Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263535 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10305 on: July 08, 2012, 12:25:12 pm »

Heck, building floors would be a step up.

If I knew how to program, I'd totally mod in floors, light bulbs, radios, televisions, and working generators for electricity. Imagine what you could do with a boring old cave!
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: July 08, 2012, 12:34:07 pm »

You can build floors and cielings. Wolfy's also reworked the way construction of them works so they only require two orthagonally adjacent support tiles instead of a flood fill to walls.
*Hugs*

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: July 08, 2012, 12:39:20 pm »

Well my character died, a shame... but 48 kills, ending in him running through a town blazing away at anything that moves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: July 08, 2012, 12:56:09 pm »

You're getting struck by lightning?  I've already taken a proactive defense against lightning strikes.  I don't sleep in any building that has a toilet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: July 08, 2012, 01:04:22 pm »

You're getting struck by lightning?  I've already taken a proactive defense against lightning strikes.  I don't sleep in any building that has a toilet.
Ah, yes. The #1 reason for living in a bunker.  :P

I'd love to see electricity as well; set up a solar collection array and use it to power lights in my bunker! Or floodlights to light up the outside. :3

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: July 08, 2012, 01:17:56 pm »

Only if you can instal a lesser version of the items onto a vehicle.  The places I get to never have enough resources to last me very long, and making longer and longer treks back to my installed items seems a chore.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: July 08, 2012, 02:08:47 pm »

That would make sense; no reason why you couldn't build a generator of some sort into your mobile base, or strap lights onto the outside.

3. Run Resize Enable

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: July 08, 2012, 08:24:59 pm »

wait, what?

Is there logic about electrical grounding built into where lightning strikes?  I thought I read about someone sleeping in a grocery store and then a gas station, both of which were struck by lightening -- And I think neither of those have toilets in the game.

But that does remind me that the game could use some better architecture.  All commercial buildings should have restrooms.  Larger stores should have stock areas and breakrooms.  Grocery stores and big-box stores should have loading docks.  Most likey Whales has never worked in retail.  Or gone shopping with a woman who has a small bladder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: July 08, 2012, 08:35:04 pm »

It's not a matter of realism, it's a matter of constraint.  You'd have to fit that all into a single map tile, which definitely doesn't have room for a loading dock or employee area.

When lightning strikes, it targets a nearby impassable tile.  This can include a toilet.  Previously, lightning strikes were a LOT more common.  While striking a wall is fine, people really notice when it strikes a toilet.  It became a running joke that toilets attract lightning.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: July 08, 2012, 08:48:02 pm »

Admittedly, the map tiles could fit a lot more detail into one space if the rooms were smaller.  The average house in cataclysm has one bedroom that's a good ten meters tall and wide.  It's basically a question of what kind of gameplay you want, and Whales went for having a good amount of room to walk around even indoors.

You really have to just throw out a sense of "realism" in the architecture.  The roads are as wide as houses, the very suburban style houses have no yards, the "megastores" are the size of a corner grocery and have no loading or stock space, and no parking lots unless the map generator decides to draw a 4x8 block of roadway intersections in front of the door.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: July 08, 2012, 08:52:16 pm »

That would make sense; no reason why you couldn't build a generator of some sort into your mobile base, or strap lights onto the outside.
I suppose it would give a more obvious use to the electric motors I've been finding recently. To build a makeshift generator to light your safehouses would be kind of cool, but you'd need plenty of batteries lying around to keep it running for a reasonable amount of time.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: July 08, 2012, 08:54:19 pm »

I suppose it would give a more obvious use to the electric motors I've been finding recently. To build a makeshift generator to light your safehouses would be kind of cool, but you'd need plenty of batteries lying around to keep it running for a reasonable amount of time.
We've already got solar panels and electric engines for vehicles, as well as gasoline (and plasma) engines. No reason why we couldn't have generators using any of those sources that I can think of.

3. Run Resize Enable

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: July 08, 2012, 08:57:58 pm »

We've already got solar panels and electric engines for vehicles, as well as gasoline (and plasma) engines. No reason why we couldn't have generators using any of those sources that I can think of.
Yeah, but I've never found a single solar panel as of yet, and the electric motors have to get their energy from something. Batteries, although they have much better uses, could be used as a substitute, but they'd only have to be an emergency energy source (i.e. if something destroys the solar panel(s) you do have). Plus, the gasoline engines would be noisy and emit toxic fumes, and hydrogen/plasma packs are super rare.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10318 on: July 08, 2012, 11:59:18 pm »

You can build floors and cielings. Wolfy's also reworked the way construction of them works so they only require two orthagonally adjacent support tiles instead of a flood fill to walls.

Does building a ceiling create a floor? If so, I'm moving to the nearest cave pronto. If not, I don't see any options for building floors.

And Wolfy's new mod doesn't come precompiled yet, and I don't want to fiddle with that.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: July 09, 2012, 12:02:09 am »

Ceilings and floors are the same construction, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 777