Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 666 667 [668] 669 670 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263581 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10005 on: June 27, 2012, 02:33:14 pm »

Don't get the source.  The source is only useful if you're going to be modding.  Download the executable instead.

The OP has a link the a good version.  It's Windows for Vanilla + Vehicle Mod (With Opaque Doors and Fixed Item Spawns).

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10006 on: June 27, 2012, 02:34:23 pm »

I found this out moments later from a google search, but thank you for the quick reply!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10007 on: June 29, 2012, 03:16:26 am »

wait, what's this alien goo stuff?

actually, if you're gonna tell me, could you link me to something for me to browse at my own pleasure?
It's the reason of the game. Check the notes in the labs (or spoiler yourself by checking the text files).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10008 on: June 29, 2012, 05:18:37 am »

So, I've been playing this for a few days, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Haven't actually been able to survive more than a day or two yet, but that's mostly because of pressing some key (haven't been able to establish which one exactly yet), which brings up a menu that says "Sensitivity 0-6" or something like that, which crashes the game and erases the save. Which kind of sucks.

There is some things than I'm curious about, though.

1, The inventory system. I get the volume and weight requirements, but there seems to be some other limitation as well. My guess so far is that it's limited 56 slots regardless, one for each of the characters in the minor and capital alphabet. Is that correct?

2, I just came upon a two-way radio in my previous game, and was able to call some factions for help. For some reason, my relationship to them was "hero" and "legendary" or something like that, which seems kind of strange seeming as I hadn't run into any of them before (or anyone else except the one you start with, for that matter)?

...And those are the only two things I can remember at the moment. Other things I've been thinking about is the non-aggression between different types of enemies, it bothers me a lot too (speaking of the discussion on previous pages). Especially when you're being hunted by a zomob and a bear appears, and then it just runs straight through the mob. I've had a similar situation with a wolf as well, and it really stretches my disbelief when it happens.

Another thing I'm also annoyed by is that my character is able to see further than I can on the interface. That it extremely grating.

Finally, I was looking through the the forums while posting this, and it seems I might not have been using the latest version. It's kind of a mess finding it. For example, there is a stickied "Windows version" thread which seems to have an outdated version in it. This doesn't seem like an "official" thread in hindsight, but that's pretty hard to tell for a newcomer. The link in the OP also leads there, by the way.

I also downloaded what I thought was the newest version, but it seems it doesn't recognise my keyboard input? I might be missing something here.
Love, scriver~

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10009 on: June 29, 2012, 06:42:37 am »

Really need to get back into this game, but I've fallen off paying attention to developments and am intimidating on what I'm sure is a huge change in the game.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10010 on: June 29, 2012, 06:53:31 am »

The git site, at least, will always have the newest version, but I can understand why you'd want to avoid that. :P

The whole 'character can see further than the player can see' bother me to no end as well, however the next version sounds like it will be including the view extender mod.

And if you want the best experience, don't play mainline at all - play the vehicle mod!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10011 on: June 29, 2012, 06:57:12 am »

1, The inventory system. I get the volume and weight requirements, but there seems to be some other limitation as well. My guess so far is that it's limited 56 slots regardless, one for each of the characters in the minor and capital alphabet. Is that correct?

2, I just came upon a two-way radio in my previous game, and was able to call some factions for help. For some reason, my relationship to them was "hero" and "legendary" or something like that, which seems kind of strange seeming as I hadn't run into any of them before (or anyone else except the one you start with, for that matter)?

Edit: You two ninjas.

1. Yep, inventory limit is from a-Z, despite you having extra space in your inventory.
2. I'm guessing it's the thing with the NPC stuff, somehow they have only two responses (despite not appearing in game). They help you out by sending ~3 people with various equipment (can even be unarmed O_o) or deny aid request. "You're on your own, buddy."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10012 on: June 29, 2012, 07:14:56 am »

I think that - is the scent menu, it's a debug option that shows scents nearby.  Sensitivity is a percentage, so when you hit 0 it's trying to divide by 0 and it swallows itself.

The a-z-A-Z is a design limitation, yeah, but you really don't need 56 items, no matter how much you think you might, it's probably a better idea to stockpile them.

NPCs aren't fully developed.  Just... Just go with it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10013 on: June 29, 2012, 07:42:18 am »

Thanks for the answers all.

And if you want the best experience, don't play mainline at all - play the vehicle mod!

You mean this one. It didn't work, for some reason, same problem as with the mainline version above... It doesn't recognise that I'm typing.

TheDarklingWolf's mod (with integrated vehicle mod) worked, however, so I'm playing that one now.

Also, there seems to be a lot of recognisable bay12:er names on their forums. Might even dare to migrate over there.
Love, scriver~

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10014 on: June 29, 2012, 08:06:35 am »

The OP has a link to the version I run.  It doesn't recognize numpad in the main menu, crafting window, @ screen, or modding vehicles, but it DOES recognize vikeys, and the arrow keys.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10015 on: June 29, 2012, 08:14:52 am »

Specifically this one (direct download) is the one Wolfy modified for Girlinhat, it has the arrow key fix and opaque doors for vehicles, as well as fixed spawns.

He doesn't reccomend people play his mod in its current state.
*Hugs*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10016 on: June 29, 2012, 08:15:56 am »

I might be a bit daft, but which of the links would that be?

Also, Girlinhat, about your previous post - I'm not sure what game you are playing but I am playing a game with lots of stuff everywhere and you have to pick it all up all the time OR DIE HORRIBLY possibly  :P
Love, scriver~

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10017 on: June 29, 2012, 08:26:00 am »

Then you're playing a totally different game.  I'm playing the game where you find a machete, a skirt, some painkillers, and run screaming from one window to the next kiting zombies.

Seriously.  Weapon, painkillers, MRE, bottle of water, and not much else.  Anything else you think you need?  It goes into a safehouse or your vehicle's trunk space.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10018 on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:30 am »

What else? Food, medicinal stuff, cigarettes, cooking thingeries, rags and booze for molotows, ammo, spare glasses, hammers and nails and everything that might come in handy later. It's like a Bethesda game except you can't sell anything at the end of the dungeon, because IT NEVER ENDS ;D
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10019 on: June 29, 2012, 08:39:13 am »

I generally have:

Worn:
Backpack
Utility Vest
Kevlar Vest
Army Helmet
Cargo Pants
Leather Gloves
Steel Toed Boots

Carried:
Combat Knife (Replace with butchers knife if you can get it, much more meat from animals, but the combat knife is decent at it)
Shotgun with Bayonet
Ammo x2 (all multipliers are for stacks)
4 bottles (with fluctuating water levels)
Lighter x2
Flashlight
2 batteries (1 in flashlight)
Adderal x3
Painkiller x3-x8, depending on type.
UPS x1000
Night Vision Goggles (only worn when needed, to prevent breaking)
Sewing Kit x2

And that... leaves me pretty much good to go, honestly. Once I'm all kitted out, it's pretty hard to stop me. Only died last time because by Kevlar broke when a bear attacked while out on what was supposed to be a simple wood gathering trip and I wasn't paying good enough attention.

anything else only ends up in my inventory long enough to be dropped in some central location, unless I'm being nomadic-ish, in which case it's not picked up at all.

Sometimes I'll trade the shotgun for a shovel and steel spear, swapping ranged ability for quick construction of quiet and effective traps.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:41:55 am by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 666 667 [668] 669 670 ... 777