Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448805 times)

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5580 on: September 30, 2013, 08:09:26 am »

how do you launch those large, 4-engine landers? I keep trying to get one into orbit, and then to Mun so I can start kethane mining, but the rocket only ever gets up a few hundred feet before tipping over.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5581 on: September 30, 2013, 08:17:14 am »

how do you launch those large, 4-engine landers? I keep trying to get one into orbit, and then to Mun so I can start kethane mining, but the rocket only ever gets up a few hundred feet before tipping over.
Add more SAS and/or RCS.  In the atmosphere wings will also help.

If you're feeling more engineering, then a wider footprint helps - specifically if you would put a few long girders with engines on the edges, it can increase your stability by spreading your thrust.  It can be tricky to get right, but if you position your thrust relative to your mass just right, things get real stable.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: September 30, 2013, 10:14:40 am »

Thrust vectored main stack, SAS, fine controls. Make a long rocket, make it balanced, aim for a TWR of 2. Little winglets help control roll.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Also notice that you have center of thrust, gravity and pressure indicators enabled from the button below the component palette. Make sure cebter of pressure is behind center of gravity by a fair bit (indicator only calculates wing not cones and parts. Far mod fixes that but it is hard )

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just in case there's anyone not paying attention. News of the update progress came out yesterday.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/217-KSP-Weekly-October-1-2013

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/971-Doing-Science-Celestial-Body-Biomes%21

TL;DR: As of the next update we'll have reasons to visit other planets. Science will be possible from both orbit and the ground. This science will need to be returned either via radio communications or by directly returning a science capsule to Kerbin. Not only will there be science to do in space though, but plenty to do on Kerbin as well as different biomes will have different science benefits. Additionally, while biomes themselves will have different benefits to science up, specific sites might have even different bonuses. (Example given was Kerbin Grasslands versus the Kerbin Space Center grass.) Part R&D is still a big thing as well.

TL;DR:TL;DR: They say it's the biggest update they've ever done to KSP.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

WHY WAS THIS NOT ON THE MAIN PAGE

I keep checking their main page for their weekly updates. They do an amazing job at them, AND they're a really competent team that keeps producing results. Love'em :)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

SQUEE 8D

*play portal's "still alive in his head*
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

SQUEE 8D

*play portal's "still alive in his head*
"We do what we must because we can."
KSP in a nutshell.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Yep, next version adds career mode.

There's no reason to not be excited about that.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

"Disable radiation safety"
Excellent.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Following up on this post, the mission to rescue SpaceTug Two, along with Erbree Kerman, who are both stranded on the Mun, had finally occured! With only two major problems along the way, even.

The launch went fairly uneventfully, though the wobbles had at one point required turning off SAS and manually steering the rocket to prevent it from accidentally shearing off something important. Still, the pusher stage did its job admirably, and the refueling rover is Mun-bound, with just under half the lander stage's fuel remaining.

The transfer to the Mun and the landing process were in one part too uneventful for screenshots, and in the other part too exciting to remember to make them, but it went thus.

Approaching the Mun with a "fall-in" ballistic trajectory, the rover uses up its lander stage to kill most of the horizontal velocity, which leaves it with nothing but its own reserves of fuel, and six 24-77 engines. The control module is oriented forward, so killing the rest of the velocity and controlling the descent cannot be effectively done with just the navball - but thankfully the rover has decent allowances for drift at landing. In the ridiculously low Mun gravity, a vehicle that can manage an emergency powered landing on Kerbin, lands effortlessly, with just over two tanks of fuel used up - eating 25% of the fuel intended for the stranded tug. But no matter - it should be enough. And from here, it's all driving. The target is a mere 14 kilometers away.

And only at that point did I remember to make a screenshot.

So, everything looks nice, and the rover reaches the tug fine... but here comes the first problem. And it's a derp.

Did you know that if you put two KAS winches with grappling hooks on the front of your rover, and your rover accidentally bumps into something - say, the ground - with its nose, it will stick in? Now you do.
It could have been resolved from that point, perhaps by dragging the tug over with its own winch and helping the rover down, but I just tried using the RCS to help it land the right way down, and then released the hooks - the physics freaked out and the rover pirouetted onto its roof, breaking off the RCS tanks. Welp. Reload.

The quicksave puts me back on the descent trajectory, so I do a better job of it this time - keeping the rover's engines on low thrust and essentially "gliding" towards the rocket instead of driving there.

Ended up using up even more fuel though... no matter. It's barely a drive from here.

Erbree is happy... but the cost of yet another broken solar panel is going to be docked from his pay.
The fuel transfer goes easily enough. Two side tanks are full, and two more are about half full - more than enough for a return trip. The rover extends its panels and goes into standby mode - it's probably not going to see much use until someone else goes back here. Maybe to give it a lift.

The blue pearl of Kerbin shines tantalizingly into the cockpit's side window. Time to go.

The return is simple enough, again. Some fiddling with the entry angle, and SpaceTug Two is on an aerobraking trajectory passing quite near the KSC. The soothing blackness of space soon starts to get pretty hot.

With final bits of fuel, Erbree corrects the trajectory so that the aerobraking doesn't plunge him into the ocean - effectively rocket-skipping off the atmosphere for a little "hop" into space, and coming down again - safely over land.

Within an hour's drive from KSC, even. Now, as long as parachutes don't fail, everything should be just fine.

Um.

You know, this could have been much worse. :P

Still, though. Disregarding the fact that a pusher stage was left in orbit, necessitating another SpaceTug mission, and a rover has been left on the Mun without any science equipment... success! ^_^

(And true to Kerbal nature, five minutes later Erbree gets himself killed trying to ride the winch hook up to get at the lander's ladder so he can get in and turn off the landing lights.

Yeah. >_>

Oh well.)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

He died in the end?!

Then it truly was a successful flight.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

career mode? Science?
This'll be the update that makes me finally buy the full version.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

I can now successfully impact the moon consistently. I'm getting better.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

I can now successfully impact the moon consistently. I'm getting better.
But can you do it with precision? Precision is important.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 848