Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263001 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10215 on: July 04, 2012, 06:52:09 pm »

I think I'm terrible at this game. I got through the first night for my second time. There's somewhere between 50 and 75 zombie corpses outside my house. I boarded up all of my doors and have been using my neighbors' windows to assist in killing the zombies. I used my doorway when I woke up (11 zombies, a wolf, and two spiders wanted to tell me good morning), but tossing all of the corpses back outside is a pain. The boards for my windows came from the neighbors' (smashed) doors. I raided the nearby grocery store, but it only had barely enough for two meals. Time to go explore loot the town.

I was traveling with a person and their dog (which I rescued) earlier. I had them teach me archery and some assorted skills, because I started next to some stores with bows. When I had them follow me, they kept getting in the way of the dog, and the dog killed them. The dog is probably still in some store it couldn't follow me out of.

EDIT: Nope, no looting. Got killed by a brute. I killed 132 zombies (including specials) in about 24 hours.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:57:00 pm by Lectorog »

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: July 04, 2012, 07:07:30 pm »

I hate to admit, but I cheat to get by, mostly by debug-revealing the map, debug-spawning a vehicle I need and debug-wishing for an ax and some nails to board up a house. But other than that, I only debug-acquire things (like guns and bullets, or medicine) when I absolutely need to.

I always look for and board up solitary houses in the middle of a forest, mostly because they're secluded from the cities so I don't get besieged by zombies, because the forest setting makes it fairly easy to defend from other wildlife, and because you always need a safe and secure home base like that.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: July 04, 2012, 07:18:47 pm »

It's a pain to get food in the forest, though. Nails and axes are too rare - I've not found an axe yet, and I'm always in need of nails. I tried building my own house in the woods, with a chainsaw, but never enough nails. Also, shovels. Need more of those, too.

EDIT: Playing defense mode, I saw a party of dead people spawned nearby, like in the normal game. They were too far away to get to. Interesting.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:21:34 pm by Lectorog »

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: July 04, 2012, 07:31:55 pm »

It's a pain to get food in the forest, though. Nails and axes are too rare - I've not found an axe yet, and I'm always in need of nails. I tried building my own house in the woods, with a chainsaw, but never enough nails. Also, shovels. Need more of those, too.
It's called hunting, and it can be really useful. Or butcher your roadkill, whichever way you choose.

Building your own house from scratch probably takes too long, and you lose much more than you gain, especially if you have an extremely limited supply of food and water in the first place (which is often the case for players like me who flee the city after the first zombie they spot). Oh, and building your own house from scratch also uses up a lot of nails that could otherwise be used to board up a house or something.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: July 04, 2012, 07:36:31 pm »

How the hell do you get people to teach you things? They just keep asking me to do stupid favors and then cease to exist.

I don't really have problems surviving though, I cheese up my stats by sacrificing perception altougheder and taking trigger happy, though.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: July 04, 2012, 07:38:22 pm »

I always take Near-Sighted, Trigger Happy, Heavy Sleeper and Insomniac for my guy. Finding spare eyeglasses is a pain if your current pair is almost destroyed.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: July 04, 2012, 07:41:31 pm »

Houses are nice because they have beds, but it seems to me that the best bet for safehouses is in side one of those nice metal-walled laboratories or military bunkers. 

Or better yet, a cave.  they are often secluded, have a narrow enterance, you can dig entrenchments.  No access key required.  I was only mauled by a swarm of rats ONCE.

Something missing in the construction is like a fireing slit that you can see through (like a battered door, but less puny).

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: July 04, 2012, 07:48:39 pm »

Or better yet, a cave.  they are often secluded, have a narrow enterance, you can dig entrenchments.  No access key required.  I was only mauled by a swarm of rats ONCE.

Cataclysm- Where getting mauled by a swarm of rats once is a sign of safe shelter.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: July 04, 2012, 08:28:28 pm »

It's called hunting, and it can be really useful. Or butcher your roadkill, whichever way you choose.

Building your own house from scratch probably takes too long, and you lose much more than you gain, especially if you have an extremely limited supply of food and water in the first place (which is often the case for players like me who flee the city after the first zombie they spot). Oh, and building your own house from scratch also uses up a lot of nails that could otherwise be used to board up a house or something.
The r's, they run too fast. And I don't drive - attracts too many zombies.
The house I built was next to a pond, so water wasn't an issue. I mostly just wanted to see if I could build one from scratch.

Caves have bears in them. Bears like to eat people that go into their caves. It's hard to kill a bear with a stick. Even if the stick is heavy. Caves are not safe.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: July 04, 2012, 08:32:21 pm »

The r's, they run too fast. And I don't drive - attracts too many zombies.
The house I built was next to a pond, so water wasn't an issue. I mostly just wanted to see if I could build one from scratch.

Caves have bears in them. Bears like to eat people that go into their caves. It's hard to kill a bear with a stick. Even if the stick is heavy. Caves are not safe.
I often also find a house that's in a swamp, so water also isn't an issue for me, right up until I start hurling after I drink some of it.

Best be packing a shotgun for the fast and evasive stuff! And for the bears. A shotgun blast at close range with birdshot or the 00 buckshot kills most monsters in one hit.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: July 04, 2012, 08:33:26 pm »

I just went down in a cave to check it out and found a swarm of rats, and I tried to lose them in the subway.  With no flashlight.  Hey, there's another station across the street, I can find it.  Turns out no, but I did find an ant nest, and apparently another swarm of rats.  But I also found my way back out, then led the swarms through a gas station and tossed in a molotov.

Then I ran out of town like I owed the entire town money.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: July 04, 2012, 08:35:49 pm »

How much attention do firearms attract in the wilderness away from the cities?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:49:06 pm by Flare »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: July 04, 2012, 09:04:49 pm »

I just went down in a cave to check it out and found a swarm of rats, and I tried to lose them in the subway.  With no flashlight.  Hey, there's another station across the street, I can find it.  Turns out no, but I did find an ant nest, and apparently another swarm of rats.  But I also found my way back out, then led the swarms through a gas station and tossed in a molotov.

Then I ran out of town like I owed the entire town money.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: July 04, 2012, 09:05:41 pm »

Holy shit, I've never inspired a comic before.  So cool...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: July 04, 2012, 09:09:49 pm »

I don't think inspiration, as a concept, has ever actually intersected with the creation of a rage comic.

At any rate, a serious question: I keep hearing that the unofficial Windows builds are much more stable than the official ones. Is there any particular reason for this?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 777