Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443902 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Everything is air-droppable at least once.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I finally had some time to play the update (babies eat your time like nothing else).  I love having an actual objective!  I switched to Windows to play it (normally I'd use Linux, but the stupid framerate issues are annoying).

Got myself in a flyby of Mun after I unlocked the smaller, higher-Isp rocket.  I then realized what gravity assist really means when I saw that by going within 5000 km of the Mun's surface, I'd be escaping Kerbin orbit.  Managed to burn enough to get myself going back to Kerbin, and entered the atmosphere at 3000 m/s.  Fortunately it was a narrow entry angle, so it survived.  I managed to get within a few meters of the surface with a powered descent, (I wanted to do a little more science from wherever I touched down).  Then I got sticky-keys'd and remembered one of the many reasons I hate Windows.

My rocket survived, but it fell over, so I didn't get to do the extra science.  Oh well.  Later I used the exact same rocket design to land on Minimus.

EDIT: Also, if you're like me, some of you may not have realized that debris is disabled in map view by default now.  If you enable it, you can switch to and recover any debris that's sitting on Kerbin.  I got a little extra science when I did this because one of my goo pods apparently fell off when my rocket fell over, and I never realized I had left it behind.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:44:17 pm by Canisaur »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

The closer you get to the target of your gravity assist, the better the effect.  I usually try and pass within 10km of Mun surface to get maximum effect.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Isent it normally not all that worth it?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

For the effort to get to Munar orbit, you can achieve escape velocity from Kerbin.  It's ~860 Dv to get to Mun intercept, but ~1,120 Dv.  That alone is 300Dv you can save.

Do this multiple times trying to get more velocity, you can get some strong speed with proper use of gravity and patience.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This little probe can deorbit from 100km above Kerbin with 6.02/10 fuel still in it. It's intended for a space station around Duna. The only thing missing is RCS to transfer from the solar arm that's also going out on this trip. I don't have ion unlocked yet. Of course it's no good for anything without atmosphere.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It sucks that attaching things by clampotron in VAB is so wonky/doesn't work. Rotating the Science Jr. also sucks if you want it aligned to a decoupler.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, Kethane, KAS, and Mechjeb are already available for 0.22.  I'll be adding those back in when I get time to play this weekend.  I enjoy doing stuff to the two Kerbin moons manually but I use Mechjeb to plan my interplanetary jaunts.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ye gods I suck at this game so hard. Does having multiples of the same science modules yield extra science at all? That way I could at least have a semi-balanced probe...
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ye gods I suck at this game so hard. Does having multiples of the same science modules yield extra science at all? That way I could at least have a semi-balanced probe...

Each module can be used in different locations, but multiple scans of the same location won't really help you. SO. If you make a buggy and drive to different locations with unique science with the intent to recover them, use more than one of the same science module.

I have never used kethane. I guess now is as good a time as any.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:29:08 pm by BigD145 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I've found this map very helpful for planning my missions. Its not 100% accurate as that depends on how efficient you are, but it gives a good rough guide.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/33428-How-to-get-to-the-mun-and-back-(SIMPLE-TUTORIAL)-Not-Completed-Yet!

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile

Does having multiples of the same science modules yield extra science at all? That way I could at least have a semi-balanced probe...

Yes, but there are diminishing returns. After a few times you get 0 science from repeating a particular experiment.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

So... Im using FAR and I can't seem to close the windows, how do?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

So... Im using FAR and I can't seem to close the windows, how do?
Can't close them completely, but you can minimize them by clicking on the header button (it's right above the window itself). If you can't see the button you'll need to drag the window down first.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile

Isnt it kinda impossible to play KSP science mode with FAR? I mean, without fins..
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Has anyone else been getting a bug where when you go EVA, your kerbal flops through the ground and then your screen goes black, your altimeter spazzes out, and the game crashes? It's really ticking me off, landed on the Mun ready to bring back a ton of Science and then that happened.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 848