Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263258 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10290 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:23 pm »

Lightning? I just forgot to put out my cooking fire before I went to bed ;)
Love, scriver~

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: July 07, 2012, 10:57:21 pm »

Lightning blowing out one of your walls and causing a massive fire is a little too common in my opinion. I like the idea that it can happen, but why does it happen almost every single time there's a lightning storm?

Probably because the game freezes all other map cells but the one you're in, so it's not very feasible for lightning to strike anywhere but your immediate vicinity.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: July 07, 2012, 11:07:04 pm »

That's why you have a fire extinguisher on hand in all safehouses you sleep in. Also, try not to sleep during thunderstorms. Also, try to get high night vision. Enviro Augs and firefighting gear are nice, but purely optional.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: July 07, 2012, 11:10:40 pm »

I think the leading cause of death in all of my games has been lightning. It's like.. an inevitable and extremely frustrating conclusion. I'll have a well-stocked safehouse that I'm hiding in to pass the time during a stormy week, and lighting never fails to clap down on top of it and cause it to burn to the ground. So with almost all of my items gone- the first aid, the food, the wood, the books- I make a run for it and try to get into a nearby house. Only to bump into something nasty like a horde of zombies let by a hulk, or a necromancer. I can run and gun (or in my case run and bow) for a while, but the stormy night eventually puts me in the dirt.
Lightning burning your house down? Never had it happen to be. Of course I've only been through one actual "Lightning Storm" and in never zapped my safe house. So it went back to a regular Thunder Storm and I slept through the night without any issues.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10294 on: July 08, 2012, 06:48:10 am »

That's why you have a fire extinguisher on hand in all safehouses you sleep in. Also, try not to sleep during thunderstorms. Also, try to get high night vision. Enviro Augs and firefighting gear are nice, but purely optional.
This has never worked for me. The only way to be perfectly safe is to sleep in a different location/map block from the one where you keep most of your equipment and run as soon as you've determined that lightning has struck your safehouse. Or sleep underground. I've gone through half a dozen extinguishers trying to fight a lightning-fire before it eventually ran completely out of control and I died from inhaling too much smoke.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: July 08, 2012, 09:18:46 am »

I didn't mean for stopping a fire. I meant for running the fuck away from the fire. Your stuff is a loss, pick up what you can, make a way through, and get the fuck out. Also, I think gas masks help with the smoke, and are readily available at military surplus stores.

Argwm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10296 on: July 08, 2012, 10:35:01 am »

A large factor about fire fighting, Don't extinguish the light flames, go for the big ones, they can grow the light flames almost instantly. Sure you have to dive into a little bit of fire to reach them, but it's worth it to keep your place from burning down.

With this method, I usually only lose 3-4 tiles to flame, If I can find the strike quickly enough.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10297 on: July 08, 2012, 10:42:10 am »

I've never tried fortifying a subway area. Mostly because every time I stay in cities, I get mauled by zombies as I'm trying to run away.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: July 08, 2012, 11:23:37 am »

So I've got some questions. I've never compiled anything in my life, and I've been trying to follow the instructions on how to get Cataclysm to work on Windows. I downloaded the source and all the MinGW files, but now I'm stuck: the instructions say to
Run the MinGW shell, navigate to the code directory and type "make -f makefile.windows"
but I've no idea what the shell is and how to run it. I assume it involved using the Command Prompt, but otherwise I've got no clue. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?  :D

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10299 on: July 08, 2012, 11:35:05 am »

Do you really WANT to compile it yourself?  There are pre-compiled windows versions for download, most easily from http://whalesdev.com/download.php
(Sorry if you knew that, I just wanted to point that out quickly to short circuit you spending a long time on a somewhat painful path that is not necessary)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: July 08, 2012, 11:36:30 am »

After installing MinGW you can find a shortcut to the MinGW Shell in your start menu (search "Ming").
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: July 08, 2012, 11:50:17 am »

Do you really WANT to compile it yourself?  There are pre-compiled windows versions for download, most easily from http://whalesdev.com/download.php
(Sorry if you knew that, I just wanted to point that out quickly to short circuit you spending a long time on a somewhat painful path that is not necessary)
Oh Glob no. Thanks for the link: the site did say there was a pre-compiled version but I couldn't find it, not for want of looking. You're a star! I've totally got it working now.

After installing MinGW you can find a shortcut to the MinGW Shell in your start menu (search "Ming").
The trouble was, only the uninstall option appeared in the start menu. Maybe I downloaded it wrong?

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: July 08, 2012, 11:54:32 am »

Just me and my food, stuck in a cave entrance, while it is storming outside, fuck.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: July 08, 2012, 12:13:58 pm »

Just me and my food, stuck in a cave entrance, while it is storming outside, fuck.

Yeah I know that feel.  I was damn lucky to have found a Warhawk with ammo to dispose of the two bears when I ran down there to escape a megastore horde, but it's been thundering rain since noon.  And I'm an insomniac so sleeping on a rock floor is probably impossible.  I wish there was some way to build beds.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: July 08, 2012, 12:16:13 pm »

That's the reason I play with Wolfy's mod :P
I can just carry around a bedroll or military cot with me.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 777