Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448733 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2955 on: December 09, 2012, 03:54:39 pm »

I think an ASAS unit might be a good addition too, to keep the station pointed at one heading while stuff docks with it.

Pretty much a requirement. Infact, you're crazy for having done it without it :P
Magma is overrated.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2956 on: December 09, 2012, 03:56:11 pm »

It sure would be helpful if you could switch between craft without having to go to the Orbit map or the Tracking Station.
[ and ] switch between nearby craft/kerbals. Congratulations on your successful docking and Mun landing.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: December 09, 2012, 03:58:56 pm »

I think an ASAS unit might be a good addition too, to keep the station pointed at one heading while stuff docks with it.

Pretty much a requirement. Infact, you're crazy for having done it without it :P

At least I can hang my hat on that.  Good to know I was doing it the hard way, because everyone else seemed to nail to a lot quicker.  This does mean that I'll have to Iron Man another docking mission to get the damn thing there, but at least I know what to do now.  Namely, punch the GO button and hope for the best.

And I've got a pretty good idea of what kind of launchers is needed for what size paylod.

It sure would be helpful if you could switch between craft without having to go to the Orbit map or the Tracking Station.
[ and ] switch between nearby craft/kerbals.

Really?  Well whaddaya know.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2958 on: December 09, 2012, 05:28:38 pm »

Wow, way to make me feel bad Aqizzar. If you're what you call a bad player, I don't think there's a name for me. I am failing miserably at all this.

I also haven't really figured out the manoeuvre planner. Mk1 Eyeball is what I use... not quite the best thing ever ;)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: December 09, 2012, 06:29:29 pm »

As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: December 09, 2012, 06:32:03 pm »

it is easier to dock if you get your docking ports pointing to the normal or antinormal of the orbit so that they don't move around while  you're trying your maneuvers.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: December 09, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »

I thought any kind of SAS module on a station made it go wibbly wobbly? Or is that just from having multiple ASAS?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2962 on: December 09, 2012, 08:56:46 pm »

My interplanetary commsat is up and orbiting. Yay

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also a view from the first test of my probes which will soon be scattered around Mun

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:32:44 pm by forsaken1111 »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: December 09, 2012, 10:33:42 pm »

Forsaken: Is that a mod? If so which one?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: December 10, 2012, 08:21:27 pm »

Major Progress!

The space station was expanded with larger habitat modules and is now capable of supporting many more kerbals.
I wanted to make a heavy lifter that wasn't too close to the usual asparagus heavy-lifter, so I made this monstrosity:
Spoiler: Launch pad (click to show/hide)
The initial stage consists of the big orange tank with 5 LV-T45 (because thrust vectoring is a must) engines and 9 aerospikes. I think. It's aided by three liquid fuel booster rockets with two aerospikes each and their own droptanks supported by girders. And struts. Lots of struts.
Spoiler: Droptanks dropped (click to show/hide)
I love the girders. They're so badass they don't even care if the booster rockets come crashing down on them and explode.
Spoiler: Booster stage (click to show/hide)
The second stage is a booster stage as the nuclear engines themselves are unable to achieve orbit alone with such a heavy payload.
Spoiler: Transfer stage (click to show/hide)
The third stage is the orbit transfer stage. With nuclear engines, we're sure to reach our target destination. The cap is popped and it gets to burn up in the atmosphere (technically collide with the planet).

Then it's just a matter of intercepting, line up and dock. Once docked, the engine decouples and its on-board "AI" deorbits itself. I also launched up a second habitat module for symmetry's sake.
Spoiler: Docking (click to show/hide)
Now the space station has so many parts KSP has to slow down time to prevent physics from committing suicide.

And finally, after gruesome testing, many revisions and hair-pulling moments, the Populator Mk I:
Spoiler: The Populator (click to show/hide)
Okay, that's the alpha version. But the newer version has ladders, RCS and a docking clamp. This SSTO ship has been a real pain to design. Note to self: Fuck the Mk3 Cockpit. It's too heavy, has very bad support for gear placement, its adapters make it too long and places too little mass at the tail and generally screws everything up. Use the Mk2 or Mk1.

Originally planned to transport 7 kerbals up to the space station, it's capability was reduced to 5 to save my sanity. This design went from Populator I-IIi (sic) to Populator Crazy, Populator Sane, Madness and finally Pigs and all their own revisions. The current design was derived from the Pigs series (also somewhat derived from the Skybee IX). Many kerbals were lost in its creation. So many that time slowed down at KSC. It's a wonder why the KSA didn't rescind its funding after so many deaths and catastrophic failures. I bet they won't be writing that in the history books.

