Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263613 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9405 on: May 30, 2012, 06:53:11 pm »

I'm playing with the vehicles mod.  Just got a brand new (maybe slightly bloodstained) motorbike!  Thing is so much fun, gonna be abusing fuel tanks and trying to cannibalize other vehicles ASAP.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: May 30, 2012, 07:10:56 pm »

If you savescum your inventory starts getting mixed up, I once got a can of broadsword and bottle of TIME
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9407 on: May 30, 2012, 07:22:18 pm »

I can't wait for the vehicles mod to be released in the full version. I just haven't sat down to figure out how to compile mods and stuff, yet.

Suddenly, changing home base is feasible.

a first aid of tequila

marijuana of tequila

Sounds about right.

can of broadsword

bottle of TIME

Sounds like an energy drink and a crappy magazine in liquid form, respectively.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: May 30, 2012, 07:38:50 pm »

Actually, Broadsword would be a great energy drink.
Broadsword - Gives you chops
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: May 30, 2012, 08:47:34 pm »

Bottle of TIME sounds like an artifact.

Also, a proper vehicle doesn't make changing base easy - it becomes your base!  I've been debugging just a little, and if you can get the materials you can wind up with some pretty fancy vehicles.  Specifically, there's an in-game set of menus that let you modify existing vehicles, allowing you to modify parts (exchange that 1L engine for a 2.5L), remove parts (my wheel is damaged, but luckily there's another bike here with a wheel!), add extra parts (attach an additional fuel tank, add spikes, instal a second engine), and make structural changes (build a roof and walls!).  Just looking at it briefly, it should be more than possible to end up with some very creative designs, especially if you're going for a single purpose.  A motorbike is very easy, and can include a trunk and such.  A truck is also a default vehicle, with significant storage space as well as large gas tanks and a small space inside that's protected from weather.

But if you're designing custom vehicles to deal with the zombie apocalypse...  Well, turrets can be mounted, with machineguns, flamethrowers, or plasma rifles.  Walls can be added using steel sheets and frameworks, letting you reinforce your vehicle against attack.  Roofs can provide protection from the rain.  I could imagine a rather small gas engine, or a large electric engine with solar panel being used to power a large square vehicle.  This would do very little except provide a 5x5 or larger roof area as well as a bit of trunk space, so that you can fight in the shade casually even in the worst weather!

Similarly, you can remove and add parts relatively quickly, so I might imagine it being possible to attach a few walls and block yourself in, making a temporary "building" where you can read or craft, and then pull down the walls, put them in the trunk, and keep going.  I've even asked about how solar panels might work.  If you could recharge using them, then not only would your vehicle run clean and infinitely, but you could recharge your radios, flashlights, and perhaps even your bionics by utilizing your vehicle's own solars.

And then there's always the option to take a motorbike, add a bigass engine, spikes on the front, and just mow through the crowds.  Depending on how strong things are, you may even be able to crash through walls and perform the ultimate bank heists.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: May 30, 2012, 08:55:27 pm »

add a bigass engine
I misread that as "biogas" so now I want one that runs on zombie corpses. Or other corpses I guess.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:08 pm »

Hah, it has been a while, so when I found a soldier corpse with a landmine on it, I initially flipped my shit before realizing that it wasn't active.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: May 30, 2012, 09:12:53 pm »

add a bigass engine
I misread that as "biogas" so now I want one that runs on zombie corpses. Or other corpses I guess.
Well, I don't see why you couldn't mod it in :P  I'm sure you could tweak some stats, so that the "fuel" would be a corpse.  Either way, I'm toying with debug vehicles now, trying to see what monstrocity I could produce.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9413 on: May 30, 2012, 11:46:55 pm »

Post pictures, please.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: May 31, 2012, 01:42:06 am »

I've been using a mobile blacksmithing base lately, because why not mount a forge, crucible and anvil on your truck?
*Hugs*

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: May 31, 2012, 06:00:41 am »

Just had another go at this and have finally gotten into it, don't know why I couldn't get the hang of it before.
What exactly should I be doing in my first few days? I started in an evac centre with another survivor, together we went out and got some supplies (read, I went and got supplies while she ran about punching triffids) and brought them back to the shelter, but I have a few questions.
Can you sleep on the floor, or do you have to have a bed? If so, can you move an existing one/craft a new one? Also, is there like a newcomers guide anywhere?

Excellent game, though! :D
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: May 31, 2012, 06:53:30 am »

Hm. A G36 in my base apparently has the power to crash the game if I try to pick it up.
Weapons with mods can cause crashes, particularly with bayonets, something in the item info menu don't appear correctly.

To pick it up, use the "get all" command (Default: ,). If it's the only item on the tile, drop another item on the same tile first.

Just had another go at this and have finally gotten into it, don't know why I couldn't get the hang of it before.
What exactly should I be doing in my first few days? I started in an evac centre with another survivor, together we went out and got some supplies (read, I went and got supplies while she ran about punching triffids) and brought them back to the shelter, but I have a few questions.
Can you sleep on the floor, or do you have to have a bed? If so, can you move an existing one/craft a new one? Also, is there like a newcomers guide anywhere?

Excellent game, though! :D
You can sleep anywhere, beds supposedly make it easier to fall asleep.

We have a Wiki.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:00:39 am by Blaze »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: May 31, 2012, 08:56:20 am »

Awesome, this will help a lot. Also, is there a way to make the window bigger, fitting more on the screen perhaps?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Argwm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: May 31, 2012, 03:37:47 pm »

I may not have found the proper function, But it doesn't appear you can refill Jackhammers with bottles of gasoline.
I wonder if it's the same for chainsaws, Speaking of which, Do chainsaws have any use?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: May 31, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »

Awesome, this will help a lot. Also, is there a way to make the window bigger, fitting more on the screen perhaps?
You have to use a bigger font or tileset (in the tileset mod).

Also as I've answered in pm, I was down with a flu for a few days, so I could not work on my Genesis mod, Plumphelmetpunk's request and this tileset, but once I am done with my wifey's math tests (they are dicks giving such tasks to the first year student, lol), I will be back with fresh energy.

Also I've just watched "Hobo with a shotgun", and now I want to mod in axe-butts for rifles and lawnmower fans as weapons :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 777