont know how much it does but i like to take inconspicuous cause ive lost a few games waking up to a horde in my bedroom.

downers i like glass jaw, but unlike every other person on the planet, it has actually killed me, trigger happy is free points, asthmatic i usually take, then (last few games ive found purifier in my starting basement anyway), schizophrenic i pretty much always take, though killing your mother while walking through the rain is a real downer. 
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: November 13, 2011, 08:40:48 pm »

asthmatic i usually take, then (last few games ive found purifier in my starting basement anyway)

Purifier hasn't cured asthmatic for quite some time now... or any other starting traits, for that matter.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7879 on: November 13, 2011, 09:05:56 pm »

I like to place myself in the game. So I typically pick traits I can identify with... Lightweight, near-sighted, and... er... robust genetics.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: November 13, 2011, 09:30:43 pm »

I tried Asthmatic once and it didn't let my character sleep for more than a couple hours straight before having an asthma attack. Has it gotten less intrusive or something?

Speaking of which, I like the point-limit system for traits now... but I'm not sure it discourages min-maxing any less. You're still highly encouraged to max out your disadvantages, except now you tend to choose a smorgasbord of low-point traits instead of three high-point ones, and to pick ones your character will be unlikely to actually encounter. I'm not sure how to improve that, though. I think cutting down the point "maximum" and then introducing diminishing returns after that (so after maximum advantages you need to spend more, and after maximum disadvantages you don't get as much) would help. This is really a problem endemic to games with (dis)advantages in general, making it an interesting problem to solve.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: November 13, 2011, 09:33:34 pm »

I tried Asthmatic once and it didn't let my character sleep for more than a couple hours straight before having an asthma attack. Has it gotten less intrusive or something?

No, but it's not too bad. You just go back to sleep if needed. I've even found it to be a convenient "alarm clock", so to speak.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: November 13, 2011, 09:52:05 pm »

I can never get a night's sleep, so my character ends up catnapping quite a bit, never sleeping long enough to be rested and instead just sleeping frequently.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: November 13, 2011, 09:59:13 pm »

No, but it's not too bad. You just go back to sleep if needed. I've even found it to be a convenient "alarm clock", so to speak.

Going back to sleep didn't work for me very often. I'd wake up, having an asthma attack, then use my inhaler and be unable to fall asleep again.

... Kind of like me in real life when I was nine years old, so I guess it's at least realistic! Although asthma attacks really ought to have a lower chance of occurring (per unit time) when you're sleeping, and more when you're exerting yourself.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: November 14, 2011, 07:24:59 pm »

Cata rL fanforums got hit bad by a spamattack...

anyways, I wanted to know about recoil algorithms, how quickly it disipates, and if that's a figure subtracted from accuracy... or something.

and I've also thought I'd mention that computer skills require a LOT of training before they do anything remotely useful.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:32:11 pm by TerryDactyl »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: November 14, 2011, 07:37:21 pm »

The fanforums have been dead for ages.
New forums are at http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
*Hugs*

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7886 on: November 14, 2011, 07:39:57 pm »

New version of my construction extension mod thing up.
Cataclysm Construction and Crafting Extension Mod and Tweakset
Mod Thread
Added:
Wood Fences, crafted with 3 2x4s and 2 nails or lengths of string.
Barbed Wire Fences; crafted with 2 wood spears and 2 lengths of barbed wire. Placed via the construction menu.
Electric Fences; crafted with 2 lengths of wire and either 800 batteries or 20 plutonium cells. Placed via the construction menu.
Barbed wire bats; crafted with barbed wire and a baseball bat.
Toolkits; Crafted with a toolbox and a selection of tools, substitutes for tools in many crafting recipes.
Wire and Barbed Wire; can both be found in hardware stores, Barbed Wire can be crafted with wire and nails.
Display racks can no longer be crafted, and can now be smashed to obtain chunks of steel and pipes.

Old Version stuff
Trees can be cut down with an axe, a machete or a wood saw.
Logs can be used to build walls.
Book cases, dressers, beds and counters constructable and destructable.
Tweaked drops from smashing certain constructions.
Logs can be split, split logs are used to build walls.
Spears can be used to cook meat and veggies in place of pans and pots.

Feel free to comment and suggest stuff here or in the Whalesdev thread.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:07:04 pm by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: November 14, 2011, 10:43:40 pm »

Can we get rammed earth walls?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: November 15, 2011, 04:23:06 am »

New version of my construction extension mod thing up.

Do you have it as source so I can run it on Linux :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #7889 on: November 15, 2011, 08:40:32 am »

Glass jaw - Honestly, this should be nerfed, it's 3 free points - even with it I've NEVER died due to head damage, always torso
That's kind of odd, since zombies in my games have always had surprisingly good accuracy, hitting me in the eyes or mouth most times. Not sure why, maybe it's just bad luck.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 777