In any case, the Populator Mk I achieves orbit around 70-80 km and has barely enough rocket fuel left to reach the space station at 200 km. Timing is of the essence. Flight plan is critical:
  • The moment the plane loads up, HIT THE BRAKES. Check the controls that they work. Pre-trim the pitch to the fourth notch above 0º, activate avionics and set to full throttle.
  • Turn on the turbojet while hitting the brakes. Stop hitting them once the jet engines reach 100 kN. Accelerate to 100 m/s at least and deactivate avionics.
  • Let the plane raise its nose to roughly 70º and activate avionics. Climb steeply to 10-11 km. Around 8-9 km incrementally lower your nose to 30-40 º. Maintain 90º heading.
  • Climb slowly up while picking up horizontal speed. At 18-19 km activate rockets and lower the thrust to 2/3. Increase pitch slightly for higher vertical speed. Watch your total air intake. Decrease throttle if needed to conserve fuel while still accelerating.
  • Once total air intake reaches 21, cut off jet engines and climb steeply up to 35 km with full throttle. Don't forget to close intakes.
  • At the mark, lower pitch to 30-40 º. Set throttle to 2/3 or less once apoapsis is 50-60 km.
  • At mark, level pitch and slowly burn for orbit at 70 km or higher.

In the end, I ended up with 300 total rocket fuel. Orbit correction and transfer took that down to 100.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2966 on: December 10, 2012, 08:38:37 pm »

So why is it that it seems docking is an easy, everyday task for everyone except me? @_@

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: December 10, 2012, 08:41:26 pm »

I have no idea. probably the same way i cant orbit, or go to the mun.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: December 10, 2012, 08:48:07 pm »

Docking: right click the target port and set target, right click your own port and 'control from here'.
Enable docking mode in bottom left, spacebar now changed between linear and rotation settings for your RCS thrusters.
Make it so that your navball is set to 'target.' If it's not click the area where it either says 'orbit' or 'surface' until it does.
Make your prograde indicator point towards the purple circle looking thing.
Hit V to set camera to 'chase' mode if it helps

Orbit: Once out of atmosphere, burn prograde (preferably near apoapsis) until periapsis is out of atmosphere.

Go to mun: Plan a maneuver that will preferably burn near your periapsis until you get Mun encounter. Remember you can also shift the position of the maneuver so if you have a burn that reaches Mun's orbit but doesn't intersect, move the maneuver until you get an intersect. Might need to adjust the thrust if your orbit is elliptical.
Keep in mind a maneuver tells you how much Delta-V is needed to perform the maneuver assuming it were possible to accelerate instantaneously. You may need to burn earlier thatn you think. Also watch the blue marker, you'll want to turn so that you're facing it at all times, it might shift to help you compensate for a mistake you've made.

EDIT: Go to Minmus: follow the same procedures in the above, except when you set Minmus as target you will find an ascending and descending node on your orbit. Your goal should be to plan a maneuver at the ascending or decending node and use the purple triangles in the planner to get your inclination as close to Minmus's inclination as possible. Afterwards just follow the steps above.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:54:17 pm by OzyTheSage »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: December 10, 2012, 09:22:40 pm »

So why is it that it seems docking is an easy, everyday task for everyone except me? @_@

Don't worry, it's not.  It's totally not.

My second docking attempt just took me like an hour of screwing around, after an hour of setting up the orbit.  I barely achieved orbit almost exactly opposite my station with about a third a tank of fuel to maneuver, and figured I'd just leave the vessel in orbit and come back to rescue the crew as another training exercise.  But I did some math (in my head) and realized that I could get to a higher orbit above the target, then wait for them to get close and translate closer planetward to meet it.  This wound up taking about 36 hours in-game, all of my rocket fuel, and four approaches to finally get close enough.

Spoiler: Success. (click to show/hide)

I'm not going to complain about the funky connection on the command segment (I still haven't successfully upgraded from 0.18.0), after I basically docked by knocking into the port at 0.05m/s from a twenty degree angle until I pushed it enough to connect.  But at least now the station doesn't look or handle like a boomerang, and has a native ASAS to keep position for the hopefully easier third dock.

Which is good, because I need to get Rodfrod and Commander Bill back.  He's the only Kerbonaut to survive two missions so far (perished on about five counting the abortive attempts to get this module into space), so while he would make a good resident and I can tell he doesn't want the job.  I'm thinking something with a max-size fuel tank and a cargo pod, as an all-purpose lifter experiment.

Judging by the stuttering I got during the approach, I also think I'm reaching the maximum number of parts my laptop can support.  Not sure what to do about that.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 848