Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448256 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #360 on: July 13, 2011, 07:22:56 am »

I just realized that this is the QWOP of simulation games.
Its not that hard. We haven't had to try docking in orbit yet. Or dodging the space debris of previous flights. Or both at once.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 13, 2011, 07:34:04 am »

So I built a rocket with multiple capsules, gave them parachutes, and ejected them with the boosters they were on top of. Turns out that (a) their parachutes don't work, and (b) there are clones of the crew in each capsule!

Bob, Bill, and Jeb died so many times.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Oh the kerbalanity)

You have to give parachutes the order to fire before you decouple them, otherwise they don't get the order.  So you have to fire parachutes, then decouple.  And it's sad the Pilot Cams are in the first Command Modual that hits the ground :(.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 13, 2011, 08:20:31 am »

So I built a rocket with multiple capsules, gave them parachutes, and ejected them with the boosters they were on top of. Turns out that (a) their parachutes don't work, and (b) there are clones of the crew in each capsule!

(Oh the kerbalanity)

You have to give parachutes the order to fire before you decouple them, otherwise they don't get the order.  So you have to fire parachutes, then decouple.  And it's sad the Pilot Cams are in the first Command Modual that hits the ground :(.

I believe that the parachutes also only work when the main command pod hits 300 or so metres above sea level.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 13, 2011, 08:34:56 am »

(Oh the kerbalanity)

I believe that the parachutes also only work when the main command pod hits 300 or so metres above sea level.
Nope, you can engage the parachutes very low to the ground, it's just that you're not going to survive if you're falling fast.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 13, 2011, 09:00:44 am »

(Oh the kerbalanity)

Nope, you can engage the parachutes very low to the ground, it's just that you're not going to survive if you're falling fast.

No, what I meant was that the parachut only unfolds and switches to brake mode when the main command pod hits 300m or so.

In other news, an SAS unit slows acceleration by about 0.4 m/s^2.

An orange fuel tank (full) weighs about 6.6 SASs.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 13, 2011, 09:22:14 am »

Okay, we have some interesting news. Thanks to Codecimal, we have confirmation that greater weight has less slowing effect on your ship, in diminishing returns.

Numbers crunched

240 m/s for one orange liquid fuel tank
175 m/s for two
135 m/s for three

This is all from a standing start, with ten seconds of acceleration.

However, with less starting weight, adding a weight has a GREATER effect. This confirms the theory of diminishing returns.

229 m/s for one tank, one SAS
168 m/s for two tanks one sas
131 m/s for three tanks one sas.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:09 am »

Is there a way to disable the automatic stage configuration? Or manually edit stages in some kind of external editor? Because when you have a rocket with 18 boosters that need to fire in batches of 6, you have to do a lot of drag'n'drop every time you alter the design.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 13, 2011, 09:56:46 am »

Me and Dsark have been hurping and/or derping for the past bit.

Here is the raw data we collected. I'm sure someone with experience in physics or something could figure out the weights and thrusts from it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 13, 2011, 10:07:42 am »

As in, you checked that you didn't have the rockets activating in the same phase as you decoupled them?
They don't start up properly if you do that anyway.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 13, 2011, 10:08:13 am »

SO ADORABLE!
From someone on the SA forum:

Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 13, 2011, 10:14:55 am »

Okay, we have some interesting news. Thanks to Codecimal, we have confirmation that greater weight has less slowing effect on your ship, in diminishing returns.

Numbers crunched

240 m/s for one orange liquid fuel tank
175 m/s for two
135 m/s for three

This is all from a standing start, with ten seconds of acceleration.

However, with less starting weight, adding a weight has a GREATER effect. This confirms the theory of diminishing returns.

229 m/s for one tank, one SAS
168 m/s for two tanks one sas
131 m/s for three tanks one sas.
Hmm....
...Wait a minute.
Last I checked, SAS modules don't weigh a negative amount.
Even better, those numbers have LESS change.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 13, 2011, 10:18:02 am »

Is there a way to disable the automatic stage configuration? Or manually edit stages in some kind of external editor? Because when you have a rocket with 18 boosters that need to fire in batches of 6, you have to do a lot of drag'n'drop every time you alter the design.

The .craft file can be manually edited in notepad, each component has a value specifying which stage it's in. To my knowledge, there's no 3rd party editor for these at the moment.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 13, 2011, 10:18:31 am »

When did we say SAS weighed a negative amount?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 13, 2011, 10:40:43 am »

When did we say SAS weighed a negative amount?
Looking back at it, the issue is actually that you have the numbers set up backwards.
As it stands, you're implying that "tank + SAS" weighs less than "tank".
I won't get into the full grammatical explanation of why that is the case, suffice to say it is.
You've tied the two sets of numbers to the wrong of the two sets of phrases.

...Getting back on topic here, has anybody been patient enough to complete more than one orbit in one run?
I haven't :P

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 13, 2011, 10:47:00 am »

A full vanilla design that works!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 848