Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263376 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8085 on: November 20, 2011, 11:15:12 pm »

Bit of advice about SCHUDs

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: November 20, 2011, 11:31:41 pm »

Seriously? o_O Huh.

I'll have to test this out some time.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: November 21, 2011, 02:07:22 am »

... If they're blind, why do I need to turn off the lights?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: November 21, 2011, 02:09:35 am »

Because (I assume) he worded that badly.  If you shut off the light they can't see well enough to chase you, is what he was trying to say.  Which is, rather, to say that they can see, but they can't smell or hear, unlike bees and ants who will gladly hunt you in the dark and ARE actually blind.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: November 21, 2011, 03:00:39 am »

For the record, CHUDs can hear too, so turning your light off isn't perfect protection.  Though you're as good as invisible if you're more than 6 or so tiles away, and Light Step reduces that to 1-2.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Bobv2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: November 21, 2011, 03:28:41 am »

Why is it that monsters spawn indefinitely?

It seems to me that if you attract all of the zombies within hearing radius with your shotgun and then kill them all, that area should be "cleared" and not spawn zombies for a really, really long time.

Perhaps make populations dynamic, and make it possible for a player to "exterminate" a tile? Then it could "grow back" over time from neighboring tiles.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: November 21, 2011, 03:45:03 am »

Why is it that monsters spawn indefinitely?

It seems to me that if you attract all of the zombies within hearing radius with your shotgun and then kill them all, that area should be "cleared" and not spawn zombies for a really, really long time.

Perhaps make populations dynamic, and make it possible for a player to "exterminate" a tile? Then it could "grow back" over time from neighboring tiles.

I've been thinking about having per-tile populations, and making them spread and ebb and flow like a fluid.

It'd probably slow things down a lot, though I'm really not sure.  It also might not be that noticable, and would probably upset the game balance.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: November 21, 2011, 05:30:36 am »

I've been thinking about having per-tile populations, and making them spread and ebb and flow like a fluid.

Oh, yes please, since the spawning mechanic is artificial i feel sometimes cheated by the game when it throws a horde at me in the most inappropriate time. It would be much more immersive for the hordes to actually be physically there.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: November 21, 2011, 05:54:41 am »

hulik: Did you know the game already draws monsters from local populations? In fact, it's possible to completely destroy some via specific methods, like with fungaloids.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:14 am »

It'd probably slow things down a lot, though I'm really not sure.  It also might not be that noticable, and would probably upset the game balance.
Even if you would only do it for the special zombies* PLEASE DO IT.
* (except the boomer; they're fun in a harmless-and-annoying kind of way and should always be around, for their ability to annoy is great)

Even if you kept things the exact way they are now, just to keep the illusion that you're "making a difference" in a city, make the game count how many of each special zombie there is [on a map tile] as a 'standing body' and as a 'unmoving corpse'. The player will go around, run into them [when they spawn randomly], and kill them; slowly shifting the population from standing to corpse. Corpses don't do anything, aside from waiting for a necromancer to revive them; the rate/capability of which is based on the current standing necromancer population [of that map tile] and the current kill-count on special zombie types. Butchering is the only way to fully eliminate the population, because it removes corpses in an unrevivable way; the player butchers a hulk corpse? The hulk corpse population is decreased by 1, reducing the total population in turn.

If the player slacks off for long enough, or doesn't clean up right, eventually the special zombies come back... But if the player is persistent, their effort will be repaid with little worry of running into the more dangerous zombie types [on the map tiles that they've cleared of special zombies]. Of course, boomers and skeletons should still exist, since they give up some durability for their gimmick and arn't really as dangerous as a hulk or electrical zombie.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:25:44 am by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: November 21, 2011, 07:53:08 am »

Oh, yes please, since the spawning mechanic is artificial i feel sometimes cheated by the game when it throws a horde at me in the most inappropriate time. It would be much more immersive for the hordes to actually be physically there.
The hordes still wouldn't be actually there, they would still spawn as currently. what would change is the way the spawn pool is handled, by letting those move between each other (and no doubt removing some if two groups that are hostile to each other were in the same area). Actually having everything move around would be almost impossible, given that the game uses an overall infinite map, and that the groups are quite large. Not to mention that it would break the current "lots of action before a time of no action" thing that currently happens.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: November 21, 2011, 12:19:32 pm »

Still waiting for the Windows Port of the newest update. :) I really want to try that Megamall with working stairs in-game.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: November 21, 2011, 12:20:18 pm »

*sigh* so upsetting :P

Spoiler: Missile Launch Crash (click to show/hide)

Tried to reload the save and when I tried to launch it the game crashed again, I also had a blank body listed on my kills when I died?
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: November 21, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »

*sigh* so upsetting :P

Spoiler: Missile Launch Crash (click to show/hide)

Tried to reload the save and when I tried to launch it the game crashed again, I also had a blank body listed on my kills when I died?

:| Sorry for getting you addicted to Cataclysm. :P It really is drug-like.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8099 on: November 21, 2011, 12:57:26 pm »

I think the current mongroup system works well enought, although it might be more realistic to have zombies already spawned on any maptile you enter. That'd make things awfully difficult though. Also, have roving mobs - like the current mongroups, but moving around. Maybe have them represented as a red '!' on the overmap? You could do this for zombies, and then also maybe for giant locusts or something?. Maybe have the giant social insects (ants bees wasps) swarm occasionally?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 777