Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448613 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone else have the problem where turning on RCS and ASAS causes your ship to wobble away every last drop of your mono-propellent? I swear, ships that were 100% stable in 18.1 suddenly dance back and forth across the intended heading in 18.2.

It is frustrating to watch. I have ASAS on, then I turn on RCS, and it yaws right just slightly, the it yaws left to correct, the yaws right harder to correct. After a few seconds it is full yaw right, full yaw left, over and over.

Makes docking almost impossible.

Am I just putting on too many RCS ports?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

about fuel usage: all .1 ship have wrong fuel value in their rcs tanks.

about wobblines: rcs in .2 now use full force to turn your ship around, so it is possible that a .1 ship is now overcontrolled.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

about wobblines: rcs in .2 now use full force to turn your ship around, so it is possible that a .1 ship is now overcontrolled.

I thought about this so I build a new design in 18.2 and had the same problem.

I am considering a complete fresh install next with a simple ship to orbit just to see how rcs + asas react, but I was hoping for a simple solution.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I thought about this so I build a new design in 18.2 and had the same problem.

I am considering a complete fresh install next with a simple ship to orbit just to see how rcs + asas react, but I was hoping for a simple solution.
IIRC they increased the power and consumption of RCS thrusters.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

No they made them all use the same power, irregardless of distance from the center.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems like there's an issue with their PID control, so you can turn RCS and SAS on and it will never stablise itself properly.
Magma is overrated.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

It's less an issue with the PID, and more an issue with it just being a plain PID. It cannot account for wobble, it just tries to aim one end of a bendy stick in one direction while the other end keeps flailing around and makes the system try to correct again, only worsening the situation. Anything reasonably rigid, or set up in a way that allows it to rotate without flexing, will eventually be stabilized.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A pid can and do account for wobble.

The problem with a pid is that it is a response-specific control sistem; in other world a pid wich can control a light craft can't control a huge and heavy one and vice versa; it also applies to the amount of rcs available: too little and won't converge, to much and will wobble.

You have to aim at the precise control/weight ratio for which this particular pid is tuned to, or you can change pid index into the asas part.

Note that you can also creathe clones of the asas part, call it heavy and light and give each a different tuning. There was a mod which did that before mechjeb.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am confused. What is PID anyway and is there any short answer for fixing my crafts? Even the fully ridged ones run into this problem, though to a lesser extent.

Also it seems like in 18.1 vessel control in space without RCS was easier than it is now. In 18.2 I can't even change my heading without RCS on.

Not having ASAS and RCS for docking makes things almost impossible, and in the current situation I run out of RCS from the wobble long before I dock (I am not very good at it, admittedly.)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wikipedia will explain it better than i can put it into words.

The answer to fixing our crafts is just going to be to wait for the next update, unfortunately.
Magma is overrated.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

wikipedia will explain it better than i can put it into words.

The answer to fixing our crafts is just going to be to wait for the next update, unfortunately.

<3 calculus

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I will just go back down to 18.1 then...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

Docking seems like an immense headache. I managed to bounce off the station once, but actually getting the docking ports to line up seems... like it takes some work.

Spoiler: Almost... (click to show/hide)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

get your doking port facing the orbit normal so it doesn't move while docking when relative to the other vessel

in 18.1 if you left asas on the other vessel on while docking it used to keep the vessel in the orientation you left it; can't say if it applies to 18.2

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

WOW, that thing looks so cool! :o
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 848