Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263046 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7965 on: November 17, 2011, 06:19:02 pm »

And I agree with Whales.  Fat burns mediocre, but the real energy of meat is when eaten, and that's when metabolic interchange comes into play.

Combusting meat/fat almost certainly provides at least as much energy as digesting it would, and probably more (because there isn't much of any overhead involved and you're probably combusting more than you can digest).

Of course, meat and fat are also difficult to burn; you'd need a lot of heat to begin with, and it would take a while. So it's still probably not a good idea.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: November 17, 2011, 06:52:41 pm »

So I noticed this game sort of stutters (for lack of a better word) on one computer than on another, basically if I continually walk it will pause for a split second every three or four seconds.  The odd thing is that this computer is better than another one where it works fine. 

What could be the cause of this?
It's generating the world!  As I've observed (via scum-saving) the overworld map is described, but the individual walls and items are generated when they're first seen.  I went to a lab, walked in, and crashed.  I went again, and the lab was built differently.  Areas you've explored are set, but areas that you're moving to are being generated with the building, items, and any monsters.  Additionally, as you move into a new area it needs to reload off the notepad document in the save folder, which isn't instant.  And save, but that's usually much quicker.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: November 17, 2011, 06:54:38 pm »

I understand that, my question was what issues could there be that would cause it to perform worse one one computer than on another. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:36 pm »

difference in computer capacity, of course.  Probably your CPU more than anything, since such simple procedures (reading and writing text, basic command line stuff) doesn't rely on graphics cards or anything like that.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: November 17, 2011, 07:13:16 pm »

Could also depend on your storage hardware; SSD vs HDD, write speeds, how fragmented your drive is I guess, etc.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: November 17, 2011, 07:46:14 pm »

Well, that was fast.

Spawning in a room with 7 black widows = bad news
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: November 17, 2011, 07:46:45 pm »

Unless you have scent masking.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: November 17, 2011, 08:07:47 pm »

You don't spawn with scent masking unless you got some absurdly lucky Android perks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: November 17, 2011, 08:43:23 pm »

8)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: November 17, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »

Has the Windows version stair bug been corrected?

Can't play til I have functioning stairs, no way to set up a proper stronghold. :(
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: November 17, 2011, 09:24:50 pm »

I prefer to live (and die) on the surface, where the zombies keep me warm (while on fire and clawing at me).  I'm still getting the hang of defense, but spike pits are almost OP in that 2 will kill a green almost every time, and three makes you virtually immune to everything except brutes and hulks.  My order of business appears to be 1: dig pits 3-4 deep, 2: spike the pits, clothing store changing room doors are easy 2x4 farm, 3: proceed walls and roof.  This is set over the course of several days (weeks) and done between scavenging calls.  Hopefully you've found a bunker, lab, or sewer to hide in while digging the pits.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: November 17, 2011, 09:34:20 pm »

I understand that, my question was what issues could there be that would cause it to perform worse one one computer than on another.

There's always the possibility that software running on one computer is intermittently eating up a lot of CPU cycles or accessing memory a lot. It's hard to say, because there are a lot of variables involved.

It's worth noting that cataclysm probably writes to disk fairly often, since even a relatively new world can have written tens of thousands of files. I don't see why that would be causing a problem, though, since the files are damn small and read/write access times shouldn't really be an issue.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: November 17, 2011, 09:42:23 pm »

Each file appears to be an overmap section, which is a 24x24 tile square that contains a house, bank, road, field, etc. and briefly describes the tile layout and item composition.  So even if it's a helluva lot of files, each contains like less than 1,500 characters each.  Quick to load up, but it does take a pause to actually access the files.  Still, playable alpha, small lag while loading new zones, nothing too horrible, right?

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: November 17, 2011, 09:47:04 pm »

Oh sure, I am loving this game so far (paranoia produces some.. Interesting results..), I was just curious about the weird difference between the two systems.

In any case, still learning the game but having fun.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: November 17, 2011, 09:51:43 pm »

Each file appears to be an overmap section, which is a 24x24 tile square that contains a house, bank, road, field, etc. and briefly describes the tile layout and item composition.  So even if it's a helluva lot of files, each contains like less than 1,500 characters each.  Quick to load up, but it does take a pause to actually access the files.  Still, playable alpha, small lag while loading new zones, nothing too horrible, right?

Yeah, it's just an unacceptable amount of filesystem glut, at least in the long term.
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 777