Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263000 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10755 on: July 23, 2012, 07:40:46 pm »

I have discovered that hospitals are zombie pinatas.   Now if only my car had a horn so I could just drive back and fourth in front of it horn blaring and clear the inside of the hospital instead of just the ones milling around the lobby. :P

I wonder how feasible it is to make a car that is nothing but 5 layers of forward frame and armor plating, a seat, controls, and a few big wheels just for breaking & entering purposes.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: July 23, 2012, 09:14:16 pm »

You should probably go to whalesdev and check out the forums. There's a vehicle building thread. Girlinhat suggested a highly armored vehicle with a single tile up front to puncture holes in buildings.

My own vehicle extension mod is in the modding portion of the whalesdev forum and I will not post updates here anymore.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: July 23, 2012, 10:25:22 pm »

My ideal "breaking and entering" vehicle would feature a single piece of Hard Plating over Steel Frame in the front, followed by regular vehicle bits.  This provides a big enough hole to slip in, in case you don't have enough military IDs or something.

For "breaking and continuing through to break the other side" then a 3 wide set of frames with steel armor followed by frames with hard plate would probably do well.  The main thing you'll want is speed though, so the rear of the vehicle would be poorly armored, or non-existent.  A motorcycle with ramming plates wouldn't be a bad idea really.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: July 24, 2012, 12:11:26 am »

The RNG just jipped me.

Spoiler: WOT (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10759 on: July 24, 2012, 12:55:50 am »

Sorry Greiger!  Your princess is in another castle!

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: July 24, 2012, 02:58:47 am »

Turrets are much less of a challenge with Night Vision and a shotgun. Stand two tiles away in the dark and blam.

The RNG has been out to get me too. My last character started next to a huge town, with plenty of resources but not a single welder. Nor did I find one in the next town or the two after that. I searched 30 hardware stores and 5 megastores, and nothing. I had 6 UPSs full of stored batteries, just waiting to be used.

My next character started next to a very small town. I've had to trudge over 250 maptiles on foot to find my next (slightly bigger) town. Naturally, it has a single hardware store with a welder, wrench and hacksaw. But no parking lots.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: July 24, 2012, 04:38:21 am »

The trick is the slim profile.  It's significantly easier to barrel through a 3-wide wall than a 5-wide.  But at the same time, that'd give you only 1 wide walkway inside.  For a little movement room and some turrets, you'd need at least 5.  Dual-mounted 6L would probably give you enough power to push through any building though, provided you have good Hard Plating on the front of course.

My custom 5 wide vehicle has just a line of steel plated frames at the front, and the wheels behind that frame also steel plated and it happily busts through buildings with only a single 2.5l engine.

I've yet to find a 6l one :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: July 24, 2012, 02:36:01 pm »

I took the tires off a quad and put them on my car and gained a whole lot of speed.  The K Dynamics and K Mass changed a ton and I have no idea what that means, but it seems I can now shoot a 3700 pound sharp bladed object down a road at 70 miles per hour with the base 2.5L engine.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can't wait til I hit a squirrel.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10763 on: July 24, 2012, 03:36:56 pm »

I took the tires off a quad and put them on my car and gained a whole lot of speed.  The K Dynamics and K Mass changed a ton and I have no idea what that means, but it seems I can now shoot a 3700 pound sharp bladed object down a road at 70 miles per hour with the base 2.5L engine.

Can't wait til I hit a squirrel.

Knowing this game, you're car will probably explode on squirrelly impact.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: July 24, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »

I've yet to find a 6l one :(
That's kind of funny because I found one almost right of the bat on my current character, who has no mechanics skill and no way of acquiring a vehicle.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: July 24, 2012, 04:12:41 pm »

I started with 0 mechanics skill and found a car in a parking lot.  I spent a day reading a book up to mechanics 3, found a welder kiting a mob through a megastore, and just regular maintenance repairing damage once a part gets to yellow or below got me up to 5.  And that seems to be enough to basically move around the country freely in regards to car design.

I'm up to 7 now and I think the only things I still can't do is mount a flamethrower or plasma gun (I can mount a standard machine gun fine), or add a second engine (although I can replace my current one with anything but a plasma engine, adding a second engine of any type requires 12 mechanics).

My car in the screenshot has 4 storage trunks, en entirely armor plated front end with extra plated frames to protect the front wheels, 2 machetes sticking out of the grill, 2 gas tanks, and all the seats and roof sections stripped out except for the roof around the drivers seat.  And I can open the drivers side door to make the drivers seat regster as outdoors, letting me recharge my solar bionic on a sunny day while driving.  All made by somebody who spawned with 0 mechanics skill.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:20:16 pm by Greiger »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10766 on: July 24, 2012, 07:21:26 pm »

I found two parking lots next to each other within the starting map. One had a car and the other had a truck. Other games I have to go through half a dozen big cities and a couple dozen parking lots just to find one motorcycle.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: July 24, 2012, 07:29:51 pm »

Is the Whalesdev site giving 404 for anyone else?

I was gonna go search for the error "cannot find empty invlet" when entering the craft menu. It's currently appearing every time I view that menu and considering how many times I've crashed or had my saves corrupted this version, I'm a little wary of actually trying to craft anything. xP
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: July 24, 2012, 08:12:25 pm »

I do believe Teseng just now fixed it.

Aninimouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: July 24, 2012, 08:16:14 pm »

I was gonna go search for the error "cannot find empty invlet" when entering the craft menu. It's currently appearing every time I view that menu and considering how many times I've crashed or had my saves corrupted this version, I'm a little wary of actually trying to craft anything. xP

Yeah, I'm getting 404 errors too. Now that I'm at this thread though, might as well share something I built a while back:

Fake Edit: Well, was getting a 404 Error.

I present to you the...

Spoiler: Screenshots and Stuff (click to show/hide)

Also, for bonus points, someone in the IRC told me to use all the Plastic Bottles I had lying around in my Megastore Fortress to make a Giant Plastic Bottle, so this is what they got:

I also remember the first time I found a Quad Bike, I was going so fast I drove straight into a Minefield and was killed, but my next character spawned in an Evac Shelter right next to the road the Quad Bike and Minefield was on, so I figured: "Hey, if the Quad Bike survived at least I can go grab it and my stuff." So I started running up the road and onto a bridge when I started getting Debug Messages about a vehicle. I had no idea what they were supposed to mean, but I figured it just had something to do with dieing while driving it. So I continued onwards when suddenly!:

The Quad Bike sped straight at me and ran me over, killing me.
He'd killed a man before one time, with his bare hands, and he could do it again, if he put something in his bare hands like a knife or a gun or something that he could kill somebody with.
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 777